to Kline3

Re: [HSI] 30mb/4mb goes to 60mb/4mb happening NOW

Still no upgrades in North Central WI

stevestebo
@24.171.62.x

stevestebo to lineofsight

Anon

to lineofsight
Asked an agent about the speed increase in my area from 30 to 100mb, this is only for St. Louis customers and it is happening on June 10th. I have confirmed the 100mb 3 times. They have been rolling these upgrades out on Tuesday I have seen so this must be true. We will see in 2 1/2 weeks. So excited.
markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo

That is from old Business lines to new speeds.
mikiee
join:2009-06-10
Saint Louis, MO

mikiee to stevestebo

to stevestebo
I'm in N.STL county and got the speed increase from 30 to 60 about 2 weeks ago. Are you saying that my connection is now going to increase to 100? If so, what in the upload speed?

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

B4Knight

Premium Member

If it is going to 100Mbps download then I would say that your upload will be 5Mbps just like it was on the old Ultra 100 tier. Don't expect an upload increase for quite some time though.

ITICharlie1
Ass Mode
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Saint Louis, MO

ITICharlie1

Premium Member

Where at in N St. Louis are you? I live just south of the airport and we do not have the increase as of yet.
chemie
join:2005-01-01
Midland, MI

chemie to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
I got the 60 but still stuck at 2 upload. (MI)
EvanA
join:2012-07-06

EvanA to Kline3

to Kline3
said by Kline3:

O'Fallon, IL upgrades seem to be occurring. No reboot or anything; noticed some downloads were faster than usual tonight and Speedtest confirms

Not seeing any increase in O'Fallon IL here.
»www.speedtest.net/androi ··· 8818.png
Kline3
join:2010-02-09
O Fallon, IL

Kline3

What part of town are you in? I'm in the NE area near EK, first hop I hit on traceroutes is dtr01blvlil-tge-0-2-1-2.blvl.il.charter.com and I've still got ~60/5. Just ran some more speedtests and tried a few large file downloads.
mikiee
Saint Louis, MO

2 edits

mikiee to ITICharlie1

to ITICharlie1
Normandy area. I wonder if the 100 speed that stevestebo mentions is for business customers only.

EvanA
join:2012-07-06

EvanA to Kline3

to Kline3
I'm in the neighborhood by Moye. First hit on the traceroute is dtr01blvlil-tge-0-2-1-0.blvl.il.charter.com
Kline3
join:2010-02-09
O Fallon, IL

Kline3

Looks like we hang off different ports on the headend and you're further out (from Belleville) than I am. I'd guess they're likely rolling it out based on distance, but who knows. Hopefully yours actives soon though!

oneoone
join:2010-01-20
North Hollywood, CA

oneoone to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
Internet went out for a hour and when it came back it was at 60megs.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to mikiee

to mikiee
My son signed up for 100Mb about a year ago at his house in Maryland Heights. We had 100Mb at our house in west county when he moved out. I was told you can get it at your home if you ask for it.

I've been having an ongoing, intermittent issue at my home and, just yesterday, asked a Charter supervisor about 60Mb service upgrades. He said, yes, it's coming but they usually get a meeting with marketing when these things get turned on and they haven't had a meeting yet so I'm not getting it this week at least.
orp
join:2010-06-17
Mount Pleasant, MI

orp to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
Here in Mount Pleasant, MI I have not seen a speed increase yet even though as I understand it we went all digital a while ago.

I just have "Charter Internet" (what it says on my bill) and their phone service, no bundle (no TV).

I'll probably stop by the office in town and ask about the 60 mbps but I'd be curious as to whether if others in central MI are getting the increase. Currently getting around 32 mbps down.
SwitchFX
join:2007-09-15
La Canada Flintridge, CA

SwitchFX to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
Saw a bunch of Charter trucks today in the area. Any idea what they could have been doing?

neofate
Caveat Depascor
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Birmingham, AL

neofate to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
I'll be honest I haven't read all 24 pages of this thread,.. but I am curious what's happening where.. and what is happening to the packages.

Seems 30 is getting pushed to 60..

100 I thought was getting a 1-2 UL bump but no DL bump.. no I see some talk of 100 going to 200Mbps? That true? Or just for like Charter HQ in St Louis?

