spc
Search similar:

uniqs

larrylibert
@swbell.net

larrylibert

Anon

Dell Video Card

I have a Dell Optiplex 780 and am looking for a video card for it. I am looking to run a tv off this and a pc monitor at the same time. Tv will be streaming videos in our store from a playlist and also to be hooked up for streaming live from a remote location for classes. So what is the best video card for this.

Thank You

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE

Premium Member

What, if any, slots are available and which exact model? That appears to be a small form factor case, which will limit card selection.

In any event, assuming a PCI-E slot is available, you can use pretty much any card with dual outputs that meets your budget. You will want DVI or HDMI for the monitor, and HDMI for the TV (assuming the monitor and TV have those inputs available). Card selection will simply be limited by card size (small form factor) and your budget.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to larrylibert

Premium Member

to larrylibert
There's quite a few basic video cards with dvi, and an hdmi out. $50 or less will fit your need. Most will have a vga, dvi, and hdmi, however might only support two being used at the same time which won't be a problem for you.

Are you planning on delivering separate audio to both devices? If so that could be a problem, but if it's just displaying video then that shouldn't be a problem. it would be just like any dual monitor setup.

Something like a nvidia 610 should be perfect, but there are many other cards that would work also.

larrylibert

Anon

Thank You for the info. I will be using audio for tv only. It will be running with videos and photos in our store.
Thanks Again
Larry
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

This should work quite nicely: »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 14121439

Note that many cards in this price range don't allow you to use the HDMI and the DVI ports at the same time. It's one or the other. You'll need to do a bit of research on that before you pull the trigger, if you must use HDMI and DVI. You can use either of those ports and the VGA port without issue.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to larrylibert

to larrylibert
Is that a minitower, desktop or SFF? The first 2 can take many different cards, but your options for the SFF will likely to be very limited.

Even if you don't have a SFF case, you need to take a look at the slots. My somewhat older (740, 755) Optiplexes can only take cards with a single wide bracket.
SD6
join:2005-03-26
Pittsburgh, PA

SD6 to JimE

to JimE
said by JimE:

You will want DVI or HDMI for the monitor

I thought it was now preferable to have Displayport or HDMI (unless your monitor is only DVI)?

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

The connectors needed are really determined by what's on the monitor and the TV. The TV can assumed to be HDMI, but older LCD monitors do not usually have DP.
SD6
Pittsburgh, PA

SD6

said by aurgathor:

The connectors needed are really determined by what's on the monitor and the TV. The TV can assumed to be HDMI, but older LCD monitors do not usually have DP.

That's why I said "(unless your monitor is only DVI)". I guess what I meant is that isn't DP generally agreed to be preferable to DVI if there is a choice between the two? Assuming you have a monitor with DP, you would want to buy a video card with DP port rather than DVI, correct?
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

I'd lean towards DP myself as it can be converted to VGA, DVI, and HDMI with adapters. Cheap passive adapters can be used for the latter two as long as the resolution stays at or below 1920x1200.
SD6
Pittsburgh, PA

SD6 to larrylibert

to larrylibert
Here is a 2010 announcement indicating preference for DisplayPort:

»newsroom.intel.com/commu ··· t-analog