share rss forum feed

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 recommendation

Plants won't grow near Wi-Fi routers, experiment finds

(NaturalNews) It's not difficult to understand the appeal of Wi-Fi. This revolutionary technology, which has been commercially available since 1999, eliminates cabling and wiring for computers, reduces cellular usage charges and allows us to connect to the Internet from anywhere with a signal. Despite these benefits, however, studies continue to show that the radiation generated by wireless routers is negatively affecting our health. In fact, the British activist website Stop Smart Meters recently published a list of 34 scientific studies demonstrating the adverse biological effects of Wi-Fi exposure, including studies linking it to headaches, reduced sperm count and oxidative stress.

The latest research into the dangers of Wi-Fi, though, comes from a surprisingly humble source: Five ninth grade female students from Denmark, whose science experiment revealed that wireless radiation is equally as devastating to plants.

»www.naturalnews.com/043238_Wi-Fi···th.html#
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

2 recommendations

»rationalwiki.org/wiki/NaturalNews

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to Name Game

Their source is a 9th grade science class experiment. Not exactly Nature, that.

Also what exactly does this have to do with security?
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

DownTheShore
Russia Lies, Ukraine Dies
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

I did a science fair project when I was in grade school about the effect of phosphates in detergent on plants. The results were quite clear, even at that unsophisticated level. Don't discount 9th graders.

I always wonder what I'm cooking within myself as I sit here with my laptop propped up on my knee, wirelessly connected to my router.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

2 edits
reply to sivran

said by sivran:

Their source is a 9th grade science class experiment. Not exactly Nature, that.

Also what exactly does this have to do with security?

Did you read the whole thing..or just start asking questions ?

Those wifi routers might sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Undeniable results

The experiment began when the five students realized that they had difficulty concentrating in school if they slept near their mobile phones the previous night. Intrigued by this phenomenon, the students endeavored to study the effects of cellphone radiation on humans. Unfortunately, their school prevented them from pursuing this experiment due to a lack of resources, so the students decided to test the effects of Wi-Fi radiation (comparable in strength to cellphone radiation) on a plant instead.

The girls placed six trays of Lepidium sativum seeds (a garden cress grown commercially throughout Europe) in a room without radiation, and an equal amount in a room next to two Wi-Fi routers. Over a 12-day period, they observed, measured, weighed and photographed the results. Even before the 12th day arrived, however, the end results were obvious: The cress seeds placed near the routers either hadn't grown or were completely dead, while the seeds placed in the radiation-free room had blossomed into healthy plants.

The experiment earned the five students top honors in a regional science competition. Moreover, according to a teacher at their school, Kim Horsevad, a professor of neuroscience at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden was so impressed with the experiment that he is interested in repeating it in a controlled scientific environment.

You can help reduce your exposure to Wi-Fi radiation by following the advice in this article.

--
Gladiator Security Forum

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to dib22

Oh No..Help Mr. Bill, another conspiracy website
Can WiFi Signals Stunt Plant Growth?
»abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/···-growth/

»www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Andre_sprog/En···0946.htm

--
Gladiator Security Forum

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within

join:2005-01-20

3 recommendations

reply to Name Game

Multiple news sites that cite the same experiment doesn't increase the validity of the result. It however does suggest that it was a very slow news day.

dib22

Kansas City, MO

2 recommendations

reply to Name Game

Sorry, when I see natrualnews I automatically discount whatever is being said

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

2 recommendations

reply to dib22

said by dib22:

rationalwiki.org/wiki/NaturalNews

quote:
NaturalNews.com (formerly Newstarget) is an anti-science conspiracy website founded by Mike "the Health Ranger" Adams. The site promotes almost every sort of medical woo known to human history, though it specializes in vaccine denialism,[1] AIDS/HIV denial,[2] quack cancer medicine[3] and conspiracy theories about modern medicine.[4] Even other quacks think it's a quack site.[5] The site has recently broadened to include extreme environmentalism and conspiracy theorizing about Obama and gun control. If you cite NaturalNews on any matter whatsoever, you are almost certainly wrong.
PS - I have a plant growing near my wifi router. I may be growing better, because I turned up my signal?

