uniqs
share rss forum feed

Savious
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
kudos:4

Alternative to FRAPS

I was checking out FRAPs today and thought it was pretty swift, but it cost $37 to make a video longer than 30 seconds!

Any suggestions, I don't really want to pay $37 for something I may only use once.
--
Gaming with me is better than sex.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
xsplit

cheesyyellow

join:2009-06-04
Poulsbo, WA
reply to Savious
A good free option is msi afterburner. Dxtory also works well but it's not free.

I'm assuming you're running an AMD card or I would suggest shadowplay.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
Im running NVDIA. Whats shadowplay?
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Savious
Nvidia ShadowPlay.

There's also barely any performance hit in game.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to Savious
It's a feature in the newer GeForce Experience software builds. It can do conventional manual video recording, or "shadow mode", where it continuously records a preset amount of video in the background. Hit a button and it saves whatever was buffered. Nice for getting clips of kill shots or whatever without having to sift through lots of excess video.

I've installed the GFE software but haven't done anything with it yet other than look at the game graphics settings presets. Check it out here. As it's using the GPU to do the encoding, it should have substantially less performance impact than Fraps, as well as not chewing up tons of hard drive space - Fraps easily uses a few GB/minute for higher-resolution captures.
--
KI6RIT

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
reply to Savious
+1 Afterburner

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to Savious
Well, I wanted to do a recording of Path of Exile for the forum, one to show people the game and one to show off how crazy you can get if you try hard enough (Im casting up to 15 spells at once).

So I was looking at maybe a 15-20 minute video. I liked how simple FRAPS was to use, hit this button to record, this button to stop. Hit this button to record voice, this button to stop.

Ill check out afterburner tonight.
--

cheesyyellow

Poulsbo, WA
If you're running NVDIA 600 or better I can't recommend shadowplay enough. Virtually no frame drop. One thing to keep in mind is that if you're running windows 7 it records in 10 minute chunks. It'll keep recording but you'll have multiple files. Windows 8 will record to 1 file for as long as you want.

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Savious
+1 for Shadowplay as well. It's also dead simple to set up if you download the latest Geforce Experience 1.8.1. They also just added the ability to connect to Twitch so you can stream your game online for others to watch Live while you play. Tried it out a few times already, and it's rather buggy. But this is still a beta feature so it's to be expected.

cheesyyellow

Poulsbo, WA
said by TruSm0ke:

+1 for Shadowplay as well. It's also dead simple to set up if you download the latest Geforce Experience 1.8.1. They also just added the ability to connect to Twitch so you can stream your game online for others to watch Live while you play. Tried it out a few times already, and it's rather buggy. But this is still a beta feature so it's to be expected.

I haven't tried the streaming feature yet. I've used open broadcaster in the past and it works great. I don't do a lot of streaming right now but may when I get to Japan. I'll give the shadowplay streaming a run then.

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA
reply to Savious
Click for full size
Fraps bitrate @ 1920x1200, 30 FPS
Click for full size
Shadowplay config
Make sure to have 60+ GB of free space if you intend on using Fraps. It chews through space at an astonishing rate (nearly 3 GB for a one minute recording of WoW). With Shadowplay, the output is already compressed into H.264 format, so the output is much smaller. The tradeoff is that it's saved directly into a lossy format, so you lose some flexibility with using a separate encoder to customize the video without transcoding (which is bad for quality).

Fraps:
+Lossless compression for best quality/flexibility
+Easy to use and decent amount of features
-Cost
-Lossless compression=HUGE source files
-Can reduce framerate substantially when recording, depending on settings and hardware
-Requires a separate program to encode into other formats

Shadowplay:
+Simple interface
+Compresses directly to H.264, so long recordings use minimal hard drive space
+Uses the GPU's video encode engine, so minimal loss in performance
+Shadow record feature=awesome
-Direct recording to H.264 reduces flexibility with video customization without transcoding

Afterburner:
+Can encode directly into H.264, provided you have x264vfw installed
+No vendor lock - any recent GPU type/brand should work (install both Afterburner and the RivaTuner Statistics Server though!)
-CPU encoding can result in reduced performance
-Same caveat as above for direct-to-H.264
--
KI6RIT

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
Thank you for the info.

I don't plan on doing any editing at this point. Sounds like Shadowplay will work great. I can talk into the mic whilst playing/recording, correct?
--

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA
I haven't tried it yet, but in theory, yes. I'll try it tonight.
--
KI6RIT

cheesyyellow

Poulsbo, WA
reply to Savious
said by Savious:

Thank you for the info.

I don't plan on doing any editing at this point. Sounds like Shadowplay will work great. I can talk into the mic whilst playing/recording, correct?

Yes you can. Mic recording feature was added about 3 weeks ago.

PinkyThePig
Premium
join:2011-05-02
Tempe, AZ
reply to Savious
On Linux I just use a custom ffmpeg shell script

I can use it to stream to twitch.tv or record to my hard drive. Records both speaker audio and my microphone.