uniqs

Jaybonaut
join:2012-05-29
Sheboygan, WI

Jaybonaut to scarney

to scarney

Re: [HSI] 30mb/4mb goes to 60mb/4mb happening NOW

said by scarney:

anyone in madison, wi area see the speed upgrade yet? i noticed our tv channels have changed.

Nothing in Richland Center, WI yet.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to Windwalker

to Windwalker
said by Windwalker:

restarted modem here in Prattville, Al. and same 30/4. Unplugged router plugged straist into modem and got 61mbps. Restarted everything, plugged back to router still 30/4.

Sounds like this is not a gigabit router.

Remember only wired speed tests count, and one may still not the full 60mbps on 100 base Tx wired if their network is congested.

BinaryXtreme7
join:2013-07-04
Sparks, NV

BinaryXtreme7 to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15

Windwalker
join:2014-01-30
Prattville, AL

Windwalker to TheTechGuru

to TheTechGuru
Thanks, I'm getting the same now direct wired or through the router. I'm a happy camper.
Last Result:
Download Speed: 64.01 Mbps (8 MB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4.34 Mbps (0.54 MB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 55 ms
Jitter: 4 ms
4/21/2014 9:25:10 AM

BinaryXtreme7
Sparks, NV

BinaryXtreme7

Sweet speeds. I'm enjoying mine too. Congrats.

somemightsay
join:2005-07-16
Rockwall, TX

somemightsay to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
I've been reading this thread on and off for a while, and have noticed my speed tests have been very consistent at about 16 Mb/s down, 3 Mb/s up. I have my own SB6120, and didn't know what I would get into if I called up Charter.

Well, I broke down today and called, mentioned that I thought I might still be provisioned for 15/3. Tech support confirmed that, and asked if I wanted to get bumped to the 30 Mb/s tier for the same price. Of course I said "Yes". Entire call took less than five minutes.

This is what I saw when I got home.

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

1 edit

B4Knight

Premium Member

Congrats! May I ask what you were paying for 15/3?

Still waiting on the upgrade here in SW Michigan. My area is set to go all digital on June 17th but I doubt we'll get Charter Spectrum before September

somemightsay
join:2005-07-16
Rockwall, TX

somemightsay

That was part of the reason I called, I'd gone off of the two-year agreement ... about a year ago and was paying $54.99. So definitely should have called sooner.
marinemaster
join:2004-04-12
Suwanee, GA

marinemaster

Still 30/5 in Suwanee, 30024 anybody in the area with 60/5 yet ?

Pisgah Rider
join:2004-04-08
Inman, SC

Pisgah Rider to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
Just got bumped today. So glad Windstream & I parted ways

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Grants Pass, OR area. Check speeds for 60mb/4mb now after modem reboot. Internet was down for over 2 hours last night. They could have upgraded. I also noticed all new channels that changed.

NickG
@charter.com

NickG to marinemaster

Anon

to marinemaster
I'm in Flowery Branch and I have nothing yet...

PacketHauler
Premium Member
join:2014-04-11
Rockledge, FL

PacketHauler to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
No word on speed upgrades in MN. Still at 30/4.
sonomazr2
join:2014-04-04
Minnesota

sonomazr2

Autotune is operational in MN now. The digital conversion is scheduled for fall of 2014

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

timcuth to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
Well, I had 61 mbps at the modem as measured by the Charter installer when my service was new, three weeks ago. My son got 62 mbps over N wireless on a Macbook Pro within a day os so of getting Charter HSI.

But now, it is down to about 32 mbps. That is via ethernet at a Gbit router connected directly to the modem. Wireless throughput is also 32 mbps.

Have they purposely throttled me? I take it that I have no grounds for complaint, as they still advertise "up to 30 mbps".

Tim

chaud
Serious Business
join:2004-07-09
Huntsville, AL

chaud

said by timcuth:

But now, it is down to about 32 mbps. That is via ethernet at a Gbit router connected directly to the modem. Wireless throughput is also 32 mbps.

I ran in to something similar today. When connected directly to the modem, I get close to 60mbps. When wired in to the router, I only get ~33mbps.

To be fair, the router is somewhat old (WRT54GL + Tomato), so going to try with a newer one this weekend. Even then, I can easily copy files over the LAN at ~90mbps, only limited by one of the computers not having a gigabit port.

