spc
Search similar:

uniqs

neodem
@comcast.net

neodem

Anon

Looking for an Integrated Amp or Preamp I can control externally

Hello. I'm doing a retrofit of an old furniture type stereo cabinet (the one with the speakers and turntable and amp built in). I want to completely replace the internals but keep the external controls (volume, tone, input selector). I have a nice power amp and speakers and a preamp for the new turntable I bought.

What I need is a preamp that will let me switch (externally) between the turntable and one or more other stereo inputs (tuner, ipod, cd player, etc). I've searched around with no luck so far. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

dandeman
MVM
join:2001-12-05
Chapel Hill, NC

4 edits

dandeman

MVM

I presume by externally switching, you mean remote control... If you could expose the IR sensor and hide the rest, this would do the job.. or perhaps if there is a large enough area covered by speaker grill cloth that is reasonably transparent, only the LED indicators would show through on the black faced unit and let the IR function work. It comes with an IR remote control... The installation of the front rack handles is optional so they don't have to be installed.

Probably far more than you want to spend as this is high end equipment, but sounds like the function you want...

»www.audioresearch.com/SP17.html

Got one in my system, great sound, really love it...

The 12volt trigger referenced in the spec is a 12 volt output that activates when the unit is turned on.. I use that to bring up my power amp using a beefy relay.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to neodem

Premium Member

to neodem
one option also is a device called an IR blaster that can reroute commands from the remote. so you use an off the shelf amp/tuner and IR blast it.

Just make sure this cabinet has good ventilation so any amp you do buy does not overheat.
neodem
join:2013-12-19

neodem to neodem

to neodem
Thank you. What I was referring to was that I wanted to use the original knobs and controls on the old stereo thing so I would need a way to link them to the new pre-amp/integrated amp hidden inside of the cabinet. IR would not be an option here..
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

It'll take some doing, but if you get an amplifier that mas mechanical controls, you could remove them from the amp and extend them with wires to bring them to the front panel of the console.

You'd be looking at older amps on eBay or similar probably, as most modern ones have done away with the analog control knobs especially for the input select and tone controls.

Unfortunately I don't think you'll find any amp that's remotely modern with a tone control. Most have had separate bass/treble controls for decades.