uniqs

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin

Mod

Steam OS on a Mac Pro?

I had a weird dream. Involving a black round cylinder, a 4k display, and Steam OS (which is really debian).

I've not kept up with how macs are built to allow native other-OS installs, do you think such a weird creation is a total non starter?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Why bother with Steam OS, which will have a fraction of games that the Windows version does... Install Windows on it.

There's obviously Steam for Mac OS as well, though i'm sure the selection is just as limited as on Linux.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin

Mod

I think you might be underestimating the future.

Steam is betting the company that game makers will be making their titles run on their OS, and it isn't nearly as hard as it used to be especially if they're going out there and tapping key video drivers on the shoulder and saying, you're blessed for games.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I dont think you'll be getting major game makers to jump on the Steam Machine/OS bandwagon. Why bother when you have all the exposure you need with Windows gaming and Playstation & XBox in the console world for serious gaming.

Same reason you dont see top apps/games for windows phone or blackberry as you do on iOS/Android. small marketshare, not worth the bother for some.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

Well, it is off topic, but Steam as the totally dominant PC games market has a lot more leverage than they did.

I think they might be the tail wagging the dog now.

Plus the game makers can't complain it is too hard, OpenGL has sort of won vs DirectX, look what Valve said in 2012:

»www.extremetech.com/gami ··· -windows

It really depends on installed base of course but if the steam OS can be downloaded for free and runs on your regular PC rig dual boot they are only inches from pulling the rug out from windows gaming. Gamers are going to run whatever OS runs the big games at the fastest frame-rate, not the OS that runs microsoft office flawlessly.

For me at least, (and it is just a dream) buying a Mac Pro and installing windows on it is like pissing on the grave of Steve Jobs. Wouldn't dream of it.

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to justin

MVM

to justin
said by justin:

I had a weird dream. Involving a black round cylinder, a 4k display, and Steam OS (which is really debian).

While I may not be getting the 4k display (too rich for my blood), I did order a black round cylinder today. The native OS that runs on that small garbage can cylinder, runs many of the Steam games. I think the biggest challenge, like with any OS, are drivers. Considering the device's unique hardware, I think that will be a challenge if the manufacturer doesn't cooperate like it does with Microsoft. It would be an interesting project to try though.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to justin

Premium Member

to justin
You could probably install steam OS without too much difficulty. Far too much video card optimized for a non-gaming purpose though, which makes me think it's a waste of money. I wonder how long it would take to get thunderbolt support up and running. OSS eventually catches up, but it can take a long time. (Handbrake just recently added quick sync support, several YEARS after intel CPUs added it)

One other minor gripe--unless you have the mac pro face the wall, all of the controller inputs will be on the back side.

A better choice would be to buy a PS4, an XB1, and build your own multiple GPU gaming PC.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

Yeah it sounds like the money on the video cards is wasted for games, they should sell a config minus any video cards.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by justin:

Yeah it sounds like the money on the video cards is wasted for games, they should sell a config minus any video cards.

I believe the video cards are custom built for the Mac Pro (unified thermal core and all that...), so that isn't really an option.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

Oh actually their gaming performance while decadent is very good:

»www.tomshardware.com/rev ··· -19.html
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I'd still rather have 2x Radeon 7970s, a PS4, an XB1, and $1000 worth of games (or $1000 worth of TV)

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to mbernste

MVM

to mbernste
said by mbernste:

said by justin:

While I may not be getting the 4k display (too rich for my blood), I did order a black round cylinder today. The native OS that runs on that small garbage can cylinder, runs many of the Steam games. I think the biggest challenge, like with any OS, are drivers. Considering the device's unique hardware, I think that will be a challenge if the manufacturer doesn't cooperate like it does with Microsoft. It would be an interesting project to try though.

For what its worth I hear Dell will be releasing a 4K 27" or 28" model P2815Q ( 3840x2160) display in early 2014 for under ~$1000.

Along with some other 4K models and quasi 4K,.....

Edit:

»Dell Prepares 21:9 Cinema Display with 3440x1440 Resolution
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway to Daemon

Premium Member

to Daemon
It does seem like a strange omission for Apple to not have put even one input connector on the front of the cylindrical Mac Pro. Perhaps internal packaging constraints prevented them from doing this.
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to HiVolt

to HiVolt
The selection of games for Mac on Steam is small and dwindling as most people are buying via the App store.

SteamOS is designed to be controller driven and thus would work great as an HTPC OS.
intok

intok (banned) to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I dont think you'll be getting major game makers to jump on the Steam Machine/OS bandwagon. Why bother when you have all the exposure you need with Windows gaming and Playstation & XBox in the console world for serious gaming.

The reasons are that many game devs have been disheartened by Microsoft and realize that they can get a better return on investment from SteamOS if it gets big enough

To get it big enough all it needs is an exclusive launch title with a 3 in the title...
intok

intok (banned) to Daemon

to Daemon
said by Daemon:

I'd still rather have 2x Radeon 7970s, a PS4, an XB1, and $1000 worth of games (or $1000 worth of TV)

I'd rather spend just the $1k and get a $600 HTPC and spend the $400 on seasonal sales and bundle deals over the course of a year or 2 and always have a backlog of games to play.

Since Steam launched for Linux I've spent maybe $150 and have 120 something games on it, thats not counting DRM free games and games on Desura.
intok

intok (banned) to Daemon

to Daemon
said by Daemon:

One other minor gripe--unless you have the mac pro face the wall, all of the controller inputs will be on the back side.

Bluetooth.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to justin

MVM

to justin
I guess my way of thinking is if I was interested in Linux gaming I already would have been into it well in advance of SteamOS. That's not to say I won't try SteamOS, just that I never cared about Linux gaming with specificity and I see no reason to start now, beyond poking a stick in an experimental way at the free SteamOS.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

I know it is very early days but I saw a disappointing video that showed that while you can indeed install and run Steam OS and try some games, on the same hardware, both frame-rate and freeze issues were apparent vs the windows versions of the same games.

So on the one hand that is bad, there are clearly issues, on the other hand if they get Steam OS working correctly they will be obliged to totally clean up the linux driver issues that get in the way of glass-smooth gaming. Otherwise it will be unacceptable.