Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wdh280
TWC Extreme

join:2001-10-13
Middletown, OH
reply to Karl Bode

Re: Thoughts on this Updated Cloud DVR Time Warner Cable is Deploying?

I'm in Middletown, Ohio between Dayton and Cincinnati sometime last night got the new 16x9 Guide. ODN 7.0.8.1 downloaded.

Romhog

join:2002-06-14
Enon, OH

Im getting an infinite loop of death on this trying to load. started at midnight last night and after its completed it starts all over again only stating its back ok the OOB CVT prg number 157
Imgld: 116 NoOfBlkstodwld: 508 ... over and over and over.
its 13 hours now and of course calling them, they had nothing to offer but a general statement that "its down".. anyone else seen this?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:10

There are always a small percentage of boxes that this sort of stuff happens too. I would probably swap it.

Hob

FailOverflow

join:2011-02-23
united state
reply to Karl Bode

What build number is supposed to have the folder view for recorded shows?

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to Satch

Click for full size
They got the update in the Hudson valley but on an SA8300HDC it doesn't seem any different to me. I gotta come up with a way to convince my inlaws to get newer equipment. They are tech challenged so how should I convince them to lose their DVR recordings and start over on newer gear?

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to FailOverflow

said by FailOverflow:

What build number is supposed to have the folder view for recorded shows?

I'm curious as well. No folders here on an 8300HDC.

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1

The HD guide, folders, On Demand Portal and maybe a few other things aren't included in the update for Scientific Atlanta boxes.

You have to have one of the following boxes to get all of the features in ODN 7.

Cisco: 4640HDC, 4642HDC, 8640HDC, 8642HDC, 4742HDC, 8742HDC
Samsung: H3260, H3262, H3270, H3272, H3090, H3362
Motorola: 3200-M, 3400-M, 3510-M

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

Darn they only have H3050's and one 8300HDC here.

Thanks for the info. They got whatever the installer had on the truck when they moved here last year.

rv65
Premium
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!
reply to Karl Bode

San Diego has the new DVR menu and I have it on my Cisco 8642HDC and Samsung 3272 and TWC has enabled DSG (DOCSIS Set top gateway) on my Samsung and Cisco boxes. No Advanced Search or VOD portal yet, but that will come soon.

Satch

join:2009-11-25

said by rv65:

San Diego has the new DVR menu and I have it on my Cisco 8642HDC and Samsung 3272 and TWC has enabled DSG (DOCSIS Set top gateway) on my Samsung and Cisco boxes. No Advanced Search or VOD portal yet, but that will come soon.

TWC has to move more features out of the boxes and into the cloud to free up memory on the SA boxes before they can add all the things that ODN 7 has on the modern boxes. The more guide elements they can migrate to the cloud the easier it will become to update the older boxes. TWC can only update the SA boxes a little at a time because of memory limitations. But the cloud migration frees up the memory restrictions.

I believe TWC should mainstream all areas with new boxes. The problem is that costs too much and they don't want SA boxes, that while they may be slow-still work ok just to be junked. I would certainly hope at least that the non-C MDN boxes would be out of the system completely, but as I reported a while back, there's a TWC division in New York that somehow gave a customer an SA-8000. (The first DVR TWC ever had.) No reason why any area should be giving out boxes that old.

What's probably going to happen is, late this year into early next year, the six-tuner DVR's will begin to make their way into New York, LA, and North Carolina Markets. (The markets that seem to get updates first.) TWC will require a Whole House DVR or Signature Home Service to get them. At that time, regular subs might start getting the current Cisco, Motorollas, and Samsungs that TWC gives out to Whole Home/Signature Home Subs now. The release of the six-tuner DVR's I think are going to be the only way to begin a universal purging of SA boxes from all TWC markets.

Problem is the six tuner DVR's have been in testing since 2010 or thereabouts, and as to the actual deployment is still anybody's guess. A press release means nothing until it applies to your area and you can get the services mentioned.

