spc
Search similar:

uniqs
afslav
join:2013-12-19
Chicago, IL

2 edits

afslav

[Speed] Almost constant packetloss to Chi colo, Google, etc.

Hello,

Encoded Mac: 5d3c2586a219a32eee29eac87ab55a703d071c1c

I recently moved to Chicago, and got RCN through my building. Ever since I moved in, I've had fluctuating (but consistently there) packetloss to a game server that is colocated about 15 miles away (colocrossing). I am actually unable to play on the server because of it.

This was not at all an issue with my previous ISP, and many other people are able to connect without significant/any packet loss. This packetloss also persists for me whether or not the server is empty.

According to the RCN speedtest, my speeds and signal levels are okay. However, ping -t shows ~3% packetloss to the server, and teamspeak shows 5% inbound packetloss and 0.5% outbound packetloss. This is quite variable, and 5% seems to be the peak, but it usually is around 0.25%-0.5%, and outbound packetloss seems to be more prevalent (although not in this instance).

Google has roughly ~1% packetloss, and various other servers also have appreciable packetloss. I've also run ping -t on various servers at the same time, and they almost always time out on a ping simultaneously.

As I've written this post, packetloss as measured by teamspeak has gone from 0.5% to 5% and back down to 0.4%. It's highly variable, but almost always there.

Please let me know if there's any other information I can provide, and thanks for any help you can provide.

-afs
afslav

1 recommendation

afslav

After reading stuff here and elsewhere, I just got a DOCSIS 3 modem, and the issues seem to be resolved. Chalk it up to DOCSIS 2 I guess.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

said by afslav:

After reading stuff here and elsewhere, I just got a DOCSIS 3 modem, and the issues seem to be resolved. Chalk it up to DOCSIS 2 I guess.

It's really come much more into play these days...

Glad to hear it was an easy solve