Does anyone care to share : )

Paulg
Displaced Yooper
Premium Member
join:2004-03-15
Neenah, WI

Paulg

Premium Member

From the forum FAQ: »Cisco Forum FAQ »How/where do I get Cisco images (such as IOS, PIX/ASA OS)?

If you want the latest code, for most gear, you'll need an active SmartNet contract.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to peterisen

MVM

to peterisen
What's wrong with this picture, gee, let me think about that... if you can afford an ASR1K but can't get smartnet to get the IOS legitimately, so you resort to asking here...
Nothing personal OP, but that's like (s)kiddies hopping on the first forum board they come across and saying "OMG! Need Win [insert here] ISO / key / gen ASAP!" Never mind the legal ramifications of that.

Otherwise 2nd Paulg See Profile 's response entirely.

Regards
meta
join:2004-12-27

meta

In OP's defence, an asr1002 is 2k-5k on ebay or a grey market reseller these days. You cant buy a smartnet contract for gear that was not sold to your company through official channels (I have run into this dilema before doing contract work) and Cisco truly does a terrible job acknowledging the large second-hand market for their equipment while making life difficult for the technical people trying to support the environment who had no hand in the business decisions that lead to its procurement. Its a sucky position to be in, thankfully google translate works on the russian sites required to obtain said software.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

(it's not that hard if you have a half decent services provider -- CDW would not be one of them. We've all been there. Our own in-house integrator couldn't get things added; one phone call to the people that had been doing it before we took over the now-inhouse guys... 30min later I had the service activation email -- and this was back when Cisco openly refused to add 3rd party kit. That did eventually backfire as they were adding things Cisco couldn't support -- a cat2920? (fixed config 5002), they had to pull one from the RTP lab to replace it.)
peterisen
join:2013-12-15

peterisen

The issue is, in fact, as nosx stated. I purchased the router from a vendor whom I am unable to purchase a smartnet contract through. I'd happily pay for the contract if I could obtain it.

nosx - are you suggesting somewhere that I might be able to find the IOS I need?
peterisen

peterisen to cramer

to cramer
cramer - who do you recommend I attempt to purchase a contract from givne my situation?
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba

MVM

Cisco authorized reseller companies like meta See Profile work for should be a good start
aryoba

1 edit

aryoba to cramer

MVM

to cramer
said by cramer:

it's not that hard if you have a half decent services provider -- CDW would not be one of them. We've all been there.

I recalled one incident with CDW when the company I used to work for changed their public IP address from a "shared" one to dedicated one due to the fact that the company recently had their own Internet circuit. CDW declined to honor the company's purchase due to the fact that the IP address the order came from was not the same as previous. Further, CDW blacklisted the company's account based on this situation and the shipping address which was now using the company's address instead of the CEO's home address. Well then, we were more than happy to take our business elsewhere
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to peterisen

MVM

to peterisen
said by meta:

an asr1002 is 2k-5k on ebay or a grey market reseller these days.

Just tested that statement on ebay, and I found one or two ASR1002's for around that price. I was ALMOST tempted enough
to see if I couldn't put off a few mortgage / car / etc. payments to get one for under the christmas tree this year...
said by peterisen:

I'd happily pay for the contract if I could obtain it.

Check section 20.1 in the FAQ, specifically this one for other resellers to try.

Let us know how it goes OP.

Regards

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by HELLFIRE:

payments to get one for under the christmas tree this year...

Wouldn't you rather a 3745 fully (maximum-ly) loaded w/ a 2651 and 2x 2924M-XL's?

aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba to HELLFIRE

MVM

to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

said by meta:

an asr1002 is 2k-5k on ebay or a grey market reseller these days.

Just tested that statement on ebay, and I found one or two ASR1002's for around that price. I was ALMOST tempted enough
to see if I couldn't put off a few mortgage / car / etc. payments to get one for under the christmas tree this year...

I thought this was your motto

»Re: [H/W] Value
meta
join:2004-12-27

meta

Regarding CDW: I have personally tried to license Cisco ASA's that were 3rd party sold and CDW was more than happy to take my money, but CISCO denied the smartnet order claiming they were "owned" by another company even after producing photos of the equipment and serial numbers. Ultimately CDW had to issue me a refund because Cisco chose to reject supporting hardware that was not purchased through their channel.

Long story short, buying smartnet is sometimes NOT possible due to the vendor attempting to circumvent first sale doctrine.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

1 recommendation

cramer

Premium Member

And that's the issue with CDW. If it's not a "clean" device, they will be completely powerless to fix the issue. Good services vendors "know people" and know how to get this sort of thing cleared up. (maybe cisco have become much bigger d***s about this these days.)
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer to meta

Premium Member

to meta
My understanding is this is likely more of an issue with CDW. I've had several different issues with varying levels of success when acquiring smartnet contracts through CDW. My last attempt resulted in a refund - 11 months after the initial smartnet purchase. After getting past the apparently all-too-common "owned by another company" I had a valid contract assigned to the serial on my unit. Unfortunately CDW was never able to do the needful for me to associate the contract with by CCO ID, even after getting a very specific response from Cisco on exactly what was needed (simply fixing an address on the contract to match the address on both the unit & my CCO details). I had hardware coverage but no access to download restricted software such as IOS releases.

I have had issues with every smartnet contract I have obtained through CDW and I have finally wised up enough to take the advice of others in this forum. I am now working with a more proper Cisco certified partner that already seems far more capable than CDW ever was.

With all the stories I hear about problems with CDW combined with my own experience I wonder how they can still offer smartnet contracts at all.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

Yes. Yes it is. They'd have to have a dedicated Cisco Support Services group to handle all of the nuances for dancing with Cisco. They clearly don't care. They still sell support because some people have no problems (esp. if they ordered the stuff from CDW in the first place.) And some % of it is a Cisco requirement to be a reseller/partner.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

well I just ordered smartnet via cdw, I'll report how it goes
peterisen
join:2013-12-15

peterisen to Shady Bimmer

to Shady Bimmer
Shady Bimmer - what Cisco certified partner do you now use?