pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Finally leaving VZW - sorry, you forced my hand

First of all, it wasn't a light decision. And I already miss the coverage VZW had and losing unlimited data sucks (though I imagine it's only a matter of time before they force people off of it). But I finally had to speak with my wallet and leave due to VZW's locked Android bootloader policy.

Yes, I know AT&T does it too, but AT&T is GSM which means I can buy a Nexus or Google Play Edition phone, which I've done (Nexus 5).

So long Verizon. I'll miss your superior coverage and (for me) great customer service. But I want to be able to tinker with my phone and not rely on hacks and exploits on bootloaders/etc to be able to do so.

I know I'm in the minority and VZW doesn't care, but I did mention the fact that the reason I was leaving was due to the locked bootloader policy.

Luckily, an AT&T tower is being lit up any day now within a mile as the crow flies, so the AT&T coverage at home and my kids' school should be excellent (better than VZW in fact, unless VZW piggy backs on the tower).
kingfisher
Premium Member
join:2007-07-17
Webster, NY

kingfisher

Premium Member

I respect the decision you have made and the reasons outlined for doing so. In my own case, I recently chose to unlock and root my two year old Samsung Galaxy Nexus ( tools for doing both readily available with a Google search ) and install a Cyanogenmod ROM of Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Still have the great Verizon coverage and grandfathered unlimited data ( for the moment ) with the most current OS, just on slightly less than state-of-the-art hardware. There are also the Developer Editions of several Motorola phones available which are Verizon compatible and still supported by Motorola after the bootloader is unlocked.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by kingfisher:

I respect the decision you have made and the reasons outlined for doing so. In my own case, I recently chose to unlock and root my two year old Samsung Galaxy Nexus ( tools for doing both readily available with a Google search ) and install a Cyanogenmod ROM of Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Still have the great Verizon coverage and grandfathered unlimited data ( for the moment ) with the most current OS, just on slightly less than state-of-the-art hardware. There are also the Developer Editions of several Motorola phones available which are Verizon compatible and still supported by Motorola after the bootloader is unlocked.

Yeah, I know I could have gone the moto route, but I was tired of the issues with AOSP-based ROMs on devices not intended to run AOSP and also dealing with the unknowns of "will I be able to get a good phone that can run CM/AOKP this year?" heh. Good to hear your toro is still going strong!
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to pflog

to pflog
so you are trading a unlimited data plan and superior coverage because of a locked bootloader on a Android phone? Your choice, does not make sense to me.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Of course it wouldn't make sense to everyone. AT&T coverage is comparable.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
I just got At&T and they are great.
buckweet1980
join:2011-12-31
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980

I lived in Pittsburgh recently and there I switched from VZW to ATT due to better coverage.. I couldn't make phone calls in my home without standing by a window, with ATT i could go to the dark crevices of the basement and be perfectly fine.

The funny thing is that I had FIOS at my home
att1899
join:2013-12-18
Folsom, CA

att1899 to pflog

to pflog
Excellent choice with the Nexus 5, I just received mine as an early Christmas gift! I noticed that you lived in El Dorado Hills which is just down the road from me. I've worked for ATT for several years now installing the Big cell phone towers and have been working in EDH for the past 6 months on two new towers. I'd expect these to go live any day now as they have already been finished. ATT is a little slow on bringing new towers up as they like to too see how much they can lease to other providers first. Shouldn't be too long before you see better coverage!

George

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Thanks, I wound up going back to VZW for now due to dropped calls and almost zero coverage at my kids' elementary school. I'm going to check back with some friends on AT&T in a couple of months and if coverage is better I'll be re-ordering the Nexus5 then. Just need the good coverage with a newborn!
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

So you switched off Verizon to ATT a few days ago and have already switched back to Verizon??
Lets Go
join:2005-03-05
Homer, NY

Lets Go to pflog

to pflog
Were you able to get your unlimited data back?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to kevnich24

MVM

to kevnich24
Yes I was having too many coverage issues with AT&T and the annoying vibration defect on the N5 along with that had my buyer's remorse way too high, so I went back.
pflog

pflog to Lets Go

MVM

to Lets Go
said by Lets Go:

Were you able to get your unlimited data back?

