Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Did some work a while ago in a small CO -- not the messiest CO i've been in - primarily because it wasn't too dense. You can really see the age in the MDF and copper facilities there. Too bad DSL still continues to live - it really needs to die.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

Quick toss some salt water at it, while screaming DIE DSL DIE

just be sure that you're there under a contract you wrote that permits you to.
oh and protect the non DSL specific gear.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to imseanbrown

A lot of what's pictured isn't POTS/DSL. There is much "DS3" cabling in there.

(And it's much too clean to be a functioning CO. I'll dig up my pictures from the old BTI local/ld site. [found 'em])

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:16
reply to imseanbrown

Nice place to practice one's mad ninja sword skills... or have an epic lightsaber and water battle :bwhahahah:

Regards

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to cramer

For a CO the DS3/T3 bays sure are messy. Most real COs I've been have been laced very well but I've been in a few that were certainly not up to Bell standards.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

imseanbrown
Premium
join:2005-12-20
New York, NY

Yeah, this is an active CO somewhere in the SE US Some of the floors are clean and tidy - others are a complete disaster.... it's typical for AT&T

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:8
reply to battleop

30 years of mold growth. The infrastructure wiring was, for the most part, clean, laced, etc. (just look at the power distro work.) But that DS3 x-conn mess is decades of individual link cables between the DSX panels. And yes, that mess was 3ft deep.

(You can image what 112 T1's on the back of the 7513 looked like. I moved to CT3's but that just moved the mess to a different room -- Adtran MX2800 muxes. I asked for CHOC12 and the director's head exploded -- $250k (SDMS) card and there was only one in the entire company, in a warehouse no less.)

LightSpan
Premium
join:2004-02-18
Lexington, KY
reply to imseanbrown

I do see some DMX sonet Mux's , and wave shifters for mux and demux of (IOF) inter office fiber routes. To the right of those DISCS bay's on pic #6 you can see all the dslam's.Some are ds3 fed and the ones with the yellow fiber trough's are IP dslam's.

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
reply to imseanbrown

I've installed AT&T's (and old BellSouth) backbone for nearly 14 years. The quality I see really isn't that bad. The back of the systems look decently clean, and that is where you'll find everything laced. The biggest issue I see is no fiber paper where the lacing touches the individual DS3 conductors. On the front of the DS3 bays the jumpers are ALWAYS a nightmare. You'll never find the jumpers laced in.

To be honest I don't recognize a single piece of equipment intended for DSL in the lot. Unless it is integrated into the equipment, Alcatel equipment is exclusively used for copper based xDSL services.

said by LightSpan:

To the right of those DISCS bay's on pic #6 you can see all the dslam's.Some are ds3 fed and the ones with the yellow fiber trough's are IP dslam's.

There is only one approved Alcatel DSLAM that is fiber fed: the 7330. It is kind of hard to make out. The DS3 fed options are: (2) Alcatel 1000's; up to 2 Alcatel 7300 HD's; 1+ Alcatel 7300 LP-HD's; 1+ Alcatel 7300 LP-UD's. The first couple bays are in a config I've never seen. We've never been allowed to mix DSLAM types within the same bay. I can't see enough detail on the fiber fed bays to make a call.

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

1 recommendation

reply to imseanbrown

sadly until cable hits certain areas, dsl will never die. copper will possibly die before that. since phone companies dislike phones it seems, (cellphones are no longer phones) XD

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by moes:

sadly until cable hits certain areas, dsl will never die. copper will possibly die before that. since phone companies dislike phones it seems, (cellphones are no longer phones) XD

Are you giving copper thieves support?
--
semper idem

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

wut? never once did I say anything about copper thieves or even hint at it.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to imseanbrown

So a DSLAM is basically a very compact version of the DSL part of this tied into a fiber trunk to the CO?
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

a DSLAM is the part that terminates the DSL, so on one side is DSL on the other is likely Ethernet.

so say in uverse they might have a mini-dslam in the neighborhood and have that uplinked to the CO via fiber.
--
semper idem

former qwest

join:2014-01-04
out there
reply to imseanbrown

brings back many fond memories of when i was a Lucent Installer.

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

reply to imseanbrown

Click for full size
Here is an Alcatel 7330 install I did late last year. Sorry for the quality, but I had to use my iPhone for the pics. The door also looks discolored because I edited it to remove identifying markers.

The grayish cables are CAT3, and are for the POTS (IN) side. The blue cables are CAT5e, and are the xDSL (OUT) side. In this install a 1Gb link (blue jumpers) is feeding up to 384 subscribers. The multimode (orange fibers) are interconnects between SH-1 an SH-2.

To the right of the 7330 is a Ciena 5150 that is for switched ethernet circuits. This is a very busy location, and 99% business.