Satch

me2153

join:2013-12-03
Dublin, OH
reply to Karl Bode

got new updates in Columbus Ohio area yesterday. have the portal now on 999. so, I look for anytime the national roll out to hit here.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

1 edit

said by me2153:

got new updates in Columbus Ohio area yesterday. have the portal now on 999. so, I look for anytime the national roll out to hit here.

hmm here in Dallas the VOD portal moved from 996 and 999 to 1 and a MOD duplicate was added on 1999. I am guessing the 1999 MOD channel is to get ready for the NCL. I personally hope when they do go to the NCL here in Dallas that they leave channel 1 as the VOD channel as the remotes are programmed for Channel 1 to go to VOD since we have iGuide boxes with the main VOD menu on channel 1 on those boxes as well.

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!
reply to Karl Bode

San Diego has the VOD portal on 999 but it is not listed in the guide and requires a subscription to access. That means it will come later.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to motorola870

When will it come to ex-Insight Columbus

MeInDallas

join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX
reply to Karl Bode

Saw this on another website. The pictures look more like an extender box instead of a DVR.

»www.fiercecable.com/story/arris-···14-02-10

Satch

Can we all agree that if the Comcast deal goes through, TWC Navigator is dead. I think most see this as a good thing. Xfinity is Comcast's new cloud-based guide, which is available in selected markets. They also use Motorolla and SA boxes. Xfinity's guide has some bugs. Does Comcast use Passport or i-Guide on its other boxes?

Satch

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by Satch:

Can we all agree that if the Comcast deal goes through, TWC Navigator is dead. I think most see this as a good thing. Xfinity is Comcast's new cloud-based guide, which is available in selected markets. They also use Motorolla and SA boxes. Xfinity's guide has some bugs. Does Comcast use Passport or i-Guide on its other boxes?

Satch

nope there will be split in the code likely as the older SA boxes will have to stay MDN and the ODN boxes will likely get X1 and Bright House will keep MDN and ODN meaning that MDN is going to be split into two code bases one for Comcast and one for Bright House. I just can't see Comcast deploying iGuide on the SA boxes it is too much of a hassle not to mention the pioneer and and pace ancient boxes don't support it.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to Satch

Yes Comcast still has iGuide on a large percentage of boxes. Anything DCT or DCH based has iGuide.
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···manuals/

X1 (X2 is in testing) are the new tru2way guides with some cloud features, it's a direct swap for Navigator on the tru2way capable boxes:
»www.comcast.com/x1
--
I'll make it work.... hand me that BFR.

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by DrDrew:

Yes Comcast still has iGuide on a large percentage of boxes. Anything DCT or DCH based has iGuide.
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···manuals/

X1 (X2 is in testing) are the new tru2way guides with some cloud features, it's a direct swap for Navigator on the tru2way capable boxes:
»www.comcast.com/x1

here is another angle Motorola originally mentioned the DCH series boxes as being capable of being OCAP which may still be true:
»www.motorolasolutions.com/web/Bu···ibItem=1

so Comcast could somehow figure a way out to retrofit those boxes with a cloud based box by enabling the DOCSIS 2.0 modem in them and move most of the features off of the box hey would work but it would definitely be slower than a DCX3510M at 640MB RAM versus 128MB on a DCH box.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

Comcast wouldn't run x1 on the DCH just like TWC won't run navigator on them. Both just use iguide on them
--
I'll make it work.... hand me that BFR.

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by DrDrew:

Comcast wouldn't run x1 on the DCH just like TWC won't run navigator on them. Both just use iguide on them

yeah I know but it could technically be possible to run a cloud based guide on any box with a DOCSIS 2.0 modem built in. I know it would take a lot but it would require a lot of the features moved to the servers at the headend to accomplish it.

DrDrew do you think SDV will stick around? I am hoping so that we can keep all of the HD channels we have instead losing a lot. I hope we don't lose premium HD channels :/

CJ90006

join:2004-10-05
Los Angeles, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Karl Bode

If Comcast takeover/merger is approved, I don't think much will change for a long time. Mostly just a name change for now. TWC already has too much new infrastructure in place (in certain markets.) It takes forever to consolidate billing systems and headend structure.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..

said by CJ90006:

If Comcast takeover/merger is approved, I don't think much will change for a long time. Mostly just a name change for now. TWC already has too much new infrastructure in place (in certain markets.) It takes forever to consolidate billing systems and headend structure.

