imseanbrown

Premium Member

FM Radio station transmitter site

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I was at this site doing some RF work - ever wondered how FM radio actually happens? This is the equipment inside the hut at the base of the tower. The tower site I was at was 1000' and a giant lightning conductor.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada

TheMG

Premium Member

That Ericsson gear... is that used for the STL? Any audio processing done at the transmitter site or all done at the studio and piped directly from STL to exciter?

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO

alphapointe to imseanbrown

MVM

to imseanbrown
That is some BIG-ASS feedline! What is that, 10"?
imseanbrown
Premium Member
join:2005-12-20
New York, NY

imseanbrown to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
Didn't appear to be any audio processing gear - although there was an enclosed cabinet I couldn't see inside.... I was on site dealing with a pesky OC3 link to some 6ghz microwave gear....
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

1 recommendation

voxframe to imseanbrown

to imseanbrown
There's some two-way gear mixed in the 1st and 4th pics. (Combiners on 3rd as well)
Looks like possibly paging. I see a Nucleus transmitter in there, but I'm unfamiliar with the newer ones with the flat fronts and small green status screens. (Probably newer variants of the Nucleus)

EDIT - Idiot me didn't zoom in and see Ericson on them.
EDIT 2 - I think those are Quantars not Nucleus... Godammit I need my coffee. Ignore me now.

The gold-silver cans are the multicoupling/combiner chains for the repeaters to their respective antennas.

I have to admit, it's a nice clean site. Usually two-way sites are shitholes. I'm also impressed to see guard bars in front of the combiner plungers! Out of dozens and dozens of sites, I've only seen a handful with those in place.

jeffmoss26
join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH

jeffmoss26

Very cool pics, thanks for sharing!

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to voxframe

MVM

to voxframe
I see one Quantar there. Not sure what the Ericsson kit is though.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to imseanbrown

Premium Member

to imseanbrown
What is the boxy cabinet with the cylindrical mesh cover top and large copper pipe-like thing protruding out the center of it?
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

said by Thane_Bitter:

What is the boxy cabinet with the cylindrical mesh cover top and large copper pipe-like thing protruding out the center of it?

Looks to me like an RF dummy load. The copper pipe is the RF transmission line to connect to the output from the transmitter. The mesh cover to allow air flow from a fan to cool the dummy load, which probably has to dissipate several kilowatts of RF energy.

It would be used when aligning/testing the transmitter in situations when on-the-air testing is undesirable.

KA0OUV
Premium Member
join:2010-02-17
Jefferson City, MO

KA0OUV to alphapointe

Premium Member

to alphapointe
Most likely 5" air dielectric. Andrew HJ9-50. For Comparison, the rigid copper line meeting it is 3". (The 5" looks bigger because of the outer jacket.)

Transmitter shown (Harris HT Series) is not currently active. (May be a standby site for the station?)

Alphapointe: In contrast, KBIA (on KOMU Tower south of town) has 3" rigid line in 20' sections all the way to the top of the tower. More connections, but if you have a problem halfway up, you don't have to replace all of it.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes to imseanbrown

Premium Member

to imseanbrown
You should really like this tour, I loved it, knowing it's from 98. but still awesome to see

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 8UCEQFE8