uniqs

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

[Price] Existing Customer "9.95 Self Install Kit"

I was poking on the concast website and looking at "offers" for my account. I am currently on a 6 month Blast promotion @34.99/month. This promotion expires in April.

I logged in and they apparently are offering me the same promotion again; 34.99/6 months. When I put it in my shopping cart there is a $9.95 self install kit added. Why do they think I need a self install kit? And yes they know it is me as my account number and service address is showing in the "ship to" field.

I have not tried the "chat" feature as don't want to get stuck in an endless loop with a robot help system.

Can anyone explain what is going on with the self install kit?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

Re: [Price] Existing Customer "9.95 Self Install Kit"

What is probably going on is the same brain dead programming algorithm that insisted on shipping me a new STB when I tried to change my TV plan on-line. I already have a fully functional STB and I don't need/want another one, but the on-line ordering system insisted on shipping one. I tried the on-line chat alternative, and the chat CSR could not prevent the shipment of a new STB either. By calling 1-800-COMCAST I was able to get my plan changed without having to pay for a new STB (although the phone sales rep could not sign me up for the plan I wanted, and had to sign me to a higher price plan with a discount to make the monthly price the same).

Comcast is not alone in doing such things; I currently have two new VDV-23 ATA boxes sitting in their original shipping boxes because Vonage also has a similar "ship a new box" policy whether the customer needs it or not.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

So what would be in this "self install" kit? I own my modem and do NOT want to get into the BS is having to get that billing resolved again.

Also, can the upgrade/new plan be stacked on the end of my existing plan? Currently I have an end date of April 2014. Can this new 6 month plan be setup so it starts in April and ends in October?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by pende_tim:

So what would be in this "self install" kit? I own my modem and do NOT want to get into the BS is having to get that billing resolved again.

Also, can the upgrade/new plan be stacked on the end of my existing plan? Currently I have an end date of April 2014. Can this new 6 month plan be setup so it starts in April and ends in October?

Comcast's HSI self install kit used to consist of a two way splitter and a short RG6 patch cable (my assumption is that is still what they ship).

I suspect that if you signup on-line for the new promo plan, it will cancel your old promo and start the 6 month count down beginning on the signup date. Anything else will probably require that you directly contact Comcast and do a bit of horse trading (but if the new plan has a deadline for signup, I doubt that Comcast would start the 6 month countdown any later than that cut-off date).

Coelispex
join:2013-06-03
Howell, MI

Coelispex to pende_tim

to pende_tim
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by pende_tim:

So what would be in this "self install" kit?

I think these Self-install kit are pretty useless

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

totally useless; cause i can get an awesome gold splitter from walmart/home depot for $6.

Then I can reuse my push on vcr jumper to feed my modem.

ill just tuck all my wires under the carpet on the tack strip, i dont need those clips.

RUNDMC
@comcast.net

RUNDMC

Anon

Online promotional offers are for new customers only which is why it's trying to send you a self install kit. If you tried to complete the order it would tell you that you are not eligible for the offer.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to pende_tim

MVM

to pende_tim

Call and place your order over the phone. Tell them you don't want the self install kit. End of story.

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA

rolfp to pende_tim

Premium Member

to pende_tim

When I needed to change out a failed leased modem, I got multiple mistaken self-install kit charges. Trying to resolve via off-shore phone support only compounded the problem, added charges. Finally, a face-to-face with a representative in a local Comcast storefront got the problems resolved on the first try. YMMV.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to pende_tim

Premium Member

to pende_tim
I've seen the same kind of stuff for months.

What's going on:
- You have internet
- The offer is for customers adding internet
- It still lets you see/select the offer

So, because of the above, it thinks that you're adding internet to your account.

I asked Comcast if I could select the offer to extend my promotion, but they told me that I couldn't do that. They claimed that the system would cancel it out and return to full price. I don't know if it's just lies though so I wouldn't really know.

If you're willing to try, I would be interested to know what actually happens.
catnapped
join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA

1 edit

catnapped

Seems stupid the system wouldn't recognize whatever services you had and not offer them if you're not eligible.