Phantom 2
On no he can't
Premium Member
join:2002-05-13

Phantom 2

Premium Member

F4 Phantom

Click for full size
I know I am probably asking the impossible but I could use some help.I am trying to identify the F4 Phantom pictured in this crash for historical reference.I need to be able to identify the "Tailcode".It should be FA,FO,FG,FP,FY or SJ followed by a three digit number.For example FG 123.This photo was taken at Ubon Airbase in Thailand during the 1960's or 70's.The tailcode info will enable us to be accurate in determining just when.Your help will be greatly appreciated

DeathK
Premium Member
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH

1 recommendation

DeathK

Premium Member

What I've found thus far...

Jet was from the 433rd Tactical Fighter Squadron (FG tailcode operating out of Ubon AFB): »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8t ··· tnam_War
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/43 ··· tnam_War

Here is website detailing all F-4 Phantom losses by year: »www.ejection-history.org ··· 1968.htm

Full jet identifying information can be hit or miss there. I did come across this one that could be plausible

It does appear like the nosecone/radome is missing or highly damaged in that image. The jet also looks like what you'd see if it landed gear-up and slid to a stop. I don't know where the pictures are that are mentioned in the description above.

I'll keep looking.

Phantom 2
On no he can't
Premium Member

Phantom 2

Premium Member

You are correct.It is a 433rd jet.What I 'm trying to identify are the tail #s.I can make out a 7 but that's about it .I thought maybe you guys had some type of software that could read those numbers

DeathK
Premium Member
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH

1 recommendation

DeathK to Phantom 2

Premium Member

to Phantom 2
The quality is too low. The last two numbers are just basically smears with no real definition. All you could really do is guess. This is why I was using other avenues of investigation.

Phantom 2
On no he can't
Premium Member

Phantom 2

Premium Member

The jet that you mention is aircraft 249.It was also 433rd.It is not the one in the crash photo
Phantom 2

Phantom 2 to DeathK

Premium Member

to DeathK
Deathk,thanks for your efforts