Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok

Re: [Coin Mining] Need input on a Litecoin mining rig

New GPU coming: »www.maximumpc.com/sapphi ··· cs_cards

It's the R9 280, estimated MSRP of $279. The AMD GPU list on Wikipedia has been updated with the cards specs:
Core clock: up to 933
Mem clock: 1250 (same as 290/290x)
Core Config: 1792:112:32
TDP: 250W

Seems a bit hot, the 280x is 250W as well though and the 290/290x aren't much higher. I think the 270 is still the best bang for the buck, but if you can snag one of these before prices skyrocket (assuming they don't set the initial price high to compensate) it is probably worth snagging.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Thank god the R9 280s are finally coming out. I bet you could get a wicked undervolt on that thing. It's slightly below the 2048 shaders in the 7970/280X with 1792, so I would expect the good underclock--no reason for it to consume 250w.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Yeah the 7950 has the same core config. The core clock is lower (850 vs 933) but the memory clock is the same. They only run 200ish so I'd suspect the 250 of the 280 is over-estimated, even factoring in the higher core clock.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

It also would be a mistake to assume the TDP of the Sapphire Vapor-X model is representative of reference AMD R9 290's.

I'm pulling 1220w at the wall on a gold-rated 1300w PSU, and two of the cards are Vapor-X 7970's. 92% of 1220w is 1122w. Subtracting 50w for the rest of the board, that leaves 1072w, or 268w per card. Assuming the regular Sapphire and Gigabyte only consume 250w apiece, that means each Vapor-X is consuming approximately 286w per card, or 12.6% more power over TDP of a reference 7970.
primeomega
join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI

1 edit

primeomega to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Click for full size
So stated playing with my 750 ti today. So far after working for about a hour with some issues getting it going, have it stable at about 325 khash.

Running the normal setup: -H 1, i 0, m 1 T5x24
GPU +52 / Mem Clock +645

It is running on a 16x16 powered riser right now. I know people can push it a little more, seen up in the 330 range. I like to always play it a little safe with my overclock, lol. Temp is sitting at 49c with fan at 60%. Sure I can lower that when I am all set, keep it high for testing.

Edit: When running all 3 cards (2x 670's and my 1 750 ti) I do loose about 10 khash per card. And my cpu is at around 80% load. (Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz)

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by primeomega:

Edit: When running all 3 cards (2x 670's and my 1 750 ti) I do loose about 10 khash per card. And my cpu is at around 80% load. (Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz)

See, that's what I was wondering about, and someone got all butthurt. Is this with CUDAminer?
primeomega
De Pere, WI

primeomega

Yea, running cuda 2/28/14. I wonder now if you would put 5 of them in a system, how that would work out. Not sure the normal dual core CPU I use for most mining rigs would work. Might think a 8 core would be better? But then you are working a lot more power for the CPU?
primeomega

to Krisnatharok
Update also: Find that the CPU usage dose move around a lot more. When I ran just the 2 670's, it would stay glued to 99% on precision, now it goes up and down on all 3 of them.

Also, not sure a card issue or board, but had to modify my PCI slot in the BIOS to force Gen2 over auto. Could not get new card (750) to work with it at auto. Kept giving a me a strange error 30 that no one really seems to know about.
primeomega

to Krisnatharok
Update again: Ok, so it looks like if you run the 750ti with -H 2 it will not use the cpu. Doing this increased my hash by 5. So at 330 now. But the 670's do go down.

Most be something diff on how the cards handle the work. This is a big +, could solve lots of issue. As a side note, the GPU now are sitting back at 99% solid. No jumping.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Click for full size
So in light of the 750 Ti into recently posted, I decided to do some research into the different cards, their specs, hash rate, TDP and price. I then came up with a KH/Watt figure and a KH/$ figure for each card. With the exception of my 5830s and 6870's I only included new cards (7870+ and R9 270+). I included the two older cards as they are what I currently have to use as a personal point of reference in terms of upgrade potential.

For the listed KH/s I took all available figures from the mining hardware list added the up and averaged them. It seemed like the best and fairest way to get a usable figure as they can vary widely. Some won't be exactly accurate to the listed stock clocks. For example, the 7950's and 7970's in the list. I can't easily differentiate between the boost/GHz edition so I tried my best based on listed core/mem clocks. Which brings up another point, many of these listed are overclocked and would skew the calculations if those overclocks cause it to consume more power.

For the 750 Ti, I used the 330 number listed here in the discussion and did not locate others and attempt an average. Anther point, the R9 270, there is exactly one listed in the mining hardware list so it too is not averaged. Prices listed are from Newegg, can possibly find them cheaper.

