how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

The Huntsman

join:2011-10-19
United State

Speed Was Reduced

I got Frontier installed around five months ago and the service worked fine. However, over the past few weeks, the DSL has been going out frequently. After numerous customer service calls, they eventually decided that the reason for my sudden problems is that the line was allocating more speed than it could handle. They lowered us from 3 MBPS to 1.6 MBPS. Of course, I never got anywhere near 3 MBPS, and speed tests now show it at around 1.2 MBPS.

It just doesn't seem right to me. If the line was allocating more than it could handle, why did it work fine for several months? Why would it only now need to be adjusted? Is it common practice for them to do this sort of thing?

Also, do you think 1.2 MBPS will still be adequate for online gaming? I was stuck with satellite internet for years, and was happy when Frontier became available because I could actually play games online. Then this happens and now my Xbox One's multiplayer connectivity test keeps warning me of high packet loss.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

The modus operandi for Frontier is to continue to oversell the result is that the system cannot support the additional customers at the promised speed. So to resolve that problem they reduce your speed. So you are not along in the boat, several of us have experienced the same or similar things. You are correct it is not right, but they do not violate the terms that you signed up under because it says "up to", the speed is not guaranteed.

Will it impact your gaming? It depends upon the game and what latency it will tolerate.

All I can say is this is life with Frontier.

cool88

@frontiernet.net
reply to The Huntsman

post your line stats pls and I play xbox 360 on 3mbps and 1.5mbps and its good but when ur modem sync from 3mbps to 1.5mbps the ping goes from 25/50ms to 100/150ms ping and starts lose the packets. dont forget the upload when it change from 3mbps down to 1.6mbps down could have went down also. but post your line stats.

Me101011

join:2008-06-03
Saline, MI
reply to The Huntsman

Just another data point... My son and I have simultaneously played xbox games like COD/Battlefield on a 1.5 mbs connection. It's not optimal, but provided we were the only one's using our home's internet connection at the time it was good enough to be fun. 1.5mbs seems to be close to the limit for two to play - if anyone else in our home goes online to browse, or do email, our latency will go up enough to make games unplayable.

cool88

@frontiernet.net

me101011 post your line stats also and we can tell u if you need to annoy frontier to bump ur line to 3mbps or if you could hold 3mbps if ur on the 1mbps plan.

cool88

@frontiernet.net

on the 3mbps I can have 2 xbox 360 on live playin cod mw3, 2 laptops, 2 phones and 2 tablets on and not lag at all always hold a 3/4 bar on cod mw3 and dont lag on any other games. but on nascar the game inside line the upload speed of 448kbps up is not good enough on that game i would say you need a 648kbps upload speed or more to not lag out of a race or lose cars on your screen while in game chat.

The Huntsman

United State

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1600 384
Margin (dB) 25.1 28.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 43.5 27.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 14.5 12.6
FEC Errors 0 3831
HEC Errors 96348 3455
CRC Errors 41649 0

There be a lot of errors.

cool88

@frontiernet.net

what modem do u have netgear 7550 or westell 7500? you margin is good you line attenuation is ok to hold 3mbps and trans power good. your line can hold 3mbps try to get a tech out and rewire to the jack that the modem runs on it could be your line in your house make errors most techs will replace the wire to the jack if u ask them 2 and get the tech to put the speed back at 3mbps and with a new line going from the jack to the main box from your house you should hold a little closer to the 2.7mbps to the full 3mbps and the errors may go down.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

The Huntsman can rule in or rule out the interior cabling by checking at the NID. If it is still error ridden at the NID the problem is in the Telco system/line and not the interior cabling.

Me101011

Saline, MI
reply to cool88

I don't want to hijack the op's thread, but based on what other knowledgeable people have told me our line should handle at least 5mbs, and maybe 6-7mbs.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

Not sure he is located in the same area the you are.

cool88

@frontiernet.net

you just half to get a tech to put it there to 6mbps. but on my line with the new fiber optic line in my area it can hold 12mbps on just this single line.

cool88

@frontiernet.net

but post your line stats me101011 where we can tell u if ur line can hold 6mbps full.

Me101011

Saline, MI

This is what my line stats were 2yrs ago when Smith6612 looked at them for me.

»Re: Provisioned speed

Why have not upgraded? It's mainly been because I don't want the same hassles with frontier that so many others have written about in this forum. :-(

The Huntsman

United State
reply to Hank

said by Hank:

The Huntsman can rule in or rule out the interior cabling by checking at the NID. If it is still error ridden at the NID the problem is in the Telco system/line and not the interior cabling.

