how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

Thoughts on this Updated Cloud DVR Time Warner Cable is Deploying?

Have any of you seen this updated cloud-based DVR Time Warner Cable references in this press release today? If so, have any thoughts on the quality?

»www.businesswire.com/news/home/2···Services

quote:
Time Warner Cable is accelerating its rollout of a new guide with cloud-based navigation services that gives customers simplified navigation, more program information, a new VOD portal and better search capability. These new features are available on over 2 million set-top boxes today and will be available on over 6 million boxes by the end of 2014.

“We’ve received great feedback on our new cloud-based guide features and are excited to deliver an even better television experience for our customers,” said Rob Marcus, President and Chief Operating Officer. “We’re investing in improving our video service, making it even easier for our customers to enjoy all of their video choices.”
Comparable to the Comcast X1 and X2?

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

already out in the majority of TWC systems on the OCAP boxes with DOCSIS Settop gateway enabled.

FailOverflow

join:2011-02-23
united state
reply to Karl Bode

I live in an area that TWC forgets they provide service.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39
reply to motorola870

How is the quality? Is it comparable to the Comcast X1 and other "next-gen" set tops?

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to motorola870

said by motorola870:

already out in the majority of TWC systems on the OCAP boxes with DOCSIS Settop gateway enabled.

Did they forget the DFW Market?

CJ90006

join:2004-10-05
Los Angeles, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

said by chamberc:

said by motorola870:

Did they forget the DFW Market?

Or Los Angeles?

joeb99

join:2010-03-18
reply to chamberc

I believe DFW will get it 1/7/14.

motorola870

Arlington, TX

credible sources? I know it was supposed to rollout in the DFW area on 12/6/13 but got delayed to the severe ice storm. TWC finally got around to upgrading the CMTS I am on to handle more upstream capacity of 3 6.4MHz QAM64 upstreams and 1 3.2MHz QAM64 upstream

said by joeb99:

I believe DFW will get it 1/7/14.

joeb99

DFW was never scheduled to receive the L release that week. Here is the original schedule before San Antonio got delayed til 12/6:

· Tuesday 12/3 - Corpus Christi, El Paso, Golden Triangle (Beaumont, Port Arthur, Winnie), Laredo, Rio Grande Valley
· Wednesday 12/4 - San Antonio
· Thursday 12/5 - Central Texas (Austin, Waco, Kerrville, South Central)

MeInDallas

join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX
reply to Karl Bode

Does this mean it can record more than 2 programs at one time? If its still limited to recording 2 programs at once, then what good is it. I wish TWC would get to work on that 6 tuner model that was supposed to be rolled out the last half of 2013 that never happened.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
reply to joeb99

said by joeb99:

DFW was never scheduled to receive the L release that week. Here is the original schedule before San Antonio got delayed til 12/6:

· Tuesday 12/3 - Corpus Christi, El Paso, Golden Triangle (Beaumont, Port Arthur, Winnie), Laredo, Rio Grande Valley
· Wednesday 12/4 - San Antonio
· Thursday 12/5 - Central Texas (Austin, Waco, Kerrville, South Central

hmm why then did customer service tell me on 12/2 that Dallas was scheduled for 12/6 and then later in the week it was put on hold until further notice?

motorola870

Arlington, TX
reply to MeInDallas

no 2 streams is still the max available the update just gives us a 16x9 guide with enhanced VOD, DVR menus, and some other enhancements.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:10
reply to Karl Bode

said by Karl Bode:

How is the quality? Is it comparable to the Comcast X1 and other "next-gen" set tops?

I would answer your question but I have no idea what the X1 does!

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Satch

join:2009-11-25

There's conflicting information out there about the new guide,

Select Regions of California, Dallas, New York, and the Carolina's have it on the new Cisco, Samsung, and Motorolla boxes.

I asked about the Cloud Guide at TWC Forums and they said, it is still being developed. Seemingly inferring that the updated guide being deployed on the above boxes and regions is not the cloud guide they are talking about. But is a model representing what the cloud guide will become.

The cloud service is going to be an on-going development transition, moving features out of the boxes to the servers to free up memory on the legacy boxes.

It is unknown what TWC will do with the SA-C boxes in this transition process. Charter Cable is testing a cloud-based guide that will run on all box platforums from legacy to modern.

I have been told the SA boxes don't have the processor power to do a 16x9 guide. But could they do an HD Guide if the guide was "in the cloud" and not on the boxes?

The new search and VOD ports for the new guide are activated by the MSO at the head end. I assume that this data, coming from the servers is cloud-based. Aren't applets like VOD already cloud-based.

Nothing on the six-tuner boxes. It would be great to see them this year, even if they only start out as available for Whole Home DVR subs. I am sure that those boxes will have the cloud-based guide built-in on activation.

Satch

motorola870

Arlington, TX

yes this is the cloud guide they have been talking about the guide isn't going to be totally off of the boxes instead they are moving features off of the boxes. Right now Dallas has the second version of the could features with the original Advanced Search and when navigator loads it says something about Advanced search HTML and VOD Portal HTML.

