uniqs

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion to Cho Baka

to Cho Baka

Re: Need generator recommendation

said by Cho Baka:

If it has been down for 9 days in sub zero temps, you likely have bigger problems.

A fully discharged battery can freeze.

Do not charge a frozen battery, it is dangerous. Both fully discharging and freezing a battery are bad for them.

Seconded.

I'm Floridian, and haven't seen snow accumulate on the ground in all my life, but it seems to me that your panels are steep enough that snow wouldn't accumulate on them. Long term overcast could have run it out of power, but the solar should have recovered it when the sun came back, unless something is broken. I think you'll find the batteries frozen and split open, or something else in need of repair. Examine the batteries closely before attempting to charge. Good luck, it looks like a well setup station.
themagicone
join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN

themagicone

It was an undertaking. I had to re-engineer everything to get it mounted. All they shipped me was a power box, some cable and 2 solar panels. Built it in a shop, took it apart, boated it across the river, hoisted it up by hand and then spent 3 days bolting it in place. At first I didn't have the front braces but even slight wind was causing vibrations. Those braces secured everything into place.

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

pike to Raphion

Premium Member

to Raphion
said by Raphion:

I'm Floridian, and haven't seen snow accumulate on the ground in all my life, but it seems to me that your panels are steep enough that snow wouldn't accumulate on them.

I lived on the coast of Lake Erie for most of my life. Trust me, it's not uncommon at all for snow to accumulate on perfectly vertical surfaces. Highway signs and traffic signals completely obscured by heavy snow are a regular sight.

Ever seen one of these? »www.easyreachinc.com/hom ··· 98a3.jpg

Agreed the batteries are roached, were they lead acid? Maybe some under voltage protection should be considered.