How would I do that? Sorry for my ignorance. I'm, uh, not savvy with this networking stuff.

cool88

@frontiernet.net

me101011 you can hold 5mbps to the full 6mbps and if its still interleaved on data path that needs to be change to fast path for less lag while gaming. but the line stats half to be the same to hold 5mbps or even the full 6mbps. and i understand on the frontier part.

cool88

@frontiernet.net

the huntsman it is your main phone box outside the house maybe hank can explain it better to you.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to The Huntsman

Here are a couple pages that will provide you with the basic information. Not all NID's are exactly the same, but all serve the same purpose. This particular one uses a cable to connect the line to the network, others have a snap-in device, as depiced in the Verizon link, that when open will expose the test jack. You can connect your modems input directly to this test jack using the same cable that use to connect to the wall jack in your house. If you connect here and you have zero or the errors are greatly diminished then the problem is in your house wiring. If the errors remain then the problem is on the Telco side and the problem is the incoming line or at the remote.

»www.homephonewiring.com/nid.html

»www.verizon.com/Support/Resident···2702.htm

The Huntsman

United State
reply to The Huntsman

I have another question. I mentioned a connectivity test on my Xbox One. When I do that, my download packet loss is 0% but my upload packet loss is always between 15% and 20%. When I run tests on my PC, like on pingtest.net, it always tells me that I have 0% packet loss. Are these online tests not counting upload packet loss? Or is my Xbox One losing packets that my PC isn't?

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

Do the test from the NID and see what you get. Look at the modem stats. The test you are preforming may not give accurate results.

The Huntsman

United State

I've looked over what you said about the NID and I'm still confused. I took computer networking in high school and I technically failed it. The extent of my knowledge is modems and routers, and barely even that. It took me several hours to figure out port forwarding. So I'm afraid me checking the NID isn't an option.

The issue at hand is that my system worked fine for months, but then it didn't and Frontier downgraded me. And ever since the downgrade, my Xbox One detects high upload packet loss. It would seem that it has to be on Frontier's end and not something interior.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Hopefully you also looked at the material in the links provided and you actually looked at your NID. They provide a decent physical description of the NID. Unfortunately posting things in this forum without responding to questions asked or actually physically looking at things will not help you to resolve the network issue you are having. You would probably be much better off with placing a trouble call or service calls to Frontier until they resolve the issue.

The Huntsman

United State

Fine, I'll look into doing the NID test. But I don't see how that's even relevant. And those errors? They stopped on their own without me doing anything. However, the fact remains that ever since Frontier downgraded my line speed, my Xbox One is getting high packet loss errors. That tells me that the problem has to be on their end.

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1600 384
Margin (dB) 25.4 23.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 43.2 28.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 14.7 12.7
FEC Errors 0 0
HEC Errors 1 0
CRC Errors 3 0

The Huntsman

United State

My father called them today while I was asleep and they decided that the solution would be to install a second modem on its own phone jack. The modem that we currently have would be used for the computers and phones, while this new modem would be dedicated to the gaming systems.

I was taken aback when he told me, as I don't think that would solve anything. Especially since, again, things worked fine for months up until they didn't.

cool88

@frontiernet.net

get the tech when he comes to put the new modem at 3mbps it can hold it and the modem you have now if that second line stats are from the nid then its the house wiring going from the nid to the phone jack the modem is on and that modem line stats should hold 2.7mbps to the full 3mbps with a new line running from the nid to the jack the modem is on.

cool88

@frontiernet.net

and your upload speed needs to be around 600kbps cause if you dont have the upload when gaming it can make you lag alot like I play nascar inside line on xbl and have 448kbps upload speed it is just not enough i always lose people from my screen cause its a p2p type game

The Huntsman

United State
reply to cool88

said by cool88 :

get the tech when he comes to put the new modem at 3mbps it can hold it and the modem you have now if that second line stats are from the nid then its the house wiring going from the nid to the phone jack the modem is on and that modem line stats should hold 2.7mbps to the full 3mbps with a new line running from the nid to the jack the modem is on.

So I would basically get him to test what Hank was talking about? Sounds good, but what if he refuses to set the modem at 3MBPS? I suspect he'll try to set it at the 1.6 MBPS that Frontier dictated to us.

cool88

@frontiernet.net

if he says he cant just ask why.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

The technician needs to check at the NID and inside. Make sure he pays attention to the noise and errors. Otherwise he is just blowing smoke.

The Huntsman

United State

When we started having problems again, we cancelled the second modem and convinced them to send somebody to fix it. We're now connected at 4.992 MB download and .864 MB upload. The technician insisted that the problems we've had with our modem losing connection to the DSL should now stop as well. The problem was in the line somewhere in the woods near where we live.