uniqs
share rss forum feed

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

[Mobile] How long after tower completion is a tower lit up?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. If so, mods can you please move?

There is a new tower (monopine) going up very close by (AT&T, according to county records) and I'm wondering how much longer it might be until it's lit up, since my coverage at my kids' school is very marginal and this will be within 1-2 miles and should improve coverage immensely.

I think they finished the tower a few weeks to a month ago and about 2 weeks ago, the housing that the big bundle of cables buried from the tower to the housing was covered and looks "finished" now. I.e. no new construction and everything is cleaned up and tidy.

I'm wondering how much longer it might be until the tower is lit up? Ballpark is ok, just curious if it'll be weeks or months or even a year.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

BlueHeron

join:2013-11-14

kudos:1

1 edit

By lit up, I presume you mean turned on for service, not illuminated, which is required in many cases.

There is no way to know or even guess with the information you posted. Just because the tower is up doesn't mean the radios have been installed, nor the backhaul (link back to the network). While the tower structure may belong to AT&T, it is even possible, but unlikely, that they may not put it use within their own network for some time, although they could lease space on it to other carriers.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

ugh just found the county records, I was wrong. Verizon bought it. AT&T is apparently OK with their shitty coverage in this end of my town. I guess I might see if Verizon will let me back and keep my unlimited data in light of this....
--

BlueHeron

join:2013-11-14

kudos:1

said by pflog:

I was wrong. Verizon bought it.

That doesn't change my original answer, just the owner of the tower.

And AT&T may end up using it too. Tower sharing is common in the industry and is mandated in some areas. The best approach is to find out what coverage is actually available in any given location before switching plans.

One last point. Coverage issues are a two way street. Some phones have much better weak signal area performance than others. iPhones tend to be poor, compared to phones built by companies with strong radio design expertise, such as Motorola.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by BlueHeron:
That doesn't change my original answer, just the owner of the tower.
Yes, I realize that. But it means Verizon is active NOW and coverage is an order of magnitude better now, so I've done a 180 and gone back to VZW.

quote:
And AT&T may end up using it too. Tower sharing is common in the industry and is mandated in some areas. The best approach is to find out what coverage is actually available in any given location before switching plans.
They may, but who knows if or when that will happen. And I DID check coverage. I can't check every little spot in town without actually having a device, can I? If you look at AT&T's coverage map, you'd think this entire side of town was full bars of LTE, which is disingenuous to say the least.

quote:
One last point. Coverage issues are a two way street. Some phones have much better weak signal area performance than others. iPhones tend to be poor, compared to phones built by companies with strong radio design expertise, such as Motorola.
I'm aware, I used to own a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and the radio in that phone was horrific.

Oh well, at least I was able to return to VZW and keep my unlimited data. I'll have a friend check the signal levels around here periodically on AT&T and once they are also using that tower I'll look into switching again.
--

wmorgel

join:2013-12-22
Douglas, AZ
reply to pflog

In our case (between Bisbee and Douglas AZ), the tower is owned by a company that owns MANY towers and leases space on them. From the first day work was started until it was actually working was almost 1 year.

I called around until I found out who owned the tower, then called them, and asked about it. At that point it was up (including the flashing light on top . They told me they had to wait for the telephone line to be run and installed on the tower.

Hope this helps you.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..
reply to pflog

Verizon co-located on a tower near me. From the time they installed the LTE gear until it went live was 1 month. On the other hand Sprint installed LTE gear on the same tower 3 months ago - still no LTE signal.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/