We've had 8 Channel Bonding and 100Mbps service here in B'ham for a long time now.. but no change that I can tell on speeds .. but I am on the 100Mbps, shrug.

Anyone have any word on what the B'ham (general area).. esp. off the Leeds headend (35242 zipcode) area has coming for it? And possibly when?
SwitchFX
La Canada Flintridge, CA

1 edit

SwitchFX

said by neofate:

I'll be honest I haven't read all 24 pages of this thread,.. but I am curious what's happening where.. and what is happening to the packages.

Seems 30 is getting pushed to 60..

100 I thought was getting a 1-2 UL bump but no DL bump.. no I see some talk of 100 going to 200Mbps? That true? Or just for like Charter HQ in St Louis?

We've had 8 Channel Bonding and 100Mbps service here in B'ham for a long time now.. but no change that I can tell on speeds .. but I am on the 100Mbps, shrug.

Anyone have any word on what the B'ham (general area).. esp. off the Leeds headend (35242 zipcode) area has coming for it? And possibly when?

I imagine they'll do it like how they did ultra tier a few years back. Areas here and there while upgrading equipment to avoid issues. Of the general vicinity, only me and two other neighbors have the Ultra tier. the rest were on Charter's next highest DL speed before they unveiled 'spectrum'. I think most of them are on the grandfathered plans and have yet to end their contracts. I don't know what will happen next. i don't think many would want a downgrade in speed, lest Charter keeps allowing them to pay the old and more expensive rate.

neofate
Caveat Depascor
Premium Member
Birmingham, AL

neofate

Premium Member

I dunno. I'm fed off a head end 30+ miles away that feeds a HUGE and vastly populated area here in Birmingham, (Hoover, Pelham, Alabaster, Shelby Co, Jeff. Co.. Leeds, etc).. -- And they tend to not say a thing, not send a letter, not make an announcement .. and one evening bam it's on.

You have a good point that only a few people have the service .. It's the same here.. Most people don't pay for the $100+ internet service.. it's a ton of money and frankly 30 is fine, and 60 makes it almost silly to pay over $100 for 100/5.. But, a few people will and do.. and this , perhaps, keeps the nodes from being over saturated with "top tier" speeds eating the bandwidth.

I use my bandwidth.. I don't burn 100Mbps down 24/7.. but I buy it cause I use it.. I can use more UL much more than I can use more DL.

I talked to a Rep today randomly and they said Charter was going to push 120Mbps.. I've not heard of that.

I've heard of the 100Mbps/5 tier getting changed to 100Mbps/7 -- (sort of an insult really)..

I've heard of the 100Mbps ultra getting changed to 200Mbps (no idea what the UL is with that)... and I've heard of zero change.

But honestly.. 60/4 vs 100/5 -- It's MUCH harder to justify sticking at Ultra 100Mbps/5 when a 60/4 is going to be around.. UNLESS they make the ultra top tier considerably more attractive.

The top tier has always been a bit "excessive".. and people pay the price for that.

It'l be random across the states for sure though.

I wish Google would roll out it's Fiber to all the major cities in every state (at least the biggest city in each state for starters.. then they could build off that ) This would force Charter, Comcast, and all the MSO's to drop their prices like a rock.

Don't expect Google to do this though.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

Google needs to roll out to the SMALLER towns in southern IL first. Say those in the 25K~30K population wise .......

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

3 edits

KoRnGtL15 to neofate

Premium Member

to neofate
The main difference is like you said. 40mb/1mb and double the bandwidth cap. 500gb compared to 250gb. Not sure if its enforced in our area. But, being in a gaming household. I buy all my games digitally now on PC and my PS4. I like having a fast connection and just downloading a recent game was 48gb. So, you can eat through 250gb with no problem when it comes to gaming. Well big downloads like that. A rep. also told me about 120mb as well. Who knows what will be the increase. Someone also said 300mb on here. Whatever. I never really had a problem with the price. I mean it is a luxury and certainly not a have to. We are blessed to be able to afford it. But, at the same time. Value to price is just not there atm. Since 30mb was bumped to 60mb. That is the old Ultra tier as it is.... I would just like to see Ultra get a nice bump like Plus tier. It has to be in the works. But, Charter is really being tight lipped about it. I will be the first to admit about being a whiner on possibly canceling and moving down a tier. At the same time. Like you. I do use the speed and like the extra cushion. I also would never pay the new $200 fee to get back on the tier if I ever wanted it again. Another reason why I am holding out on this tier. Being grandfathered in and using my own modem. As it stands. I believe I am still getting a slight discount and not paying full price like others. We are paying $102.99 and I have heard it is $114.99 or higher depending on area.
SwitchFX
La Canada Flintridge, CA