I did include the not-yet-released R9 280 in the list. I plugged in estimated KH/s values (675, just a hair above it's 7950 counterpart's average) and $349.99 for price (I don't expect it to stay at MSRP, if it even launches that low). The price is the same as current 7950's and is in between the current 270x and 280x prices so it seems like a good estimation.

As you can see, the 750 Ti basically leads by leaps and bounds in the KH/Watt calculation and runs neck and neck with the KH/$ calculation on the AMD cards. The only card that is better is the R9 270 and it's not off by much. Of course if prices drop on the AMD cards and/or prices rise on the Nvidia cards, the 750 Ti will lose the price advantage it has. Though it won't lose the KH/Watt advantage.

I shaded the cells on the R9 280 to indicate they are estimated values, the other shadings indicate optimal choices (basically the 750 Ti in both price and wattage and the R9 270 in price).

How do my calculations look?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I highly doubt the 280's TDP is going to be same as the 7970/280X (250w). You should be able to get a pretty good undervolt going with it. And I doubt scaling 750 Ti's is efficient as it's a relatively low KH/s per PCIe slot.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to primeomega

Premium Member

to primeomega
said by primeomega:

Ok, so it looks like if you run the 750ti with -H 2 it will not use the cpu.

said by primeomega:

Most be something diff on how the cards handle the work.

Yep, I found out what it is last night. Check this out: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ge ··· 0_Series. The Maxwell core has an integrated ARM CPU in it to help shoulder the load that would otherwise be required of the primary CPU. They also significantly increased the L2 cache which apparently let them cut down the memory bandwidth to save on power (and I'm sure cost and everything else too).

I think this could be a game changer and get Nvidia in the mining game honestly. If an otherwise low end part like the 750 Ti can bump up against a 7850/7870 or R7 part (all of which are mid to high end pats) they have a winner on their hands. Not to mention the massive power savings. The 750 Ti has a TDP of 60 watts. That's nearly low enough to run off the PCI slot with no additional power (it does have a 6-pin connector and I'm sure it helps stabilize the card but it could theoretically run without it).
JoelC707

JoelC707 to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

I highly doubt the 280's TDP is going to be same as the 7970/280X (250w). You should be able to get a pretty good undervolt going with it.

Yeah I had my doubts about that too. What do you think sounds like a more accurate number? 225 or 200? 7950's seem to be in that range with lower clocks. 225 puts it at a KH/watt of 3.00, 200 puts it at 3.38.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I'm guessing 225w, with 200w being realistic with an undervolt. I've heard of the 290 being pegged at 200w with an aggressive undervolt, but they are two different architectures, so it's an apples-oranges comparison.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Yeah the 7950/280 is still the same core (Tahiti Pro). The 7950 Boost is a Tahiti Pro2 (not sure what the Pro-H is). They run 200 and 225 respectively. I too think it's probably best to do 225 for the calculation. I'll update the spreadsheet and update that post to reflect more accurate estimations.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707
You can add R9 290X at 1020/1500 @ 975KH/s.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I think you have my killawatt still. Might as well throw it on your rig and tell us your consumption under mining load.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Did you leave it at my house? I have one as well.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I did... I think I gave it to Leech to test on your rig or Block's when we were initially troubleshooting your black screens.
primeomega
De Pere, WI

primeomega to JoelC707

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

said by primeomega:

Ok, so it looks like if you run the 750ti with -H 2 it will not use the cpu.

said by primeomega:

Most be something diff on how the cards handle the work.

Yep, I found out what it is last night. Check this out: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ge ··· 0_Series. The Maxwell core has an integrated ARM CPU in it to help shoulder the load that would otherwise be required of the primary CPU. They also significantly increased the L2 cache which apparently let them cut down the memory bandwidth to save on power (and I'm sure cost and everything else too).

I think this could be a game changer and get Nvidia in the mining game honestly. If an otherwise low end part like the 750 Ti can bump up against a 7850/7870 or R7 part (all of which are mid to high end pats) they have a winner on their hands. Not to mention the massive power savings. The 750 Ti has a TDP of 60 watts. That's nearly low enough to run off the PCI slot with no additional power (it does have a 6-pin connector and I'm sure it helps stabilize the card but it could theoretically run without it).

Very nice find. I did read that the reason for the 750 was to get into the mining. Not sure how much of that I believe, but I guess whatever they are doing, it's working. Going to be fun to see the mid and high end cards work out to be.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
OK so I've created a CoinMKT account and got that all going. I've even done my first trade there and now have a little over $60 USD that I'd like to withdrawal. Anyone have any idea how to do that? I see their "automatic" method is through OKpay, I've found their site and it looks like a payment processor site. Do I need to sign up with them too or is there some kind of account already tied to my CoinMKT account?

