Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

1 edit

[Coin Mining] Need input on a Litecoin mining rig

So I am dabbling in LTC mining, given that it is easier to mine LTCs over BTCs as no ASICs are out for them yet, and there's a possibility that they will shoot up in value if they catch on (a geek's version of penny stocks).

I currently have re-tasked my gaming rig (two 7970s) to mine while I game/browse on my laptop, but am thinking of taking this to the next level by setting up a dedicated LTC miner on my network and placing it in the coldest room of the house (BIL's bedroom).

Does anyone else do any mining? I am thinking of any affordable CPU/mobo combo that won't bottleneck 2-3 PCIe cards.

I haven't decided if I should look at something with an iGPU so running a monitor won't detract from the mining operation, or if I should just run it remotely.

If it turns out the box could perform additional functions without impacting LTC mining, I may end up turning it into a dedicated home server.

Thinking of starting with something like this (I already own the GPUs/mem and I'll be running Ubuntu from flash):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($67.24 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V PRO ATX FM2 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($152.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $345.22
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-16 09:53 EST-0500)
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

Re: [Parts Check] Need input on a Litecoin mining rig

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't litecoin use memory hard problems? (IE benefit directly from more ram) where as Bitcoin uses compute based problems (CPU limited thus the asics came along)

if I'm right there might not be asics for LTC and you'd mostly want more ram than anything.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
All the guides I've read have said to have as much system memory as your GPUs have in video memory. I am not sure if that is cumulative or highest common denominator, but I've got lots of DDR3 lying around--I have 16GB of Corsair 1866 sitting on my desk that would drive an APU nicely..
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
If what I've heard is right then I'd toss all the ram at it you can.
--
semper idem

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
I am hashing at 565 Kh/s on both cards (1.13 Mh/s total) and my total system memory usage is at 13% (of 16GB), with cgminer only using 30 MB....
--

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
How do you even install PCIe x16 cards into x1 slots? Is this for ASICs?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
There's some riser cabling to do it

since you don't need full 16x bandwidth for GPU computing (at least in some setups) people have made some ribbion cables to let you do it. (Not good for gaming though)
--
semper idem

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to Krisnatharok
I did some number crunching between the three recent AMD GPU architectures (VLIW5, VLIW4, GCN) to see which one is the most efficient for Litecoin. Using the 5870, 6970, and 7970 results from the Litecoin wiki with all of them normalized to 1 GHz, VLIW4 (6950/6970, Trinity/Richland) came out on top, followed by GCN and VLIW5. Having said that, they were all within 12% of each other.

APU hashing throughput seems to be significantly slower than the numbers I came up with from the above cards, I'm assuming lack of memory bandwidth is the cause - about a third of the hashing throughput per ALU with the 7660D vs the 6970.

If you really want to use the integrated GPU to mine, you might want to wait for Kaveri to come out in about a month. It's rated for higher memory speeds out-of-the-box, not to mention a much beefier GPU when comparing Richland and Kaveri A10s.

Personally, I'd focus on mining on the discrete GPUs. I'm not sure how much CPU usage there is per mining GPU, but it seems to be low - the fastest 7970 listed on the Litecoin wiki was paired with an Athlon 64 3500+. Something like an Athlon X4 740 may be an option.

As long as you're not frequently using the GUI on the mining PC, there should be no mining performance loss while using it for lighter server duties. Obviously, doing something like video transcoding is much more likely to impact it versus file server/FTP/torrent usage. If you're savvy enough with Linux, you can interface with it entirely over SSH.

Small disclaimer with the above: I haven't tried litecoin mining myself. I did Bitcoin for a few hours a couple of years ago. I stopped running it due to it making my 6970 extremely hot and loud - it made an R9 290 seem quiet in comparison. It turned out some nice hash rates though .
--
KI6RIT

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
I wasn't really thinking about mining with the APU, just using it as my CPU of choice to build the mining rig.

This Gigabyte board has six PCIe slots, so I could put as many cards as I could afford and power on it via powered riser cables.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
In theory with a dual 2011 you could have 96 cards going
(but the logistics of that would be nuts)
--
semper idem

Helios
Premium
join:2013-11-04
Smithers, BC
reply to Krisnatharok
If you have a look at the coin profitability charts, you'll see that you will gain more BTC by mining altcoins vs LTC. The difficulty rating on LTC makes it hard for anyone to make money unless they have over 10 290x's hashing away in their basement. I'm currently in a pool making over 1700 GDC in 8 hours time, with a hashing capability of 1.8 MH/s (4 x 270X and 1 x GTX 770). GDC took a big dump in the past few days, but 'bubbles' always form. This causes constant variances of highs and lows to appear.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
On a related note is there anything useful I can do with my 3x 5GH/s units?

