uniqs
share rss forum feed

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to themagicone

Re: Need generator recommendation

You can almost bet the batteries are toast.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by chamberc:

You can almost bet the batteries are toast.

Freezing the batteries doesn't necessarily destroy them. When they freeze the case can crack which of course ruins them. If the case is not cracked and the battery thaws then it can be safely recharged.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

The pressure from the frozen electrolyte often damages the internals of the batteries - deforming plates, usually...

Once a battery has been discharged and frozen; it's no longer trustworthy... It may be ok; but that's far from certain; and in a remote a location as this sounds like, I'd change them on spec...

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA

The only way to know that is after it thaws to see if it will charge and if it appears charge up to then check it with a battery checker/analyzer. That will determine the condition.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

1 recommendation

A routine analyzer may or may not show physical damage - the definitive test would be a full load discharge; using a load bank.

In normal circumstances, I'd agree with you, thaw, recharge, and test; and evaluate the battery performance...

But given the need for boats, hoists, and other extenuating circumstances here; I stand by my "replace 'em" position...

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA

I agree. In the OP's case given the logistics he should just replace them. He should investigate a method to be sure the charge is not interrupted or it will just happen over and over.