PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron

Re: [Coin Mining] Need input on a Litecoin mining rig

Gyft.com uses the Bitpay Best Bitcoin Bid: »bitpay.com/bitcoin-excha ··· ge-rates

And gives you 1% back in terms of Gyft points.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
Where do you do your exchanging and can they pay out to USD (I ask cause I see you are in Canada and that can make a difference).

As for the gift card thing, I see he responded as I'm typing this so... yeah that LOL

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
I tried them before, but I had issues getting Canadian retailer cards, which is too bad, because it appears to be cheaper than converting to cash.
El Quintron

El Quintron to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707
In Canada, the most common exchange (and the one I use) is called Cavirtex, they're fast (money comes in 24-48 hours) but somewhat expensive at 1.5% to convert BTC to cash, and another $6 for a deposit.

There's another Canadian exchange called QuadrigaCX, but their fees are nearly identical, so it isn't worth switching for me.

EQ

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

I tried them before, but I had issues getting Canadian retailer cards, which is too bad, because it appears to be cheaper than converting to cash.

I only use Gyft for Amazon gift cards. No idea how Amazon-friendly they are.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
What's the word on a 780Ti for mining?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Probably 430-500 KH/s. The 430 KH/s estimate is from November so I would expect it has gone up a little since then.

»litecoin.info/Mining_har ··· n#NVIDIA

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

High price for low hash....

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

That's why you don't really want to mine on Nvidia cards. The new architecture (Maxwell) looks to be different, but the current ones not so hot.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Hmm...curious if this has actually panned out well. Last I looked at rig setups and payouts, it seemed the only "guaranteed" method to net a positive cash flow was to get a couple USB miners...and take a laptop to McDs and mooch off their WiFi and power. XD

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

That's bitcoin ASIC mining, not Scrypt mining on GPUs.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

Huh...I thought rigs moved on to using different cards now - that GPU mining been obsolete since it was never optimized for the task. Maybe I'm wrong though. Still, given the power draw and declining payouts, it seemed to break (kind of) even with juice demands. Probably why I joke that one needs to mooch power to see a definite profit.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Thaler:

Huh...I thought rigs moved on to using different cards now - that GPU mining been obsolete since it was never optimized for the task. Maybe I'm wrong though. Still, given the power draw and declining payouts, it seemed to break (kind of) even with juice demands. Probably why I joke that one needs to mooch power to see a definite profit.

Here's the thing--Bitcoin is based on the SHA256 algorithm--I don't know much about crypto except that it isn't memory intensive and it's easy to stack hardware on PCB and create a very powerful (exponentially, compared to traditional GPUs) mining chip that processing the SHA256 code.

Enter Scrypt coins, which is memory intensive and the lack of vast amounts of DDR5 on ASICs means that GPUs are the most efficient mining hardware out there--specifically AMD Radeon/GCN/Hawaii GPUs (although Nvidia's next gen architecture, Maxwell, holds promise). Hence why people are snapping up 7970s and R9 280X's/7970's and putting 4-5 in a rig.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Got another 270 on the way, so I will have 6 total, 1 270x and 5 270s
Cheese

Cheese

Premium Member

We should get an IRC channel going or something, so we can all talk in realtime, not this post shit

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Hmm...well, might this be worth a hobbying larf (maybe break even) or does one need to sink some mad cash to get that going? Last I looked into this, I was looking at some big figures to even begin dabbling in things.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I've purchased three 290X's with the proceeds from mining with four 7970s. It was an easy to do because I already had two cards for my gaming rig, so I bought two more and stuck them in a dedicated rig.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Looking at Newegg, an introductory 4x 7970 card pack ~$2k, so yeah, a bit of investment capital.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Well, you can pick them up for about $350 a pop on Ebay, but yeah, the whole rig costs about $1.6k-$2k when you factor in power supply, etc.

The 7970 was replaced by the 280X so you won't find it at a reasonable price at the merchants.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

Huh. Are 280X cheaper, or do the job, or is 7970 pretty much the workhorse?
Thaler

Thaler to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
And apologies if I'm asking simple questions. I know that always irks some communities (like 'nix) when people ask them, but my last glance in this field made it seem like an enormous investment, dubious returns.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Thaler

Premium Member

to Thaler
A 280X is a rebranded 7970. What I meant is that supply of new 7970s has dried up so you won't find them for what they are worth. It's like saying a 9800 GT costs $500 new.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to Thaler

Premium Member

to Thaler
Personally, I do think you're going to need some of the more powerful cards to make this worth the effort.