Yes, it had been about 10-11 days or so I guess? My wife's line was still active and had ~1 month left in contract and mine was out of contract. They had me call a special # and they ported my # back (the phrase they used was that it was "not fully ported to AT&T yet"). So yes, luckily got my grandfathered unlimited data back.
Lets Go
join:2005-03-05
Homer, NY

Lets Go

That's good. Once those unlimted plans get moved it can be almost impossible to get them back. Sounds like you were lucky. I have, to this point been able to keep my unlimited plan.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Yeah, I'm very thankful my little "experiment" didn't cost me my grandfathered unlimited data!
kevnich24
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

I've been eyeing switching over to ATT, mainly because of their latest out of contract price drop. Basically if you're no longer under contract, your cost drops by $15 per phone. Not alot but it's still something. Verizon's just getting too expensive for me and I don't like how much control they place over there phones. I like the open nature of ATT. I can get any GSM unlocked phone, put in an ATT sim card in it and voila. I have a prepaid att phone right now I'm testing coverage on. That's the only reason I'm still with verizon.
att1899
join:2013-12-18
Folsom, CA

att1899 to pflog

to pflog
When I was working in EDH, I didn't get blazing LTE speeds however I never dropped a call once and had coverage in every place I drove to. I'd much rather have superior phone choices with unrestricted rights than LTE at my home. That's what broadband is for. I came from a Galaxy s4 and was tired of my sd-card getting fried (losing pictures) and un-stable custom roms. On more than 3 occasions my S4 was rendered unusable due to rom/kernel crashes. I'm so happy with the N5 and ATT has been great. I can't comment on Verizon as I've never had them as a provider but being in the cell business I can assure you that every provider has dead zones. I can count on one hand how many times I've dropped a call with ATT in the greater Sacramento Area. Each time, a few minutes down the road I just reconnected.

I'm glad you got your grandfathered unlimited data back and are happy!

George

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Yeah, I am definitely going to keep an eye on AT&T's coverage. Once it's better, I'm probably going back. Although I did realize I disliked keeping an eye on my usage to avoid overages on data use I rarely use > 2GB, but it's nice to know it's there if I need it. That will take getting used to once I go back to AT&T for sure.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Can't you just put an activated sim card in a nexus 5 and get it to work on verizon?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Nope, no band 13 support. And although it technically supports the frequencies for band 4, VZW won't activate it.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to pflog

to pflog
as of this moment I cannot imagine going back to AT&T just because of Nexus 5 which I don't even like.

So far I am ok with Verizon.

Waiting for T-Mobile since I upgraded my phones 4 months ago. T-MO now has been progressing very nice.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Rumor has it that Tmobile will be paying peoples ETF
kevnich24
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

Tmobile is actually changing the field in the US for cell companies. I wish more companies would adopt it's practices. It's a definite win for it's customers. I just wish they had more coverage in rural areas - but that costs a lot of $$ to do. Verizon and ATT are all about their shareholders and don't seem to care about their customers anymore other than taking as much of their $$ as possible.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to patt2k

Premium Member

to patt2k
said by patt2k:

as of this moment I cannot imagine going back to AT&T just because of Nexus 5 which I don't even like.

So far I am ok with Verizon.

Waiting for T-Mobile since I upgraded my phones 4 months ago. T-MO now has been progressing very nice.

Would you do it (AND lost unlimited) for a phone you really liked though?

I can't imagine ever losing unlimited for a single phone.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

That's just it. It's not for a single phone. I did it for one phone (Nexus 5), but knowing I could bring an unlocked or GPE (Google Play Edition) phone to AT&T in the future meant it wasn't about ONE phone but ALL phones.

That said, I am quite happy with going back to VZW. I realized losing unlimited data was not worth it for me. But if VZW ever removes grandfathered unlimited data, that's really the only thing keeping my on VZW at this point. Their coverage is superior and is MUCH better in my home town than AT&T, but I expect AT&T will piggy back on the new tower eventually, and that will become a non-issue.

So at this point, I guess I will stay with VZW and continue to cherry pick dev-supported devices that will get AOSP ROMs until such time as VZW removes my unlimited data.