Search similar:

uniqs
sonnyb
join:2013-12-18
US

sonnyb

Earthlink checkout (no DSL speed)

Earthlink cart shows (no DSL speed) at checkout just the price

When I entered the phone# I got 2 dsl speed options to choose from, one was "up to 1.5mg" the other showed up to "3 mg", both had the same price, and when I added the 3mg to the cart, it displayed no speed at all?, how do you know what speed your purchasing? or is it a surprise nowadays? has anyone else experienced this?

anyone know what exactly "up to" means? that term could relate to any speed when you think about it, Stating what the minimum speed would be, is what counts. I find displaying no DSL speed in the cart a deal breaker, anyone else agree? why would Earthlink do something like that.

think about it, if you ordered up to "3 mg", and you wound up with "1 mg" or even 500 kbs, Earthlink would not be lying because they are only saying up too, right?.

man I swear, a basic customer, is not good enough anymore I guess they are looking for stupid ones only.

Sonny

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

EL has no way of knowing how far away from the CO that your telephone line is until they try to turn on the service. They can make a guess based on data from the telephone company, but the database is not very accurate. You would run into this exact same issue with any provider of DSL. Distance is the killer of DSL.

»DSL FAQ »Why is distance important with DSL?
sonnyb
US

sonnyb

then Earthlink should simply mention that somewhere, and put some speed in the cart, use a asterisk if needed or something, and I'd like to hear some reasoning on, what exactly does "up to" mean? how about using "no less then" instaed?

Now tell me if someone is so stupid as to check out and purchase DSL plan with no speed on the receipt, what would you give them 1.5 or 3?, no matter where they are located at? lets not forget Earthlink is after all Verizon service re branded anyway with a few tweaks and stand alone, but at double the price at 39.95 down here in NJ. the only thing, "repeat only thing" that would make it remotely economically feasible would be the 3mg combined with the no phone line required, or else who would want to pay twice the price for something? and they know that, I bet. I knew it sounded to fair to be true

If anyone has ordered Earthlink DSL "no speed given in cart" and received 3mg plan 14.95 first 3 months and 39.95 for last 8 months NY,NJ area please post here.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by sonnyb:

then Earthlink should simply mention that somewhere, and put some speed in the cart, use a asterisk if needed or something, and I'd like to hear some reasoning on, what exactly does "up to" mean?

You are asking the same question and the answer is the same. You will get "up to X" depending on how far you are from the CO.

Did you read the FAQ here?
sonnyb
US

sonnyb

please read the tread you do not understand the point, yes the further you are from the switching office the lower the speed, but that is not the question here, I am asking "up too" from what?

right now we are at 800kbs and dipping at times to as low as 550kbs for around 20 bucks, why would I want to pay 40.00 for that, we were also told a few years ago we are in a spot that can get up to 3mg with a upgrade of course. now you tell me I purchase a DSL plan with no speed mentioned whatsoever in the cart, anyone with half a brain knows, I'm not getting 3mgs, are you kidding me. most likely, they are just going to take our plan and double it for 8 months. its tough enough dealing with a provider even when you have things in writing must less with no speed even mentioned anywhere on a online receipt. maybe you buy things that way but not us.

think about this?, that's like shopping for a car, the salesman says 15 grand gets you up to a Maxima, but your surprised and shocked when you wind up with a accent. would you shop like that? of course not no one would, but somehow thats perfectly acceptable when purchasing a DSL plan, why is that?

the right way to treat customers is to clearly state this plan offers no less then 1.5 mg and if you can't get that you can walk its that simple. or at least have the option to move down into some lower priced plan, but you know what? that has no sleazy ring to it. and no 3 meg sounding hook. if the world was not based on plastic cards and bs this type of wording would never have snaked its way into the mainstream.

again "up too 3 megs" "but from what speed 0" that is the key and the product you are actually purchasing no matter what their "up too speed" says, high speed internet is just a term, and for any of you in the industry, try telling a CEO his salary can be anywhere between 0 and 10 mil, and see how he likes that.

example up too 1.5, or up too 3 meg, can legally pass under the same plan, but yet, can have different or same price based on whatever works out best for them at the moment, not you, that's the point of this tread, linking to a DSL 101 distance article is useless and missing my point. people better start waking up come 2014, we need to start rewarding companies that are straight up with us, and start walking away from the ones who are not, its the only way things will ever change.

Faq or distance link means nothing, if its not on your receipt or states a minium speed, it does not legally exist. example 4.94 up to one gallon of Milk, but you can't open the bag until you get home and surprise all you see is a pint in there with a note, that's all we had in stock, sorry

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by sonnyb:

right now we are at 800kbs and dipping at times to as low as 550kbs for around 20 bucks, why would I want to pay 40.00 for that, we were also told a few years ago we are in a spot that can get up to 3mg with a upgrade of course.

It seems you have Verizon DSL right now? Is that correct?

Changing providers does not change the copper line you are connected to so if you have horrible service on Verizon with very low sync rates, ordering EL will not change your speeds or fix any line problems or make things start working better.

HTH
microphone
Premium Member
join:2009-04-29
Parkville, MD

microphone

Premium Member

Unless the low speed is due to problems with the line itself and not the distance from the CO and Earthlink is able to sit on Verizon to fix these issues.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by microphone:

Unless the low speed is due to problems with the line itself and not the distance from the CO and Earthlink is able to sit on Verizon to fix these issues.

I suppose anything is possible, but it is highly unlikely that EL can get Verizon to condition their copper loop for a resellers new customer. That is why line problems tend to follow the customer regardless of provider.

»DSL FAQ »Must the ILEC fix line problems?

Omgreallybro
@spcsdns.net

Omgreallybro to sonnyb

Anon

to sonnyb
Dude. Calm down.
ALL providers say "up to," they HAVE to say that. It's a residential service. They can't promise 3m or 6m or whatever at all times.
Since you already have DSL, post your modem's line stats here.
That will give us an idea of your line's capability.
Though, if it's offering you 3m, chances are you'll get close to it.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to sonnyb

MVM

to sonnyb
said by sonnyb:

... I'd like to hear some reasoning on, what exactly does "up to" mean? how about using "no less then" instaed?

Plain English: Means no guaranty of the highest speed offered. My ISP (Sonic.net) sells "up to" 20 Mb/s ADSL2+ service. They do not offer tiers, one price fits all. In your original post you mention two tiers available for the same price? That implies that slower is not cheaper, so why should it matter that you don't know what speed you will get?

FWIW, I signed my mother up for the same ISP I have. We both paid the exact same amount; but she only got 4.9 Mb/s, while I get 13.1 Mb/s.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to sonnyb

to sonnyb
My provider is the same as well, my CenturyLink plan is "up to 40Mbps" for $29.99/mo. My line is able to successfully train at 40Mbps down and 5Mbps up, but my neighbor two doors down due to the way his copper loop runs can only do 20/1 but he pays the same as me.

It's just how DSL works, and if your line is suppose to do up to 3Mbps, try plugging your modem into the NID outside directly with the rest of the house wiring unplugged to see if that's the culprit as bad inside wiring will kill a DSL signal faster than anything.