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Calera, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Satch

The reason Charter's "in the cloud" guide can run on any box, from a 10 year old Scientific Atlanta receiver to the newest Pace or Samsung, is that everything is rendered on the server at Charter's datacenter and then the UI is streamed down to your box simply as a video channel. All the receiver has to be able to do is take your remote inputs and transmit them out to the server over the plant and then display a video channel determined by the server.

No idea if this is how TWC's "cloud" UI is working, the cloud part may simply be because settings and searches and whatnot are performed server side, the UI may still be generated on the client itself.

motorola870

Arlington, TX

the only question about that cloud implementation that charter wants to use is how much bandwidth are you going to lose just to dedicate Video carriers to display the guide which is nothing new and has been done before heck TWC had that implementation for their VOD portal on the failed microsoft guide test they did in the early 2000s Wichita Falls TX had that guide and finally was converted to iGuide but they had a menu where silicondust tuners were picking it up and it was a basic menu but you could see the categories for VOD selections. TWC is just using the cloud based features for enhanced VOD, and search right now.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
reply to Karl Bode

Does this require new cable (box/DVR)s?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

1 recommendation

It's part of the Navigator guide so it needs a box that runs Navigator and not iGuide
--
Start with what you can do, solutions will follow...

me2153

join:2013-12-03
Dublin, OH
reply to Karl Bode

From my understanding the rest of the upgrade in the Columbus area is supposed to be Jan. 7th. The only thing on it right now on it is they have made it 16X9.I just hope it does not slow it down. It is slow enough.

rv65
Premium
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!
kudos:1

16x9 guide is quite fast, but it requires only the latest cable boxes. If you have a 8300HDC, 8240HDC, 4250HDC, 4240HDC, or Samsung 3050 you won't get the new guide. Those with the latest Samsung, Cisco and Motorola DCX-M boxes will get it.

me2153

join:2013-12-03
Dublin, OH

I have the newest Cisco boxes in our area the 8640HDC.

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE
reply to Karl Bode

We've had middle way 7.0.8 on our Samsung dvr for like a month and and they just updated it to 7.0.8.1, but it also seems we have the latest odn: »dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3834···2036.jpg Yes we have the new 16x9 guide and what not, but no new search as its it oob only mode, as CM says N/A. I wonder if this is the cloud dvr or not?

Iffy4

@rr.com
reply to Karl Bode

Don't be in such a hurry to be "Updated".
Yes, the new guide does have a lot of features but it has taken away a lot of the helpful functions that the previous Search button (B) had. I used to be able to Search (B) for other times for a show I had found on the guide or was watching either on the TV or the DVR. No longer. I have to use the keyboard now to spell out the show that I am watching. Sometimes there will be an "In Progress" on the Search screen. But it is never what I am actually watching. There will be nothing listed or may be something I watched to day before. In any case, after spelling the shows name out, I am given choices. But after choosing one, if it is not the right choice then I have to go back to the beginning and spell out the name all over again on the keyboard. I did contact customer service and the president's office but was told that indeed the functions have been taken away and "Maybe" would be considered for future updates. Is there such a word as 'downdate'. Because that is what has happened to the Search feature of the guide.

joeb99

reply to joeb99

Correction. Dallas is getting the update Jan 14.

Satch

reply to Iffy4

said by Iffy4 :

Don't be in such a hurry to be "Updated".
Yes, the new guide does have a lot of features but it has taken away a lot of the helpful functions that the previous Search button (B) had. I used to be able to Search (B) for other times for a show I had found on the guide or was watching either on the TV or the DVR. No longer. I have to use the keyboard now to spell out the show that I am watching. Sometimes there will be an "In Progress" on the Search screen. But it is never what I am actually watching. There will be nothing listed or may be something I watched to day before. In any case, after spelling the shows name out, I am given choices. But after choosing one, if it is not the right choice then I have to go back to the beginning and spell out the name all over again on the keyboard. I did contact customer service and the president's office but was told that indeed the functions have been taken away and "Maybe" would be considered for future updates. Is there such a word as 'downdate'. Because that is what has happened to the Search feature of the guide.

Yes,

On the boxes with the updated search, the "B" button needs to start on the show being watched, or the show selected in the Time Grid, like the older system does. The Passport software did this, and Passport was always my favorite guide software.

Satch

sillykygirl

join:2013-11-30
united state
reply to DrDrew

said by DrDrew:

It's part of the Navigator guide so it needs a box that runs Navigator and not iGuide

How do u know if your box runs Navigator or iGuide?
I've got Motorola DCH3416 DVR box.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

said by sillykygirl:

I've got Motorola DCH3416 DVR box.

The DCH boxes can't run Navigator so you probably have iGuide
--
Start with what you can do, solutions will follow...

Satch

reply to joeb99

said by joeb99:

Correction. Dallas is getting the update Jan 14.

They said Wisconsin will get it by mid January. (Probably the same as the Dallas Market, January 14th.) Most Wisconsin subs only have the SA-8300HDC boxes unless they are in a Whole Home program, so I guess we will be getting DVR Compensation back, the ability to filter the guide alphabetically (A-Z) in the time grid. Those with the newer boxes are getting the 16x9 guide. Many divisions are not adding the new search and VOD features yet.

Satch

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to me2153

said by me2153:

I have the newest Cisco boxes in our area the 8640HDC.

I'm sorry for you. I had two of those boxes in August of 2010 and they were turds.