uniqs
share rss forum feed

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Win 8.1: Finding new ways to annoy users (Switch between apps)

I'm thinking there may be a contest there at MS about who can come up with the most annoying feature.

Win 8 was bad enough, but this in itself is almost worse than anything 8 had to offer, especially after learning the Win8 UI.

This is a pure, industrial strength evil -- it pops up, blocks my screen, and the only ways I know to get rid of it is by either restarting the machine, or moving to the other side if the PC is equipped with touch. Arrggghhhh....

There is no "x" to close it, there is no checkbox to "Never ever show this stupid thing again" ....

Just WTF they were thinking -- I don't need no fricken help, but if they do, at least provide an easy way to get rid of it.
--
.sig

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

Wow. I use Win 8.1 a lot on my (touch) desktop and have never once seen that.

Clicking on it doesn't get rid of it? Or "swiping" to the right with the mouse?

Is this an OEM computer?

Wild!
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by darcilicious:

Wow. I use Win 8.1 a lot on my (touch) desktop and have never once seen that.

Consider yourself very lucky!
--
.sig

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
reply to aurgathor

Never seen that on my non-touch Win 8.1.

Is there some sort of tutorial function that is still turned on?

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to aurgathor

i have never seen this either on my non touch 8.1

Expand your moderator at work

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to aurgathor

Re: Win 8.1: Finding new ways to annoy users (Switch between apps)

I've seen it before,......

After updating my new Surface RT to the 8.1 update it showed up one time and that was it. I didn't think of it as annoying although I had no need of it. I forget how I dismissed it or if it went away itself. It wasn't that big of a deal IMO.

I updated two Windows 8 Pro systems (Core i7 3930K desktop and a Core i5 tablet PC) and never came across it.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to aurgathor

Saw it once too, and then it just seemed to go away as I never saw it again and don't think I did anything to make it go away. So I suspect its a first time sort of thing only, are you seeing it every time you start your system?

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to Anon

Yeah And the Only time it shows up is right after the 8.1 update is done!

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to aurgathor

Yeah,....

What system was this on,....?

A Surface Pro,.....?

OvrQualified
Slightly Ahead Of Time
Premium
join:2002-01-27
Winter Park, FL
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 recommendations

reply to aurgathor

I've had this twice. Once on a VMware workstation 10 VM, and once on a MacBook Pro Retina running in Boot Camp. On both machines I had to turn it off using these tips: »www.eightforums.com/tutorials/31···1-a.html
--
The enemy of my enemy is my WHAT?!

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

This is a pure, industrial strength evil -- it pops up, blocks my screen, and the only ways I know to get rid of it is by either restarting the machine, or moving to the other side if the PC is equipped with touch.

Have you just followed its instructions?

By default, Windows will show the user help tips until the user has successfully completed the scenarios to open the UI.

--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

Life is just better when Jeter is in the lineup.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to aurgathor

It's the "help" everyone demanded and berated microsoft for not including with Windows 8.0

You could click and drag in from the left. That would do it.

Or, just set the registry key...

I Found that same setting (to get rid of this impossible thing) with 1 simple google search:

»www.google.com/search?client=ubu···oe=utf-8

Very first link.

Just Google It.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by JohnInSJ:

You could click and drag in from the left. That would do it.

That's what I would have figured (and what I asked in my previous post)...
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

I'm thinking there may be a contest there at MS about who can come up with the most annoying feature.

Win 8 was bad enough, but this in itself is almost worse than anything 8 had to offer, especially after learning the Win8 UI.

This is a pure, industrial strength evil -- it pops up, blocks my screen, and the only ways I know to get rid of it is by either restarting the machine, or moving to the other side if the PC is equipped with touch. Arrggghhhh....

There is no "x" to close it, there is no checkbox to "Never ever show this stupid thing again" ....

Just WTF they were thinking -- I don't need no fricken help, but if they do, at least provide an easy way to get rid of it.

shows on every start up
--
Live Free or Die Hard...
Expand your moderator at work

dib22

Kansas City, MO
reply to aurgathor

Re: Win 8.1: Finding new ways to annoy users (Switch between apps)

Broken record, never seen this on my desktop 8.1 (clean install).