Yep - As seen with the purchase of Insight the name changed but a lot of things such as billing, services take time.

If approved it will take years for Comcastic changes to occur to the TWC plant (In areas such as Channel Line Ups etc.)

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to motorola870

Tecnically if a box has a DOCSIS modem built in, I don't see why not. However the DCH and earlier do not support HD graphics generation. So it would be either 4:3 SD GUI or stretched (depending on what the firmware and hardware would allow them to do). The only way to go HD GUI is to open a dedicated HD stream over QAM straight to the box. Then your putting the tuners in the headend and all the graphics overlay processing on top of that centrally. Then each active STB in the node would be tuned to an HD QAM feed specifically for it. That is definitely SDV at that point, plus you need some small node sizes because in some houses there are 4 or more active STB's. Some are not even being watched but many people don't turn them off. DVR's would also be "in the cloud". The number of simultaneous recordings per home would simply be a matter of how many tuner banks they have in the headend and a software setting per account. They want to offer 6 tuners, or 10 tuners, or 20 tuners... if they have the resources they could. All remote control commands would have to pass upstream to the servers. Could be laggy if not implemented right or if your return path is the slightest bit noisy.

You would eliminate all broadcast and conventional sdv/vod qams and instead the plant from Ch 7-135 would just be banks and banks and banks of HD 3:1 QAM's and DOCSIS 3.0. Each STB assigned a feed. Ch 2-6 would be unused for future return path expansion. There would be a few channels throughout 7-135 that may be excluded as well for Amplifier AGC control, ingress issues, FCC Flyover testing and balancing carriers.

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Calera, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to motorola870

said by motorola870:

said by Satch:

Satch

nope there will be split in the code likely as the older SA boxes will have to stay MDN and the ODN boxes will likely get X1 and Bright House will keep MDN and ODN meaning that MDN is going to be split into two code bases one for Comcast and one for Bright House. I just can't see Comcast deploying iGuide on the SA boxes it is too much of a hassle not to mention the pioneer and and pace ancient boxes don't support it.

You have no idea if that is what will happen or not. You shouldn't talk in such certainty. Comcast has already said they plan to standardize on X1, why wouldn't they? What happens to the TWC project and BHN has been argued in the BHN forum between me and you but it's obvious that it will be going away in the long term on TWC.

SimiVoice

join:2013-12-30
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Karl Bode

Is there anyone in the Los Angeles area/market that has actually gotten this updated software? And if so, how is the new interface vs before (any speed improvements/great new useful features)? Also if you wouldn't mind, please post the model of the set-top box that it is running on.

Considering TWC for TV + Internet and am looking into their TV situation now because we had them before in 2012 with the DCX3510-M DVR (with Navigator guide, I believe version 6) but it would lose audio annoyingly every few hours and a whole reboot of the set-top box would be required. Internet was great with them, extremely reliable and over advertised speeds (over-provisioned Standard Internet tier with SB6141). Now with the TWC MAXX upgrades coming around by the end of the year (I live in Simi Valley), I'd definitely consider going back to them, depending on your guys' feedback.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated! Thanks everyone!

motorola870

Arlington, TX

this software has been available in LA since late last year in parts and in Motorola areas since January.

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!

San Diego has the new VOD portal on CH. 1, but you need to have a Cisco, Samsung, Motorola DCX-M or the new 6 tuner DVR.

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by rv65:

San Diego has the new VOD portal on CH. 1, but you need to have a Cisco, Samsung, Motorola DCX-M or the new 6 tuner DVR.

well Carlsbad has VOD on Channel 1 for everyone again

I am still wondering why TWC duplicated Movies On Demand on channel 1999 in Dallas (Navigator boxes only)? In the new lineups 1999 is How To On Demand?

Satch

1 recommendation

Have the new six tuner DVR's been released? Make and model specs? Please list if known.

Satch

PS. Here is an article about multiple DVR tuners and some models available now:

»www.fiercecable.com/special-repo···ck-punch