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA
reply to Name Game

My initial reaction to a natural news story is disbelief. Nothing here that changes my mind...

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to Name Game

I skipped right to the source and read that instead.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Name Game

Don't mobile phones cook?
This is old news (no disrespect intended) and eggs have been cooked before.

So why wouldn't it affect or wilt a plant?
We are our own worst enemies at times.

--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by norwegian:

Don't mobile phones cook?
This is old news (no disrespect intended) and eggs have been cooked before.

Never seen an egg cooked by a phone... but there are some seriously heavy duty electromagnetic waves coming from a yellow dwarf near here that will cook an egg!

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

So if you grow cancer out of your ear you won't blame it either?

It is all documented paperwork.
Neither of us was there that day and anything else is third hand news.

On a more positive note, using the phone to play music to a plant can really help it's constitutions.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to Name Game

The study technically lacks a proper control test. To even be considered valid, the students would have had to do several more things apparently not done:
- provide assurance the cress seeds all came from the exact same lot of seed
- place multiple plates of cress seeds at varying distances from the router in the same room (similarly spaced, in multiple radial directions)
- place multiple plates of cress seeds in the other non-router room, also employing as a "control source" a small, operating electronic device (preferably a non-WiFi "router" that does not emit "WiFi radiation"
- reverse the siting of the router and "control" between the rooms and repeat all the tests exactly as before

Otherwise, the conclusions claimed do not necessarily arise from the router "WiFi", rather than something else in the rooms themselves, other aspects of a router device, etc.

edit: siting, not citing
--
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -- A. de Tocqueville

drjenkins

join:2005-03-30
Bealeton, VA

said by Blackbird:

Otherwise, the conclusions claimed do not necessarily arise from the router "WiFi", rather than something else in the rooms themselves

Without a proper double blind test the "something else in the room" that could skew the results includes the students themselves.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit

The kids might have bad gas.
»www.hindawi.com/journals/ijfr/2010/836278/

dq

join:2012-09-14

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game

Good. They will learn the necessity for proper experiment design when they get beaten up by their classmates, whose phones got confiscated.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Name Game

That, at l

said by Name Game:

The kids might have bad gas.
»www.hindawi.com/journals/ijfr/2010/836278/

That is certainly a more compelling experiment, and the overall results would seem to merit a deeper study, looking into the RF causes in greater detail. (The RF shielding in that test was questionably chosen - aluminum is by far not the best shielding material, which is usually copper or mu-metal in commercial screen cages; and the lack of apparent shield-material joint welding/soldering and grounding to an effective ground-rod left the shielding effectiveness open to all manner of aberrations/leaks/internal-re-radiation at certain resonant frequencies. But regardless, the plant deficiencies all were confined to the unshielded samples, irrespective of the shield effectiveness on the shielded ones.)
--
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -- A. de Tocqueville

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

2 recommendations

Click for full size
I have noticed over the years my wifi router in close prox·im·i·ty has reset the clock and timer on my VCR..caused The Clapper to flash my security lights with the International Distress Code and now my Chia Pet Guard Dog is shedding

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChIA-PET

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to Thane_Bitter

said by Thane_Bitter:

Multiple news sites that cite the same experiment doesn't increase the validity of the result. It however does suggest that it was a very slow news day.

It also makes "consider the source" (naturalnews) counter-arguments against this particular experiment (such as it was) specious, don't you think? As in, "Sorry, when I see natrualnews I automatically discount whatever is being said".

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
Scottsdale, AZ
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game

Some interesting things sited in the article, especially in the link within giving ideas of how to be more secure. Having just added a wifi router/modem to our office, the whole article and inclusive link are rather disconcerting. It's all just one more thing that I will have to ignore. At my age, I don't think any of those horrendous things and fixes really play a part in my life. Now I know why my hair has been turning grayer though!
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

System
reply to Name Game

This topic has been closed. Reason: Unsuitable for forum