My 6870 is still down (can't find my tube of thermal paste to put it back together) but my pair of 5830s are chugging along. The downside is they are only pulling about 240-250 KH/s each. That's not a lot of hashing power for a lot of electricity being used.

Those two cards are adding probably every bit of 500W constantly to my power usage. At my current winter rate of ~$0.105/kWh that's about $1.26 per day added to my power bill or an average of $37.8 a month. That's all fine when I was bringing in about $100 a month in coin but now I'm not.

I went from bringing in about 3600 DOGE a day to maybe 1000 a day. I suspect most of that cut was from the block reward halving not too long ago because even when I lost the 6870 (which was hashing about the same rate) I only went down to maybe 3000 a day, so this is a significant cut.

I switched back to middlecoin on 3/4 and so far have received one payout on the 10th of 0.0114 BTC. I currently have a balance of 0.0566 and an estimated unexchanged balance of 0.0590 so I could have another 0.01 BTC payout in a day or two. I'd guess I'll get about 8-10 payouts a month of 0.01 BTC. That's a max of 0.1 BTC estimated. At say $640 per BTC, I'm making $64 a month now for almost $40 worth of electricity. It's not worth it for me to really continue honestly.

BUT, consider that I put this together with NO purchases of anything, using only parts I already had, I'd say I did pretty well. I could have done better if I had more powerful cards to start off with, or if I had stuffed all of them into a dedicated machine that I could have run full tilt and gotten ~300 KH/s per card (900 total vs my approximate max of 750 or so).

Now then, if I were to buy something right now, I'd strongly lean towards the 750 Ti. It's cheap ($160-180), extremely low wattage (60 watt TDP) and produces ~330 KH/s. Your 4x 7970 (or R9 280x) example will produce about 2 MH/s across all four cards. They would also consume 1000W or more just in themselves. To get the comparable speed using 750 Ti's means getting six of them. They'd cost $960 - 1080 and only use 450W (estimating high at 75W per card). Much better choice IMO.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
I bought three reference ASUS 290 from NCIX but they shipped me DCII cards instead.

So now I have three water blocks that won't fit. It's not even the same SKU.

So anyone want to buy brand new unused waterblocks for reference 290s?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by TigerLord:

So anyone want to buy brand new unused waterblocks for reference 290s?

Are they the same as waterblocks for reference 290X's?
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

I think so. Just based on some precursory searches, the 290 and 290x appear to use the same waterblock design. You'd probably need to know the actual make/model of waterblock he has but I'd say there's a good chance it would work.
JoelC707

JoelC707 to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
On the 750 Ti, is it worth it to get one with a good cooler and maybe some factory OC or is the stock cooler good given they don't put off a lot of heat anyway?

Supply and Demand seems to be kicking in with these cards already. Many of them are out of stock at Amazon and the ones that do have it are generally priced higher.

»pcpartpicker.com/parts/v ··· &sort=a7
The cheapest appears to be a PNY or Zotac model for $149.99 from Amazon (with Prime shipping ability, though both are out of stock currently).
Cheapest you can buy one currently is $159.99 (with or without a rebate) for mainly an MSI or PNY model.
The most expensive is the EVGA FTW edition with their ACX cooler for $179.99 (newegg only, in stock now but wasn't a couple of days ago IIRC).

The ACX cooler supposedly runs fast by default, something like 42% minimum fan speed? I'm sure with mining that isn't an issue as it would likely spin up that fast anyway but still. what about unlocked voltage control on any of them? Given their already low power requirements (lower is always better) would it be worth it to undervolt?

Warranty appears to be the same on all of them, 3 years tops. Too bad none of them do the lifetime warranty anymore.
JoelC707

JoelC707 to primeomega

Premium Member

to primeomega
said by primeomega:

So stated playing with my 750 ti today. So far after working for about a hour with some issues getting it going, have it stable at about 325 khash.

What make/model is your 750 Ti? Also you mentioned having it OC'd, how far did you push it?

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Yes, reference 290 and 290x have the same PCB so use the same blocks

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by TigerLord:

Yes, reference 290 and 290x have the same PCB so use the same blocks

Assuming they are compatible with the reference Sapphire 290X, I might be interested in two. What type did you get? Do you have a backplate for each?