Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

What is the point of adding a forwarding rule and then enabling it?

I have a router with Gargoyle firmware on it and I was wondering, what is the point of adding a forwarding rule and then enabling it?

Please tell me what I am missing: If a person did not want the port forwarding rule enabled they wouldn't have made it in the first place.

Thank you

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

said by aefstoggaflm:

I have a router with Gargoyle firmware on it and I was wondering, what is the point of adding a forwarding rule and then enabling it?

Please tell me what I am missing: If a person did not want the port forwarding rule enabled they wouldn't have made it in the first place.

Thank you

So they can forward a port.

Ray
Mahnahmahna
Premium Member
join:2001-04-02

2 recommendations

Ray to aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

to aefstoggaflm
It's handy to be able to turn a rule off when you're not using it and turn it back on with a single click rather than have to remember the IPs/ports involved and recreate it when needed. For example, if I play some game once in a while that needs to act like a server, but prefer to leave those ports unforwarded when not using it.

Pete Post
@rr.com

Pete Post to aefstoggaflm

Anon

to aefstoggaflm
I am guessing you mean NOT enabling it? There would be no point.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

1 recommendation

HELLFIRE to aefstoggaflm

MVM

to aefstoggaflm
2nd Ray See Profile 's comments... I rather like this design than an "on or off"-only solution set to things.
Alot of enterprise level gear has this option in some form or fashion so that you can quickly switch
between configurations on the fly, if need be.

Regards

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

ropeguru to Ray

Premium Member

to Ray
This.... It is a lot easier to reenable a rule when you need it than having to enter it every time. Also less chance of fat fingering something and either have to go back and fix it or open up more than what you want.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

1 recommendation

Anav

Premium Member

The basic premise of object oriented designe. It s a bit of work up front, but powerful flexibility to make complicated changes rapidly down the line. One word, flexible response, okay two words.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

Kilroy to aefstoggaflm

MVM

to aefstoggaflm
As a parent I can give you a use. Kids misbehave, turn off the ports needed for their games. Then when the punishment period has ended turn it back on with one click.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
Bethlehem, PA

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

Reply to all: I am not sure if you are confused, just to be clear.

#1 User adds the rule

#2 Then the user must enable if (it is disabled by default).

#3 What is the point of the rule not enabled by default?

Thank you
aefstoggaflm

aefstoggaflm to Ray

Premium Member

to Ray
said by Ray:

It's handy to be able to turn a rule off when you're not using it and turn it back on with a single click rather than have to remember the IPs/ports involved and recreate it when needed. For example, if I play some game once in a while that needs to act like a server, but prefer to leave those ports unforwarded when not using it.

I agree with that, but that is not what is going on.
Spensergig
Past my Prime
MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL

Spensergig

MVM

I suspect (from bitter experience) that the purpose is to give the user a chance to review the created rule for typographic errors before enabling it.

I can tell you that it is a real pain to have to take down the router and reset to defaults to regain access to it.
That has happened more than once when "someone" fat-fingered a 0 for an O, or a 1 for a l, or ...

Simply good practice - just like the "confirm delete" messages you probably see (and hate) all the time.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by Spensergig:

I suspect (from bitter experience) that the purpose is to give the user a chance to review the created rule for typographic errors before enabling it.

I can tell you that it is a real pain to have to take down the router and reset to defaults to regain access to it.
That has happened more than once when "someone" fat-fingered a 0 for an O, or a 1 for a l, or ...

Simply good practice - just like the "confirm delete" messages you probably see (and hate) all the time.

#1 I point to and quote from

pcwintech.com -> Support Forums -> General & Misc Forum -> General & Misc. -> Answer found-What is the point of adding a forwarding rule and then enabling it?
quote:
Yes but we are talking about a port forwarding rule, no port forwarding rule could bring down a router and make a need for a reset if you mis typed something

»www.pcwintech.com/what-p ··· nutshell

#2 Nice, interesting post/reason but still does not make any sense both to Shane and I.
Andy S
join:2009-05-14
Stockbridge, GA

1 recommendation

Andy S to aefstoggaflm

to aefstoggaflm
Also it allows you to create rule sets that may go in to effect in the future when new equipment is added and you are just getting everything ready so that you don't have to create everything THAT day. All you would need to do is ENABLE those rules and you are done.
Spensergig
Past my Prime
MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL

Spensergig to aefstoggaflm

MVM

to aefstoggaflm
#1: I am not happy that you decided to post my comments on some other forum that I know nothing about. That was the absolute height of arrogant appropriation and misuse of the help I was trying to offer. Please do not EVER do that again. Further, please copy this comment to that thread, since I do not have posting privileges there.

#2: Many experienced programmers (and after 40+ years, I consider myself one) have learned that a consistent style leads to better outcomes. If there is a possible bad outcome from creating a (generic) rule, it is a good practice to encourage the operator to recheck his work before implementing it. Some rules may not be as critical, but the first time you screw up remote access to a router that is 5000 miles away, you'll learn that caution is a good thing. Rookies make mistakes because of ignorance. Experienced operators still make mistakes, but try to have a fail safe or fallback plan.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

3 edits

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by Spensergig:

#1: I am not happy that you decided to post my comments on some other forum that I know nothing about.

I only posted a link to the thread with the only detail of who posted the answer to the question. Shane took what you posted and posted it. I took Shane's reply and posted it over here.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

1 recommendation

AsherN to aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

to aefstoggaflm
said by aefstoggaflm:

Reply to all: I am not sure if you are confused, just to be clear.

#1 User adds the rule

#2 Then the user must enable if (it is disabled by default).

#3 What is the point of the rule not enabled by default?

Thank you

I do that all the time.

1) The target may not be ready yet.
2) The DNS entry may not be ready yet
3) It needs to be tested, but not go in production until later.
4) disabling a rule is the fastest way to shut down a service

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

1 recommendation

Anav to aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

to aefstoggaflm
All good responses. If one is afraid of mis appropriation don't post on a public forum.
I would only add that some routers ( a cisco one I used in the past) allow one to check all rules by a self processing algorithim which simulates traffic. Thus one could decide to invoke a port forwarding rule for testing purposes at an appropriate time vice immediate implementation. I have locked myself out of the router to many times to want anything to be automatic. Heck are we all Bill Gates trained to hit the (OKAY or ACCEPT) key.

I think the premise of your question is excellent as often we blindly follow processes and do not understand how the processes were derived, came to being the way they are. Many GUI or MMI interfaces have become defacto standards vice a trial and error basis because they have been proven to work, are statistically relevant etc... Notice how windows and Mac products have blurred together in their MMI approaches. Just think how we first used debit cards and all forgot that damn card at Canadian Tire because the little machine did not burp at us and allowed the cashier to open up the till if the card was still in the machine.........

--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

Reply to All -

Upon testing: The rule is enabled by default if using a stand alone browser (for example IE) but is disabled by default if using »www.simpleportforwarding.com/

Upon reflection the error has something to deal more with the program.