4 edits

SwitchFX to neofate

to neofate
said by neofate:

I dunno. I'm fed off a head end 30+ miles away that feeds a HUGE and vastly populated area here in Birmingham, (Hoover, Pelham, Alabaster, Shelby Co, Jeff. Co.. Leeds, etc).. -- And they tend to not say a thing, not send a letter, not make an announcement .. and one evening bam it's on.

You have a good point that only a few people have the service .. It's the same here.. Most people don't pay for the $100+ internet service.. it's a ton of money and frankly 30 is fine, and 60 makes it almost silly to pay over $100 for 100/5.. But, a few people will and do.. and this , perhaps, keeps the nodes from being over saturated with "top tier" speeds eating the bandwidth.

I use my bandwidth.. I don't burn 100Mbps down 24/7.. but I buy it cause I use it.. I can use more UL much more than I can use more DL.

I talked to a Rep today randomly and they said Charter was going to push 120Mbps.. I've not heard of that.

I've heard of the 100Mbps/5 tier getting changed to 100Mbps/7 -- (sort of an insult really)..

I've heard of the 100Mbps ultra getting changed to 200Mbps (no idea what the UL is with that)... and I've heard of zero change.

But honestly.. 60/4 vs 100/5 -- It's MUCH harder to justify sticking at Ultra 100Mbps/5 when a 60/4 is going to be around.. UNLESS they make the ultra top tier considerably more attractive.

The top tier has always been a bit "excessive".. and people pay the price for that.

It'l be random across the states for sure though.

I wish Google would roll out it's Fiber to all the major cities in every state (at least the biggest city in each state for starters.. then they could build off that ) This would force Charter, Comcast, and all the MSO's to drop their prices like a rock.

Don't expect Google to do this though.

Those are some strange numbers. Speaking to corporate, I heard the California Ultra would be 200/10 or 200/15, but I didn't quite understand the upload. I've always had issues with people who have Missouri accents. That said, the doubling down on upload alone would be quite the feat.

The biggest hurdles regardless of a nationwide D3 digital rollover would be changing lines coming from a pole to houses and making sure the line quality is good. That and open more upstream channels. It's a lot of money and I don't think most ISPs will be up for it, however, with more talk of fiber this and that, then it'll happen.

Google's Fiber experiment for the most part was seen as a ploy to get other ISPs to react. And they certainly have. However, at this point, I imagine that Google wants to move ahead with the project. There is money to be made in the long run, and it's Google after all. They want to dominate the field.

I remember a friend telling me back in 2006 that Google would dominate the Internet one day, more than it was doing back then.

That said, I sub to the Ultra because I use it and need it. As I said in another thread, in our household, we use around 470-480 GB of bandwidth a month. Most of it is music, VOD and of course high res photo uploads, encrypted data transfers between us and our respective businesses, etc. Back in July I did manage to hit north of 700 GB and gave Charter a heads up as to why and to excuse it for the month as it was not a regular thing in our house. Assuming neither of us have to go into work, we'll sit back and stream HD movies onto the TV all day long. Speaking of which, you have no idea how many RomComs exist... but I digress. The last few years have been blissful. I've forgotten what it's like to click a video seeker somewhere and not have it instantly load.

To quote their words "That's fine but we don't really monitor it unless it looked erratic day to day. Even then we don't really care much unless it's far higher than that for your plan."

*shrug*

My ultra cost less than $105 because of a deal, I wouldn't mind paying $120 for 200 mbps or $150 a month for 300 mbps (preferably with 30 mbps upload) assuming the latter two came with 1 TB of bandwidth a month.

