All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
xstingx
join:2002-07-16
Howell, NJ

xstingx

Which signal levels are better and cleaner?

Just trying to get the best and cleanest signal, while I realize my signal levels are already good, I was just trying to improve on them.. I have one cable line from the road directly into my crawlspace, into a 3 way antronix 5-1002MHz splitter. All the lines were installed new along with the splitter by the cablevision guy this year. With the 3 way splitter my downstream power signals were 2,2,3,3,3,3,4,4. I noticed the guy had plugged the cablemodem into the one -7dB on the splitter, I thought it was supposed to go into the -3.5. I'm no longer using 3rd cable leg so I figured getting a 2 way splitter would improve, if anything. I picked up the the same antronix splitter but in 2 way, and for fun, a $5 Monster 2 way splitter. the monster gave me downstream signals of 5,5,6,6,6,6,7,7, and the antronix gives me pretty much exactly the same. So really all I did was push my signal closer to the edge of the -8 to +8 that I read you want to be inside of. I'm a fan of if it ain't broke don't fix it but i've always known its best to clean up your cable splitters to match current usage needs. So I'd really like to use the best one of the three and be done with it for a long time. Which is best to use for my current situation?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Monster splitter is likely a waste of money and would provide little or no benefit over the free splitters provided by cablevision.

Ideally, you want to be as close to zero as possible; however, your current levels are within spec. Unless you're experiencing packet loss, there's no reason to change anything.

There's nothing special about the -3.5dB leg on a three way splitter other than it's -3.5 vs -7. Your installer likely saw that your signals were already a bit hot, so he put the modem on the -7dB leg to get it closer to zero. Nothing wrong with that. Similar to installing a pad on the line to attenuate a hot signal.

As an alternative, you could put the 3-way splitter back, connect the modem to the -7dB leg, and terminate the unused leg (don't forget this part). But like you said, if it's not broke, don't fix it.
xstingx
Howell, NJ

xstingx

Totally understand now. Will give that last suggestion a try and whichever is closer to 0 that's what ill use and be done with it. Thanks!

Anonguy
@cox.net

Anonguy

Anon

Don't forget the Transmit/Upstream power level.

It is just as important as the Downstream.
xstingx
Howell, NJ

xstingx

Upstream power level has stayed at 37/38 no matter what configuration. I switched back to the 3 way splitter and cablemodem on the -7, added a terminator on the unused 3.5
Signals are now 1,1,1,2,2,2,2,3. I guess the cablevision guy was right, however.. the reading ive done on how important these terminator caps can be I wonder why ive never seen or heard of them in any of the houses ive lived in. Oh well. I'm all set now