All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« [Parts Check] What do you think?Always build desktop »
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 28 · 29 · 30 · 31 · 32 · 33 · 34 ... 41 · 42 · 43 · next

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1
reply to MineCoast

Re: [Coin Mining] Need input on a Litecoin mining rig

mine were 200 each, they are a bit more now...

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
reply to Krisnatharok

Seriously considering getting one of these. At least they are real. Shipped their 1,000th unit.

»cointerra.com/product/terraminer···c-miner/

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06

said by Ian:

Seriously considering getting one of these. At least they are real. Shipped their 1,000th unit.

That will only mine ASIC coins, which are not very profitable. It will not mine Scrypt coins, such as litecoin, dogecoin, etc.

Ian
Premium
ON

said by MineCoast:

That will only mine ASIC coins, which are not very profitable. It will not mine Scrypt coins, such as litecoin, dogecoin, etc.

That would pull in $140 a day after power in BTC.

MineCoast
Premium

The only issue with BTC is the difficulty of the coin is rising so rapidly at the moment that it might be profitable today, but not 6 months from now. You'd also be stuck to only ASIC coins with that, so once all BTC coins are mined, or it isn't profitable, you'd be stuck with a paperweight. At least with Scrypt mining, you can switch coins as they are always releasing new coins and if the cryptocurrent market ever fails, you can sell the Scrypt hardware (GPU's) to recope some of your investment.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to MineCoast

said by MineCoast:

said by Ian:

You mean SHA256 coins. ASIC is the type of equipment used to mine (Application Specific Integrated Circuit).
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Ian

My rule of thumb, spend only what you can afford. If you have to get a loan to buy it, dont buy it. Only spend what you're willing to lose. It also seems that the ASIC won't ship out till june. Will you be okay with that amount of cash out of your bank?

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to Ian

said by Ian:

said by MineCoast:

That would pull in $140 a day after power in BTC.

That won't ship until June so don't count on getting it until July. That is 4 months from now. Current trends show the bitcoin difficulty goes up 20% every 11 days. You need to calculate the profitability based on the projected difficulty in 4 months. When I do that it comes out to around $10 per day after power costs.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
1-800-F1UCK-YO
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 recommendation

reply to MineCoast

said by MineCoast:

... if the cryptocurrent market ever fails, you can sell the Scrypt hardware (GPU's) to recope some of your investment.

I see this remark come up often, but in that scenario eBay and craigslist would be flooded with millions of GPU's as all miners try to sell their cards. The current "supply and demand" pricing would be seriously reversed. (But it would suddenly become pretty cheap to build a gaming rig!)

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by HarryH3:

(But it would suddenly become pretty cheap to build a gaming rig!)

Yup! 3x7950 CF rigs would become the most common gaming rig on the market!
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

primeomega

join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI
reply to Krisnatharok

lol, how fast stuff changes. Already the flagship 750 on newegg.com is up $10 and they took away free shipping.

I tell ya, people who build pc's for a living must hate mining, lol.

I would not be surprised if if that card hits $200

MineCoast
Premium
reply to HarryH3

said by HarryH3:

said by MineCoast:

... if the cryptocurrent market ever fails, you can sell the Scrypt hardware (GPU's) to recope some of your investment.

I see this remark come up often, but in that scenario eBay and craigslist would be flooded with millions of GPU's as all miners try to sell their cards. The current "supply and demand" pricing would be seriously reversed. (But it would suddenly become pretty cheap to build a gaming rig!)

Hell, even if the cards go down to only $50, if you had 60 cards, at least you'd be getting back $3000

mk4111

@start.ca
reply to drslash

There are multiple SHA coins that are much easier to mine than BTC

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Krisnatharok

Click for full size
GPU abuse

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Does anyone else successfully mine on a 290X? I've had one hell of a time trying to get a stable setting, and I have to reboot between mining and gaming, and sometimes I have to wipe my bat file and start over because previously stable settings no longer work.

Here's what I am getting on a reference Sapphire 290X with Hynix memory:

CGMiner Screenshot: After seven hours of mining

MSI Afterburner Monitoring (with voltage!)