In my experience, when I get into a state of gaming, my daily D/U if all I do is game and wife does whatever she's doing, my IP to my desktop reports 500 MB of data or less. Aside from downloading packs or full game installs, all you're doing is uploading and downloading telemetry data.

stevestebo
@172.56.13.x

stevestebo to B4Knight

Anon

to B4Knight
Charter said that St. Louis only was getting the 100mb download speed, and I asked 3-4 different representatives. I will ask about the upload speed, if there is an increase, but not sure yet. But that is what they are saying. I heard that June 10th is the date that the free speed increase is supposed to hit in South County and I have heard July 8th, and also that there is no date of the free speed increase, but that the all digital should be complete by June and free speed increase a month or 2 after. We will have to see, but I was surprised about the 100mb being in only St. Louis, but I will gladly accept it if that is what is going to happen. I will let you know of any updates.
ryu4000
join:2006-11-18
Picayune, MS

ryu4000

said by stevestebo :

Charter said that St. Louis only was getting the 100mb download speed, and I asked 3-4 different representatives. I will ask about the upload speed, if there is an increase, but not sure yet. But that is what they are saying. I heard that June 10th is the date that the free speed increase is supposed to hit in South County and I have heard July 8th, and also that there is no date of the free speed increase, but that the all digital should be complete by June and free speed increase a month or 2 after. We will have to see, but I was surprised about the 100mb being in only St. Louis, but I will gladly accept it if that is what is going to happen. I will let you know of any updates.

I also heard from a lead tech there another upgrade this year min will be 100 but this is business tier i was asking about not sure if it's true.
mikiee
Saint Louis, MO

mikiee to stevestebo

to stevestebo
stevestebo, the 100mb download that you keep referring to, is that for residential or business?

B4Knight
Premium Member
Colon, MI

B4Knight to stevestebo

Premium Member

to stevestebo
Charter used to advertise their Ultra 100 tier back in 2011. They don't any more but that doesn't mean it's not available. In my market I can get it but I'm not willing to pay over $100/month for it. Ultra 100 was 100Mbps download and 5Mbps upload. On business the upload is 7Mbps on the 100Mbps tier.

I don't know where all this info you are getting is coming from but it doesn't seem accurate in the slightest

neofate
Caveat Depascor
Premium Member
Birmingham, AL

neofate

Premium Member

said by B4Knight:

Charter used to advertise their Ultra 100 tier back in 2011. They don't any more but that doesn't mean it's not available. In my market I can get it but I'm not willing to pay over $100/month for it. Ultra 100 was 100Mbps download and 5Mbps upload. On business the upload is 7Mbps on the 100Mbps tier.

I don't know where all this info you are getting is coming from but it doesn't seem accurate in the slightest

I don't know how it works now.. but it doesn't seem advertised. Further I've heard that there is some $199 fee for people who want the Ultra tier now. People who already have it are grandfathered in. Shrug. I know I'm not going to do anything to change mine due to this confusion.

I know some changes are coming to the Ultra.. but I have a feeling it will be more inline with what my intuition tells me:

The 30Mbps goes to 60/4.. And the Ultra tier will go from 100/5 to 100/7 -- That's it.

Would make more sense to push the Ultra slightly to 120/7 or similar.. but my hunch is still just a slight bump on the UL and no more DL.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
I'm still wondering why they don't bump up the upload. How difficult is it to bump it to 10mbps?

They'll double the download, but ignore the upload. Do they realize upload is just as important as download?

B4Knight
Premium Member
Colon, MI

B4Knight

Premium Member

Upstream channel bonding can be difficult to do and there are a whole host of challenges that the network operator can face trying to get it to work properly.

»volpefirm.com/upstream-c ··· bonding/

Don't expect upload increases until well after Charter Spectrum has launched in all markets and even then I wouldn't hold your breath.
B4Knight

1 edit

B4Knight to neofate

Premium Member

to neofate
Ultra 100 is still available and yes they do charge a $199 BS install fee. If you have an 8x4 modem with good signal levels then there is no reason to charge said fee. All it takes to switch speed tiers and this goes for all cable ISP's is to push a new configuration file to the customers modem. To me it's just a money grab and nothing more.

Since Charter has made no official announcement regarding changes to their grandfathered Ultra 100 tier we can basically assume that everything said so far is just speculation.