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

B4Knight to timcuth

Premium Member

to timcuth
If you used »speedtest.net the results can be unreliable at times. I've done tests before myself and hit 90 to 105Mbps before. PowerBoost is what causes the speed to spike briefly. Charter is not throttling your connection.

I've heard that the 60Mbps upgrade doesn't seem to show any signs of PowerBoost so I guess that's good
sonomazr2
join:2014-04-04
Minnesota

sonomazr2 to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
When I go to speedtest.charter.com I get what I am supposed to get. 30/4. But this test goes to the closest Charter peering site. It is basically a direct fiber link to Charter. Running speedof.me at the same exact time yields 21/4. This test takes me to Chicago.

stevestebo
@charter.com

stevestebo

Anon

St. Louis to upgrade to all digital on the 3rd of June. Then not far after 60mb

anhisr
join:2001-12-01
Ballwin, MO

anhisr

Is that in the city? I went over on 4-8 in the county.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

timcuth to chaud

Premium Member

to chaud
said by chaud:

To be fair, the router is somewhat old (WRT54GL + Tomato), so going to try with a newer one this weekend. Even then, I can easily copy files over the LAN at ~90mbps, only limited by one of the computers not having a gigabit port.

Well, my router is an almost new "AC" router with gigabit Ethernet ports. I assume it has a gigabit link to the WAN port, too.

But, thank you.

Tim

Windwalker
join:2014-01-30
Prattville, AL

Windwalker

I would bypass the router and test. If your still seeing the burst at the beginning I would hazard a guess it isn't at 60/4 yet. when I went 60/4 the speedboost dissapeared and it starts off and ramps right up and holds with no speed boost.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to chaud

Premium Member

to chaud
Its not some what old. It is ancient and not capable of reaching the speeds for 60mb/4mb. Time for a router upgrade.
said by chaud:

said by timcuth:

I ran in to something similar today. When connected directly to the modem, I get close to 60mbps. When wired in to the router, I only get ~33mbps.

PHOENIXZERO
join:2006-07-11
Beaverton, MI

PHOENIXZERO to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
I recently made the switch from AT&T to Charter, was pleasantly surprised that the upgrade was already in effect in my area as I expected it not take place for a couple more months due to what I was told by the CSR I spoke to.

Going from this:

To this for the same damn price is nice:

I wish I switched sooner and probably would have too if I had bothered to look up the primary issues that were keeping me from doing so.

BinaryXtreme7
Sparks, NV

BinaryXtreme7 to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
Bought my new cable modem and Charter won't provision it for me. I have to use theirs. Problem is my router speed to my XBOX One has gotten bad. Do I need to upgrade my router too? I'm on a »www.amazon.com/Cisco-Lin ··· 03BEE6ZC. My old modem was fine with this router but now speeds are great wired, just stink on wireless.

lineofsight
join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL

lineofsight

install.charter.com and do it yourself by clicking "replacing your modem" That is done after you disconnect the old one and have the new one connected, direct to the PC and wait till the PC gets a new IP from charter. It will want to know your account number and the old modem MAC address. If it isn't a DOCSIS 3 it won't work. I put my old SB6121 on the account a few weeks ago and it worked. Charter's provided modem for me is a SB6141.
owensdj
join:2001-09-05
Easley, SC

owensdj to Jaybonaut

to Jaybonaut
If a non-Charter customer is in an area that's been upgraded to "Spectrum" speed of 60mbps/4mbps, will they get 60mbps during the 12 month promotional time if they sign up now?

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy to chaud

Anon

to chaud
said by chaud:

Well Wireless G is only capable of achieve 54 Mbps under idea conditions. of those conditions never exist. But even if they did you couldn't get 60 Mbps. You're lucky to be getting 33 Mbps.

chaud
Serious Business
join:2004-07-09
Huntsville, AL

chaud

said by Mr Guy :

Well Wireless G is only capable of achieve 54 Mbps under idea conditions. of those conditions never exist. But even if they did you couldn't get 60 Mbps. You're lucky to be getting 33 Mbps.

Yeah, the ~33mbps speed test with the router is with a desktop plugged directly in to it, no wireless involved.

I have a Wireless N router that is plugged in to the WRT54GL that I use for wireless access in the house, so I am not limited by the G speeds either way.
PHOENIXZERO
join:2006-07-11
Beaverton, MI

PHOENIXZERO to owensdj

to owensdj
Yes, the 30Mbps plan is now 60Mbps in those areas. I signed up just a couple weeks ago.