uniqs
share rss forum feed

jjlisa1
Premium
join:2013-12-16

[Line Problem] DSL dropping, suspect line problem on provider side

Click for full size
Hello all.

Very poor DSL with sporadic drops. Watching netflix or Amazon video is impossible. My father has had problems for years getting a good, solid connection. He's got a new modem and everything seems to check out internally.

I've been running smoke tests, monitoring, and line quality tests. The latency is pretty bad and I'm showing complete packet loss several times during the day and it looks like on the provider side (AT&T DSL). I doubt I'll be able to explain this to Level 1 / Level 2. Anyone have any ideas how to get direct access to a manager or (duty manager) or someone that deals with line quality issues?

Please find below statistics from the modem, line tests, etc:
»/pingtest/7363···/3119672
»/pingtest/4a65···/3119428
»/pingtest/5656···/3119426
»/smokeping?tar···1fff70e5

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
Have you tried the ATT Direct forum here?
»AT&T Direct
--

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
reply to jjlisa1
The adsl link stats you posted actually are good. it looks like you have a 6mbps signal. Is he trying to push HD via netflix and amazon?

That could explain a bit why he's dropping.

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
I'm going with david on this, DSL is not the best for trying HD, it typically takes cable speeds to maintain HD and not buffer or have the connection drop. just imo

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Not correct, I do it all the time on a 3Mbps DSL line at my place in Ohio. If you cannot stream in HD on that, then it's most likely an issue with a congested DSLAM ran from T1's.

Anything over 2Mbps and HD should do just fine.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
said by brad152:

Not correct, I do it all the time on a 3Mbps DSL line at my place in Ohio. If you cannot stream in HD on that, then it's most likely an issue with a congested DSLAM ran from T1's.

Anything over 2Mbps and HD should do just fine.

I can never get an HD to work under 4mbps to 6mbps minimum. If you are accomplishing it with 2-3mbps I would like to know how you are accomplishing that. Might let Hulu, Netflix and Vudu know as well.

Vudu HD for me starts at 4mbps, and it doesn't do any less.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
I do it on Netflix and YouTube all the time, and even stream my Dish Network Slingbox in HD from my place in AZ to the lake house in Ohio.

The lake house in Ohio is on CenturyLink (it's an old Sprint landline), and is provisioned at 3/512k, my parents place is on the same plan and they stream as well.

I will sometimes have an issue if someone is trying to do a download at the same time, but usually it's fine and for $20/mo price-for-life I do not plan on upping the speed there anytime soon as it only gets used maybe 5-6 months a year.

katylied

join:2003-10-15
Hot Springs National Park, AR
reply to jjlisa1
I can stream HD fine on 6mb/sec ATT DSL when its working right.
And I don't want to discourage you, but I believe I have just ended a horrible 6 month line quality problem I've had with ATT.
In May I lost dialtone completely and DSL essentially stopped working also.
96 hours without dialtone until ATT restored dialtone and usable DSL.
I wasn't really happy with DSL stats and performance after that but didn't want to hassle with ATT so I self limited what I tried to do on DSL.
First week of December, lost dialtone again. ATT restored it in 24 hours.
Still not happy with DSL stats and performance but ignored it for same reasons above.
Third week of December lost dialtone again.
24 hours later I got an ATT lineman I sort of knew and he was the first who was driving a bucket truck and had a JDSU meter that helped him identify exactly where in the line there was a problem.
It took him nearly 2 hours of constant effort, but, I hope, he found a section of my thin little 55 year old telephone wire pair that was causing the problem.
He cut out about 8 inches and showed it to me.
In my little town, DSL and Uverse both run over those 55 year old copper pair telephone wires.
I had the "luxury" of being able to complain, eventually very loudly, about loss of DIALTONE.
I'd hate to have had to deal with ATT complaining of only marginal DSL perfomance.
There is no moral here. Just my recent experience. It was awful annoying.
8/10ths of the ATT linemen I dealt with were fine, but limited by 3000 feet of 55 year old infrastructure and a lack of a bucket truck, although they did use their ladders.
ONE of those ATT techs was absolutely golden with patience, proper equipment and, I suspect, but don't know, getting paid double time, since he did the work on a Sunday afternoon.
Good Luck, You'll Need It.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to jjlisa1
if the stats he is posting is correct and with my little cheat sheet he is only at most 4,066ft from the office. at that distance he could be straight shot right from the C.O. /Remote.

At 4000ft there is a lot of signaling issues it can be. 25/2 lines for uverse stop at 3100ft for comparison.

tel601

join:2005-08-11
Picayune, MS
reply to jjlisa1
single pair vdsl uverse stops at 3000 ft 26ga. bonded pair goes out to 5500ft 26 ga eqiv. wire length. IPDSL is about 17kft

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
reply to jjlisa1
Still at 4,000ft with a elite ADSL ckt there won't be a whole lot of cable problems to check.

My dsl at the house is 2600ft further than his, and I have no problems with elite dsl or HD streaming.

Dolfan

join:2010-12-03
reply to jjlisa1
No problem with 12/1 adsl2, 6.5kft, buried 22g 30 year old copper, snr's 14/12 no errors.