spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

newyorker

@rr.com

[General] Dish and Sprint - The future of Clear service?

Saw this story of Dish and Sprint working together to develop a fixed wireless service on the Clear frequencies. »newsroom.sprint.com/news-release···vice.htm

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

That will use td-lte and requires an install

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

1 edit
reply to newyorker

For a fixed use this may be interesting. They can maximize the signal and speed better with a fixed install. Plus more likely to not have tiny caps on this type of install due to the technology. Still probably capped but not as drastically as an all mobile solution.
Down the line who knows may have a mobile solution also. That would probably have caps and of course being mobile harder to maximize the signal far away from a tower. Plus i bet a higher cost than a fixed solution.
This is still in infancy but who knows what comes next.
Our new Japanese rulers are not done yet.

Tempus

join:2013-07-23
MA, USA
reply to norbert26

said by norbert26:

The article mentions both indoor and outdoor options. I can understand that an outdoor antenna would require an installation to be done, but why would an indoor one require an installation? If you're near enough to a tower to get a good signal from a small indoor antenna, such as the internal antenna of a Hub Express, then what is there for them to even install? It seems to me that the indoor one should be a plug-and-play self-install option, like we're used to on Clear. Do you have any information to the contrary?

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

1 edit

said by Tempus:

said by norbert26:

The article mentions both indoor and outdoor options. I can understand that an outdoor antenna would require an installation to be done, but why would an indoor one require an installation? If you're near enough to a tower to get a good signal from a small indoor antenna, such as the internal antenna of a Hub Express, then what is there for them to even install? It seems to me that the indoor one should be a plug-and-play self-install option, like we're used to on Clear. Do you have any information to the contrary?

as far as i could understand the article it talked about installs and outside antenna . I can't see why a hub express type setup wont work like i have now i should not need any install help. like you said if you are close enough to a tower a self install should do. the article just didn't seem to point this out.
Edit: i reread the article and it talks about both an outdoor antenna and and indoor install for those close to a tower. However if you read the next paragraph it goes into highlighting a tech to do an install in both cases. I don't need a tech for an indoor solution.

Tempus

join:2013-07-23
MA, USA

said by norbert26:

However if you read the next paragraph it goes into highlighting a tech to do an install in both cases.

I believe that the paragraph in question is just meant to indicate what DISH brings to the table, as it were, in this joint effort between DISH and Sprint. I presume that the reason DISH touts such a workforce is that they are primarily a satellite TV provider, and very few customers have a nearby satellite that will work well with an indoor antenna. (Methinks they would have to live in a very tall building, indeed.)

They would therefore be accustomed to sending a guy out for every single installation, as every installation would require an external antenna carefully aimed for best signal. But when you're dealing with nearby terrestrial towers, that changes the dynamic. I don't see any reason that they would waste manpower doing things the customer should be doing, but I've been wrong before.