I have an account that is ~$40 under that I wanted to use these funds to bring back into the positive (long story, haven't gotten any pay this year yet and figured this was a good way to test the withdrawal and bring my bank account back positive). I see a wire transfer is an option but it has a minimum fee of $30, that's not good for me. I can get a money order with a minimum fee of $10 which could work but I'd rather do some kind of ACH style transfer if possible.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I've never withdrawn actual money. I use CoinMKT to convert LTC to BTC, and then withdraw the BTC, and convert it into Amazon gift credit or pay with it directly.
primeomega
De Pere, WI

primeomega to JoelC707

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

OK so I've created a CoinMKT account and got that all going. I've even done my first trade there and now have a little over $60 USD that I'd like to withdrawal. Anyone have any idea how to do that? I see their "automatic" method is through OKpay, I've found their site and it looks like a payment processor site. Do I need to sign up with them too or is there some kind of account already tied to my CoinMKT account?

I have an account that is ~$40 under that I wanted to use these funds to bring back into the positive (long story, haven't gotten any pay this year yet and figured this was a good way to test the withdrawal and bring my bank account back positive). I see a wire transfer is an option but it has a minimum fee of $30, that's not good for me. I can get a money order with a minimum fee of $10 which could work but I'd rather do some kind of ACH style transfer if possible.

Last time I check, OKpay does not work for the US. They pulled that support a long time ago. As did most places. Only place that I know that works is Coinbase. What I use, no issues at all. And they are in the US. You can by and sell right from the account. Deposit right into your bank account in a few days.

Reg link here: coinbase.com/?r=52bcbd521a779fe421000080&utm_campaign=user-referral&src=referral-link
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Hmmm, looks like I'll need to "buy" either btc or ltc and transfer it out then. Any special issues or setup with coinbase on withdrawal to a bank account?
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

The only caveat I have for coinbase is that the USD price you get for selling bitcoin or the price you pay for buying bitcoin is the price they set. They are going to give you a price that they can still make money from. It's not really a market price. The upside is that they will probably execute the buy/sell transaction immediately followed by whatever withdrawal process you choose.

I will be trying out CampBX. Their website says they have withdrawals to bank accounts. The price for the buy or sell is based on market orders. When a buy order is placed and a matching sell order is made then the transaction is executed. The downside is waiting for orders to be matched. I assume CampBX takes a fee for the transaction but they are not assuming the risk of holding bitcoin like coinbase does. CampBX also charges a flat fee for a withdrawal to a bank. I will post my feedback regarding CampBX when I set up an account and place a buy or sell order.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Yeah, CoinMKT worked a lot like Cryptsy or CampBX in that you post an order at either market price or a set price and it fulfills over time or immediately if there is a sufficient existing order out there. Or you can choose to fulfill one of those existing orders and it'll complete immediately.

Wonder which the best option is?
primeomega
De Pere, WI

to Krisnatharok
Ya, anyplace you go to sell is going to have to be ltc/btc. When I sold mine with coinbase, I think it went it almost right away. Maybe I was lucky.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

said by primeomega:

Ya, anyplace you go to sell is going to have to be ltc/btc. When I sold mine with coinbase, I think it went it almost right away. Maybe I was lucky.

The coinbase transcations will go immediately because you are buying/selling at the price set by coinbase. At coinbase you are not matched with a buy order if you are selling or you are not matched with a sell order if you are buying. At coinbase, their buy and sell price are not the same. The difference between their buy and sell price is the premium. This allows coinbase to then make money on the bitcoin or the dollars involved in the transaction. I'm not saying it is good or bad to buy or sell with coinbase. I'm just saying how they do transactions. If getting better prices on buys or sells is more important than speed of the transaction then a place like CampBX might be a better choice. If faster transaction executes is more important than price then Coinbase might be the better choice.
drslash

drslash (banned) to JoelC707

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

Yeah, CoinMKT worked a lot like Cryptsy or CampBX in that you post an order at either market price or a set price and it fulfills over time or immediately if there is a sufficient existing order out there. Or you can choose to fulfill one of those existing orders and it'll complete immediately.

Wonder which the best option is?

Given the inherent risk in bitcoin/virtual currency, for me the better option is secure, reliable, and trustworthy transactions. Secondly for me is the best price and thirdly is speed of the transaction.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

I've never withdrawn actual money. I use CoinMKT to convert LTC to BTC, and then withdraw the BTC, and convert it into Amazon gift credit or pay with it directly.

Although I convert to cash through an exchange right now, because cash is better for me at the moment, it much cheaper to just pay with BTC outright if you can.

What's the exchange fee to get Amazon gift credit if you don't mind my asking?