how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rldleblanc

join:2014-01-22
Santaquin, UT
reply to Rakeesh

Re: [CATV] Can you pressure Cox to remove copy-once flagging?

The letter I'm talking about is not intended for cable companies or content providers, they don't care about us, only money. I hope to make congress aware that the goals of the FCC are not being meet because content providers and cable companies are pushing the bounds of the law and have the government reign them in. The more voices from people like you and me, the better chance they will listen.

mrdally204

join:2007-11-13
Youngstown, OH

1 edit

rldleblanc,
Can you:
A) please make public your letter so that I may reference it to also voice my opinion. You sound like you have researched this issue and make great arguments for it.
B) Please start a petition on "We the people" and post that link in here. Maybe we can get enough traction with social media and such to get the word to more people.

I for one am totally put off by this. I was in the middle of researching a home network pvr build only to find out I will NOT be able to do any of it as Time Warner cable locks all their channels to a copy once flag. The "rules" they placed on their programming have prevented me from making a hardware purchase to replace their limited and outdated hardware. This whole ordeal has made me second think cable as a service and looking now into OTA full home pvr.

Thank you for caring enough to voice your opinion and speak for the many of us being abused by corporate monopolies that are teh cable companies in the US.

rldleblanc

join:2014-01-22
Santaquin, UT

I have not drafted the letter yet. I was waiting to see if anyone had some additional insight to offer. I've been pretty busy with school and probably needed to step back from the situation so that the letter is not filled with emotions. I'll probably get around to it in the next week.

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2

rldleblanc

Your profile says you live in Santaquin, UT, aren't you served by Comcast or UTOPIA Fiber?

If so do they use Copy Once? Many Comcast markets are mostly copy freely.
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, ASUS RT-N66U
TiVo Roamio Pro, XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS & TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HD HomeRun PRIME

Termites

@cox.net
reply to gunterm

said by gunterm:

All the channels including non-premiums are flagged, basically anything that I could get back in my QAM days is open, everything else dead.

I feel like I wasted 100 bucks on my CableCARD HDHomeRun because the plan was to integrate this into my current system for watching QAM with my old plain HDHR. The copy-once ruins that for the extra channels, plus I cannot stream any of those to my Android using InstaTV either.

Does Cox respond to de-flag if you ask?

Disconnect it you pay the bill you dont like it shut it off.

tim85254

join:2010-07-15
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to ajwees41

said by ajwees41:

It's not Cox, but the content providers setting the flags. If you think it's Cox pressure the conent providers to pressure Cox.

The content providers are most certainly NOT setting the flags. If that were the case then BYU-TV would not be copy-once -- in *Phoenix* of all places LOL.

Termites

@cox.net

Go to the FCC site and file out a Official Complaint cox has 30-45 days to correct and contact you about this..

gunterm

join:2006-07-30
Topeka, KS
reply to gunterm

Just checked and all the Topeka channels are still DRMed, has anyone at Cox looked into this yet?

signcarver

join:2005-03-20
Phoenix, AZ

I really don't see this changing unless after the comcast/twc merger they change twc to copy freely and many devices come into the marketplace because of this. In general, Cox marks all but locals (clear qam) as copy once.

Termites

@cox.net
reply to gunterm

said by gunterm:

All the channels including non-premiums are flagged, basically anything that I could get back in my QAM days is open, everything else dead.

I feel like I wasted 100 bucks on my CableCARD HDHomeRun because the plan was to integrate this into my current system for watching QAM with my old plain HDHR. The copy-once ruins that for the extra channels, plus I cannot stream any of those to my Android using InstaTV either.

Does Cox respond to de-flag if you ask?

look out for googlefiber coming to your area get that,

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

said by Termites :

look out for googlefiber coming to your area get that,

Actually you have a point there. Look at the Google Fiber DVR. It's effectively an 8 tuner DVR with 2TB of storage, and you don't even have to pay for it, and they give you a free Nexus 7 to control it.

Getting it is simply a matter of subscribing to their TV service, which has a flat rate of $50 a month.

Cox's 6 tuner costs what...$50 a month after all expenses? And that is AFTER you spend a minimum of $60 on the Advanced TV service.