Current batch file:

del *.bin
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://middlecoin.com:3333 -u 1GfotvVHwkcabZ7TtVCFe3GXWVHj5XPthh -p X -I 20 -g 1 -w 512 --thread-concurrency 32765 --gpu-engine=1000 --gpu-memclock=1500 --gpu-powertune 20 --auto-fan --temp-target 90 --temp-overheat 95 --temp-cutoff 99 --lookup-gap 2

The clock would throttle without adding a little powertune in there, but with 20 it just sits at core-clock 1000 mhz. I've tried 1020 and 1022 mhz coreclock, but it is unstable on the reference 290X air cooler, even though it gives me a 975 KH/s hashrate. Oh well, maybe something to try when I am watercooled.

Just wanted to throw this out there and see what other performance 290X owners are getting. Does anyone know how to undervolt the 290X?
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

I've heard the "max allocation" line sometimes doesn't work in batch files. You either have to run that line manually before mining or have to launch the batch file twice. Seems to be working here though, or so it indicates.

You say the clock speed doesn't fluctuate, are you expecting it to go above 1000 without manually setting it there? You're telling it to set at 1000 in the batch file and maybe it's because I just woke up but it seems confusing, that's why I ask. What hashrates were you expecting? The 290x is listed as anywhere between 720 and 1000, so 975 seems perfect.

Those are also with a clock speed in the 900s so maybe it just can't handle 1000 on air. Supposedly it will hold 1000 before hitting 95C, yours is holding pretty well at 87C (albeit with really high fan speeds, bet that is noisy). Admittedly most 290x's in that list are water cooled so cooling is almost certainly the issue here.

In the list, there's only one 290x that is listed as unlocked voltage control, most are unspecified or locked. The MSI software should let you adjust it if it's unlocked. I tried adjusting my 6870's voltage and the slider made me think it was working but it really didn't change anything.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by JoelC707:

You say the clock speed doesn't fluctuate, are you expecting it to go above 1000 without manually setting it there?

I found out that the GPU will throttle down to between 940-1000 mhz unless I use the gpu-powertune 20 setting (it's called "Power Limit %" in Afterburner), which is why I included it. But with the fan completely variable, the card doesn't even hit 90 C, so I am not worried about damage (just have to put up with the F22-during-takeoff noise level for now).

I definitely think the reference cooler is limiting me to a max stable core clock of 1000 mhz before, so I will see about increasing that and the voltage when I get it switched over to watercooling.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV

said by Krisnatharok:

I definitely think the reference cooler is limiting me to a max stable core clock of 1000 mhz before, so I will see about increasing that and the voltage when I get it switched over to watercooling.

On my GTX 780's, I wonder if water would even allow me any higher clock speeds at all? The cards max out at ~1,200mhz before crashing right now, but they don't get anywhere near hot at all. At 1200mhz they top out at ~70c.

So would water even do anything at all? That's what I'm wondering about your 290x too. If it's not so much heat issues, but voltage limitation more than anything.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Water allows you to increase your voltage without as big of an increase in temperatures, which lends itself to more OCs. At some point you'll hit a cap, but I think you can go further with better cooling.
--

Ian
Premium
ON
reply to Krisnatharok

Anyone know why BTC is up 20% today? Pretty large swing.

join:2014-02-13
reply to Krisnatharok

i need more information about this . please share with me more info and links about this

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
reply to Ian

said by Ian:

Please link to your source. I usually look here to see trends. These have stayed just under $600 for a while.

»bitcoincharts.com/markets/currency/USD.html

Ian
Premium
ON

»winkdex.com/#/

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA

There is some sort of disconnect. The exchanges listed on that link are some of the same ones from my link. My link does not show $660+ recently. It could be timing I suppose.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
reply to drslash

said by drslash:

said by Ian:

Please link to your source. I usually look here to see trends. These have stayed just under $600 for a while.

»bitcoincharts.com/markets/currency/USD.html

The page at my link is now reflecting the up trend, so yes, timing was the issue.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
reply to Ian

CNBC thoughts.

»www.cnbc.com/id/101461632

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL
reply to Krisnatharok

what are people getting out of a 270x?

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA

said by Cheese:

what are people getting out of a 270x?

»litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison
This shows 417-467Kh/s

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL

I am mining Max right now, and getting about 230Mhs

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

2 recommendations

reply to Krisnatharok

I'm able to get 975Kh/s out of my 290x. I'm having problems with black screens that I think is driver related. Once I get that ironed out, I'll get back into mining again. Not bad for a single card.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK