pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Price] Existing Customer "9.95 Self Install Kit"

I was poking on the concast website and looking at "offers" for my account. I am currently on a 6 month Blast promotion @34.99/month. This promotion expires in April.

I logged in and they apparently are offering me the same promotion again; 34.99/6 months. When I put it in my shopping cart there is a $9.95 self install kit added. Why do they think I need a self install kit? And yes they know it is me as my account number and service address is showing in the "ship to" field.

I have not tried the "chat" feature as don't want to get stuck in an endless loop with a robot help system.

Can anyone explain what is going on with the self install kit?
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

Re: [Price] Existing Customer "9.95 Self Install Kit"

What is probably going on is the same brain dead programming algorithm that insisted on shipping me a new STB when I tried to change my TV plan on-line. I already have a fully functional STB and I don't need/want another one, but the on-line ordering system insisted on shipping one. I tried the on-line chat alternative, and the chat CSR could not prevent the shipment of a new STB either. By calling 1-800-COMCAST I was able to get my plan changed without having to pay for a new STB (although the phone sales rep could not sign me up for the plan I wanted, and had to sign me to a higher price plan with a discount to make the monthly price the same).

Comcast is not alone in doing such things; I currently have two new VDV-23 ATA boxes sitting in their original shipping boxes because Vonage also has a similar "ship a new box" policy whether the customer needs it or not.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
So what would be in this "self install" kit? I own my modem and do NOT want to get into the BS is having to get that billing resolved again.

Also, can the upgrade/new plan be stacked on the end of my existing plan? Currently I have an end date of April 2014. Can this new 6 month plan be setup so it starts in April and ends in October?
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by pende_tim:

So what would be in this "self install" kit? I own my modem and do NOT want to get into the BS is having to get that billing resolved again.

Also, can the upgrade/new plan be stacked on the end of my existing plan? Currently I have an end date of April 2014. Can this new 6 month plan be setup so it starts in April and ends in October?

Comcast's HSI self install kit used to consist of a two way splitter and a short RG6 patch cable (my assumption is that is still what they ship).

I suspect that if you signup on-line for the new promo plan, it will cancel your old promo and start the 6 month count down beginning on the signup date. Anything else will probably require that you directly contact Comcast and do a bit of horse trading (but if the new plan has a deadline for signup, I doubt that Comcast would start the 6 month countdown any later than that cut-off date).
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Coelispex

join:2013-06-03
Wilmette, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pende_tim
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by pende_tim:

So what would be in this "self install" kit?

I think these Self-install kit are pretty useless

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
totally useless; cause i can get an awesome gold splitter from walmart/home depot for $6.

Then I can reuse my push on vcr jumper to feed my modem.

ill just tuck all my wires under the carpet on the tack strip, i dont need those clips.
--
I'm better than you!

RUNDMC

@comcast.net
Online promotional offers are for new customers only which is why it's trying to send you a self install kit. If you tried to complete the order it would tell you that you are not eligible for the offer.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
reply to pende_tim

Call and place your order over the phone. Tell them you don't want the self install kit. End of story.

rolfp

join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pende_tim

When I needed to change out a failed leased modem, I got multiple mistaken self-install kit charges. Trying to resolve via off-shore phone support only compounded the problem, added charges. Finally, a face-to-face with a representative in a local Comcast storefront got the problems resolved on the first try. YMMV.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to pende_tim
I've seen the same kind of stuff for months.

What's going on:
- You have internet
- The offer is for customers adding internet
- It still lets you see/select the offer

So, because of the above, it thinks that you're adding internet to your account.

I asked Comcast if I could select the offer to extend my promotion, but they told me that I couldn't do that. They claimed that the system would cancel it out and return to full price. I don't know if it's just lies though so I wouldn't really know.

If you're willing to try, I would be interested to know what actually happens.

catnapped

join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA

1 edit
Seems stupid the system wouldn't recognize whatever services you had and not offer them if you're not eligible.