IE any mining they can do that's profitable?
--
semper idem

Helios
Premium
join:2013-11-04
Smithers, BC
Join a pool like 'Give Me Coins' and put your hashing power to work. You'll probably get a nice chunk of a return.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

On a related note is there anything useful I can do with my 3x 5GH/s units?

IE any mining they can do that's profitable?

What units do you have exactly?
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Helios
said by Helios:

If you have a look at the coin profitability charts, you'll see that you will gain more BTC by mining altcoins vs LTC. The difficulty rating on LTC makes it hard for anyone to make money unless they have over 10 290x's hashing away in their basement. I'm currently in a pool making over 1700 GDC in 8 hours time, with a hashing capability of 1.8 MH/s (4 x 270X and 1 x GTX 770). GDC took a big dump in the past few days, but 'bubbles' always form. This causes constant variances of highs and lows to appear.

This is exactly why I am using middlecoin.

I am not quite at your level, I am getting 1.13 Mh/s with my two cards, and once I build my APU, I could put up to six cards on it.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Krisnatharok
They're sitting at the post office atm.

But 3x BFL 5GH/s units
paid in june and well I realize I might not make a profit but they're at the post office waiting on a sig (they wouldn't just drop them off)

Seems they don't even list the 5GH/s unit anymore
--
semper idem

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
They are BTC ASICs and not scrypt-miners, right?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Yes BFL asic's
and ya I realize they aren't going to be profitable now (or maybe theres a way)
so hay if you wanta buy them let me know, assuming the post office accepts someone else's sig I'll have them at home tonight (otherwise it'll be the weekend)

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

should start mining dogecoins instead

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
said by Mike:

should start mining dogecoins instead

Ok mike I'll get the pike ax you just come over here.
--
semper idem

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Mike
I don't think they can, dogecoins are scrypt mined--no ASICs yet exist to mine scrypt coins due to the enormous memory constraints (which was baked into Litecoins). His best bet is to just mine BTCs...
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

Yes BFL asic's
and ya I realize they aren't going to be profitable now (or maybe theres a way)
so hay if you wanta buy them let me know, assuming the post office accepts someone else's sig I'll have them at home tonight (otherwise it'll be the weekend)

That sucks. According to this:

»www.bitcoinx.com/profit/

Your daily profit is 0.0083 BTC (~$6.63) less power costs ($0.32).

I made $24 yesterday (less $1.68 for power) doing middlecoin (auto-switches to most profitable altcoin) on my 1.13 Mh/s rig. The great thing about middlecoin is that it waits until the altcoin matures, then auto-trades it to Bitcoin and pays you out entirely in bitcoins.

If I were to mine just Litecoins, I expect I'd make about $6 a day.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
When I ordered I though maybe they'd worked out their back log issues.

but um, well.
now for what to connect them to.
I have a DL380G4 that I could use for it though I'm planning to move all that its currently doing to my ESXi host

I could look into using my DL360G5 but not so sure about passing the USB connection through the host to a VM.

I don't want to use my main computer because I want something that'll be on 24/7

I could see about using my CUbox, but I kinda still hope to use that for a sata target/iscsi initiator.

well my BTC wallet is on my DL380G4 atm so...
guess I should get on with migrating its services to the VM's
--
semper idem

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
I'm pretty sure you can connect them to any PC with internet access, as all the hashing is done via the ASICs, leaving the PC free to do whatever you want.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

1 edit
Ya its just a matter of which one

though I think the DL360G5 is likely not an option as its running ESXi and I'd have to see about passing USB from host to guest.

and currently the 380 is a DC for my home domain (which I'm meaning to migrate off of and to a new home domain, just being lazy)
--
semper idem

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
I wonder if the PS4 could mine, and how high its hashrate would be, with DDR5 system ram...

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
My understanding of so called "Memory Hard" problems is its more about the amount

»itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.c···racking/

though in my experience things that need lots of memory work better with faster memory.
--
semper idem

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
System ram is slower than vram, so the amount of system ram won't matter.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Well that can vary
try competing with say 32 channel ram (yes it exists)(look up a DL980G7 but ya its outa this ball park)

if you really want to go for it you'll want to try for a TESLA K40 (12GB vram based on the same GPU as a GTX780)

Though system ram can get to 256GB (if you have the money) it'll be hard to get near that in vram
--
semper idem