fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

[Appliances] Broke my washing machine

Click for full size
Click for full size
This washing machine is probably at least 20 years old. I figure it weighs about 300 pounds also. Was not fun putting it in my basement when I moved in. A family member gave it to me since they bought a new washer/dryer. I also have the matching dryer.

Figured I'd do a load of laundry now before going to bed. I went to turn the dial to the position I want it in and I felt something get loose and now the dial just spins and I can't put the arrow on the position I want it on anymore. I can still pull out the handle to start the cycle or push it in to stop it. I can't select the cycle I want though since the metal part just spins. I should be able to twist it and it makes a wind up type of noise.

Is this an easy fix or should I just get a new energy efficient washer if it's going to cost over $100+ to repair or if I have to call someone?

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3

[Appliances] Re: Broke my washing machine

Get the model number (probably under the lid or on the back of the unit) and price out a part called the "timer". You can probably repair this yourself and it will likely be worth it.. In my experience those older machines last much longer than anything new. When it comes to appliances, the rule of thumb is, the heavier the better.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
reply to fartness
You can take off the control panel, maybe something popped loose. Other than that, it would be the timer/switch itself and those are usually over $100 + labor. Check the price of the timer online.

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
reply to fartness

Re: [Appliances] Broke my washing machine

My bet is the handle is stripped. Pull it straight out, and see if you can turn the shaft it's connected to. Make sure it's pushed in before you turn it.

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to fartness
as was mentioned, it could be just a broken plastic knob. maybe less than $10

Bornloser

join:2002-09-04
Alliance, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to fartness
Pull the knob out. Look between the knob and the dial. You will see a white plastic clip. Pull off that clip and the knob will come off. You can inspect the knob. You should see teeth on it. It may be stripped. Could be all that is needed. If the dial is hard to turn, then the timer will need to be replaced or rebuilt, depending on the model, along with the knob. If it is the rebuild type, DON'T try doing it yourself. You'll have parts flying. Call somebody or replace the machine. It's too old!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to fartness
»fixitnow.com/

I found the site when my washer would no longer spin about 5 years ago. Saved me a couple hundred bucks by not having to call a repairman.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
reply to fartness
Check out this website, they have parts for just about any appliance:
»www.partselect.com/

Zupper
Premium
join:2002-12-28
Novelty, OH
reply to fartness
I've used this place for repair parts, and have been happy with them.
»www.repairclinic.com

Like others said, check the knob first. If the timer assembly needs replaced, check the prices on the parts sites given, then decide if it is worth it to you. Actual replacement shouldn't be a big deal. Probably just a few screws and wire connections to deal with.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to fartness
said by fartness:

or should I just get a new energy efficient washer

How much laundry do you do ? Unless it's run daily, I'll bet it's not worthwhile to get a new energy efficient model (I presume you mean front-loading).

F100

join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC
reply to fartness
Plus those front loading HE water saving washers are even more heavy than the traditional top loading. Because they spin so fast, weight is added to keep them in place during the spin cycle. My mother-in-law gave us her's when she moved. We had a top loader before. Luckily my boss owns a furniture dolly that he let me use. That was about the only way to get it to the second floor. With myself and a neighbor and the dolly, it was just about all we had to get it up the steps.

If you do move it, rent a furniture dolly if you can. They are worth it, especially with steps.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by F100:

If you do move it, rent a furniture dolly if you can. They are worth it, especially with steps.

furniture dolly is not the same as a appliance dolly

furniture dolly cost about 20$ and will hold about 1/2 ton

a appliance dolly which will cost about $70-90
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

Shady Bimmer
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Northport, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to F100
said by F100:

Plus those front loading HE water saving washers are even more heavy than the traditional top loading.

There are both top-loading and front-loading HE washers. Most modern washers (HE or not, front-loader or top-loader) spin at higher speeds than older units and require greater stability. Many modern units also try to balance loads by varying speeds and motions in order to achieve these higher speeds. Greater stability in the unit helps with this process.

I've seen both top-loaders and front-loaders that are bottom-weighted to provide this stability.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to fartness
+1 for Zupper's recommendation on repairclinic.com

BTW-Free advice if you decide to replace the washer than repair: DO NOT EVER BUY From Appliancesconnection dot com.

I won't go into details. Unless you msg me or email me.

Go to a local store, or big box like Lowes or HD.
--
Splat

F100

join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC
reply to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

said by F100:

furniture dolly is not the same as a appliance dolly

furniture dolly cost about 20$ and will hold about 1/2 ton

a appliance dolly which will cost about $70-90

Yes, an Appliance dolly is what I used. Like a two wheel dolly with a strap and rollers to help you pull it up stairs. We use the furniture dolly at work to move stuff around. Both are worth it if you do much moving of heavy items. I've even used a dolly made to move around 55 gal drums of Oil and Antifreeze.