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to aurgathor

I don't remember what I was doing, but I did see it one time on my clean install of Windows 8.1. I do remember that it was shortly after I did the install, and I was in the process of setting things up. I know that I do a lot of modifications to both the local administrator account, and to my own local account. Which account I was in at the time, I don't remember.

Since that one time, I've never seen it again.

When I rebuilt my system, I'll make a note to look for this, as well as what I did to make it go away.

--Brian

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Anonymous_

said by Anonymous_:

shows on every start up

Should show once per user, the first time you do any swipe in action (from any side) - after that the registry entry suppressing it gets set.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by JohnInSJ:

after that the registry entry suppressing it gets set.

Wonder if he has some registry guard program running?

Aurgathor what av/am you running?

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
reply to aurgathor

I've had that on two non-touch enabled Windows 8 machines after upgrading to 8.1 One machine was an upgrade from 8.0 and the other was a clean install.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
reply to dib22

no touch sreen

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to aurgathor

The family and I are over at my Wife’s brother’s house in Florida over the holiday.

Someone in the family fell for the "tech support call in scam" where they get you to turn over control of your system asserting that they will help fix or protect your system (from some nonexistent problem) all the while loading up key loggers, viruses, Trojans, rootkits,..... you name it,...

This was on a new Dell Core i3 laptop with windows 8.1 and they didn't even know there was a problem.

I assured them that the safest way to go forward from this point was to nuke the install from orbit and do a system restore (and even that wasn't a guarantee) which is what I did for them. After the restore it was running Windows 8. I had to run 81 updates before the 8.1 update showed up in the Microsoft store and so on and so forth,...

Anyway, when Windows 8.1 was finally installed it briefly showed this onscreen tutorial. I'm not sure but I think it might have been trying to interpret what I was doing in order to offer up contextual help since it came up more then once in this case (in the past it either didn't show up at all or would only pop up once). If you follow the onscreen instruction (like moving the pointer to the corner of the screen) it goes away instantly.

Not that big of a deal IMO but for Microsoft its damned if you do and damned if you don't.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

Sometimes the swipe doesn't work, or it is not possible to do at all, and simulating it with a mouse is a kinda hit and miss. All they would've needed just an 'x' to close it with a mouse.
--
.sig

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

In this case it was on a non-touch capable laptop and actions that were not possible were not requested or necessary to dismiss the help pop up.

I've seen this help pop-up a few times now on a few different systems and I've never found it bothersome or difficult to deal with. I think one time I even engorged it totally.

If touch specific options are offered up in this unsolicited help pop-up on non-touch supported systems I’ll remind people that sometimes Windows 8 / 8.1 is fooled into thinking it has touch support or quasi touchscreen support depending on its pointing device drivers. For example, some touchpads with gesture support and touch supporting mice (Microsoft Touch Mouse or Logitech M600 / T620) will or may do this.

Then again it could just be a bug on some systems but I've yet to see it.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

It's not a bug, it's a "buggy feature" (because it's intentional, but poorly implemented), and it's much more likely with certain systems and configurations.

Some people may never see it, but I may see it several times a day in a situations where it's difficult to get rid of it.
--
.sig

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

I hear what you are saying.

Still,....

Like the picture you posted, if for example, you are prompted to swipe in from the edge to switch to the last app but have no touch screen with which to use such a gesture one should still be able to execute the equivalent action to dismiss the prompt with the mouse / keyboard (assuming one has a mind to at the given time or an understanding of the appropriate action).

Still from what I have seen its infrequent (typically once after install or never).

Like I said before, Microsoft is damned if they do and damned if the don't,.......

TurtleFan

join:2003-05-03
Wyckoff, NJ

2 edits
reply to aurgathor

I took a chance on it in the office...considering some of my co workers just upgraded from XP, to 8 and don't seem to mind it...

I still miss my start button...I HATE that new panel thing

I also don't like the no easy exit from picture viewing feature. ugh. who designed this thing?

I also thinnk that Windows 8 got it's alert sound from Bewitched...I think Samantha is going to pop in any time now