All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
TheHox
join:2012-05-31

TheHox

Help configure, NanoStation powering NanoBridge via second port

I have 2 customers where one customer can get service via his 50ft tower, his neighbor a few hundred feet can't get service.
They agreed to let cust2 use cust1 tower to repeat the signal.

I figured the easiest way was to use his existing nanostation, and just attach a nanobridge via the 2nd port on the nanostation so I didn't have to run a new wire.

The NanoBridge is connected to my AP and can ping the net, but anything behind it cant. What am I missing?
TheHox

TheHox

I disabled WDS on the nanobridge, now I can connect to the NanoStation

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to TheHox

Premium Member

to TheHox
One note about powering things with the 2nd port on nanostations!! It often sucks and breaks. Best to leave the power passthru box unchecked and literally reverse the ethernet cables (POE into the secondary, and nanobridge into primary)
TheHox

TheHox

Doing that will give me the same results as I have now then?

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

Yea. You lose the ability to remote power off the nanobridge but who cares

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich to TheHox

to TheHox
Why dont you just run separate poes/data connected to the linksys router or switch? Then you wont have this problem.
TheHox

TheHox

Because I didn't know I had a problem.

treich

treich to TheHox

to TheHox
Ya when you do something like this your going to run into problems.
TheHox

TheHox

Are you saying with the secondary port taking a shit? Or the problem in my original post?
I had WDS enabled which apparently I did not need that, so everything is working, for now at least.

Its cold as fk out right now, snow everywhere, climbing towers, going in and out someones house, when their wiring comes into their bedroom, is a pain. It works for now. In summer I will revisit this link and do it better. Rather than have everything inside, I will probably put a small enclosure outside and put my stuff out there.

treich

treich to TheHox

to TheHox
like it was said before when you use the second port some times it can flake out and you lose the option of remote reboot but if you want to cont with this option. Inssomniak just gave you an option via POE into secondary port then you have an cat 5 cable into first port going to nanobridge.
TheHox

TheHox

Ok I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

said by TheHox:

You might not make it to the summer running this way
Ive never had one last more than weeks or tops 1-2 months without the nano bridge blowing up/resetting/going dumb/needing TFTP, etc.

Just go to the site, log into the nano bridge, disable poe passthru and swap the cables. Ive run stuff for years like this without problems. Don't even have to go inside.
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin to TheHox

to TheHox
said by TheHox:

Not to say that the issues other people are warning about aren't a concern, but personally I've never had any chained devices fail. I'm not running a ton of them chained, but I do have probably around a dozen sites or so where it has been done because of an afterthought and not being convenient to run more cables. The key I've found is to either ensure your cable runs are fairly short if using the UBNT 15v POE's, or use something with a higher voltage like the Pacwireless 24v ones.
TheHox

TheHox

I used this POE here. »www.microcom.us/poe2412w.html, basicly the same POE used for Rockets.

I'll have to monitor it closely and see how it goes.