Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Re: Test your microphone and/or camera access

Click for full size
It is a silly test there DUDE..Cameras and Mikes are always off by "default" and a user would have to even turn them on only a site by site basis and the user would know that and have done it..so what is the value of this "test" ?
Expand your moderator at work

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Name Game

Re: Test your microphone and/or camera access

said by Name Game:

It is a silly test there DUDE..Cameras and Mikes are always off by "default" and a user would have to even turn them on only a site by site basis and the user would know that and have done it..so what is the value of this "test" ?

VERY NOT TRUE: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbins_v.···District

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 recommendation

said by owlyn:

said by Name Game:

Wrong..my post is very true because this silly test is just applicable to flash access..and what you posted has to do with apple mac books owned by a school system..loaned out to students..and the firm contracted to monitor theft of same..having the ability to turn on the cameras to find lost or stolen laptop...so if one of those users tried this test..and passed..it would give them a false sense of security.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

said by Name Game:

said by owlyn:

said by Name Game:

Wrong..my post is very true because this silly test is just applicable to flash access..and what you posted has to do with apple mac books owned by a school system..loaned out to students..and the firm contracted to monitor theft of same..having the ability to turn on the cameras to find lost or stolen laptop...so if one of those users tried this test..and passed..it would give them a false sense of security.

I think we're on the same side here. The test is just about useless. The point is, cameras and mics may not always be off. One may believe they are, as they are supposed to be off by default, but you never know if something has grabbed it, as in the Lower Merion situation.

I keep them both turned off in my laptop's BIOS. Of course, that is still not a 100% assurance, but it's better than nothing. The bigger problem is smartphones. The user does not even have low-level access to disable the cameras and mic.