how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lleader

join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON

[DSL] SmartRG - semi-minor problem...

Received my purchased SmartRG today. Since it's supposed to be a Christmas present from my wife she wanted to wrap it... but I digress. Anyway, I was surprised to see my TekSavvy userid and password already entered... oops, digressing again.

Original problem: DSL light would not go solid. Even with nothing plugged in but power and DSL cable. Ten seconds of fast flashes followed by 40 seconds of slower flashes, repeated. Tried resetting with pin in back. Waited for power led to go red, powered off modem while red led still on. When powered back on nothing had changed - ie. didn't appear to have reset. Still had my userid/password and DSL light still would not lock on. Resolved this problem by resetting the modem using using it's GUI 'restore default settings'. DSL now locks on.

But here's my real problem (finally!). I no longer have the TekSavvy basic GUI stuff - only the advanced stuff. It took me a while but I got the modem up and running now. But I would like the TekSavvy basic GUI back. Any suggestions?

RizzleQ

join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit

It sounds like it may be a bad batch of SmartRG modems are losing TekSavvy customization like that once factory reset or maybe once a factory reset is done in a certain way other than normal. Can you post some screenshots of what it does look like now?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:19
reply to lleader

Maybe there is a "display basic options" flag in the configuration that gets cleared on factory reset?

Factory reseting using the button on the back is a pain for sure. Somebody has posted the exact procedure. If I remember where I'll link it up
--
electronicsguru.ca

lleader

Mississauga, ON
reply to RizzleQ

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by RizzleQ:

Can you post some screenshots of what it does look like now?

Initial screen and then what I get when I click on 'manage gateway'.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to lleader

I had the exact same problem. Just got my modem from TSI. Plugged it in, wouldn't sync. Waited ages, no sync. Went into the settings and did a factory reset, which got rid of the TSI UI, and then it was able to sync.

Conclusion is that the stock TekSavvy configuration is broken and can't sync
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

lleader

Mississauga, ON

Thanks for this post, Guspaz. Now I don't feel that it was me screwing something up.

Are you on a Stinger? I am. Maybe the TekSavvy configuration defeats the special Stinger code.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24

Can you PM me your email and if you are wanting to setup the modem in bridged or routed. I can send you the new config.

keltron

join:2012-12-26
North York, ON

Im picking up the modem tomorrow. Can you please send me the config as well. I just PM'ed you my email address.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to lleader

Yeah, I'm on a stinger. Reports are that the shipping TekSavvy firmware has the stinger support option disabled.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

Only a few modems had that issue. New ones being shipped have been addressed.

If you PM me your email, I can email you the config files

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

Reports are that the shipping TekSavvy firmware has the stinger support option disabled.

That's hilarious.
Is that an option a user has access to, or is that some mysterious magical option that only the issuing ISP can manipulate?

Mike
--
I've picked on Cogeco long enough. Who's next? Any volunteers?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to lleader

Per Andre, only a few were affected, and I was unlucky.

I believe it's an internal config setting, so I think that if you have a copy of the config file, you can edit it and re-apply it. I'm not sure if you can export the config file though.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

You can export the config file, but the one I emailed him has the changes that should fix the issue )

keltron

North York, ON
reply to lleader

Ok. Got mine today. Need this working on bridged. It's not sync'ing out box.

Just called support - they are clueless. A shame I have to come here for get this working.

As I understand - these are the steps:

If not syncing out of box:

1) Go to GUI, reset to factory defaults to get sync
2) upload bridge mode config file from Andre to get Teksavvy GUI back

thats it?

Please advise my friends.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

Yep. Once again, this is only a handful of customers.

keltron

North York, ON

K - will try it out now and come back here if I have probs.

thx andre for this morning.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Click for full size
Make sure to update both the Running settings as well as the Default settings.

That way if you have to reset it to default at some point, it will have the proper TSI interface and settings.
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

said by Guspaz:

Reports are that the shipping TekSavvy firmware has the stinger support option disabled.

That's hilarious.
Is that an option a user has access to, or is that some mysterious magical option that only the issuing ISP can manipulate?

Mike

No, it's not... the config file is a plain text XML that you can both export and import.

This is the entry that was missing.

<X_SMARTRG_COM_StingerMode>TRUE</X_SMARTRG_COM_StingerMode>

--

keltron

North York, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Make sure to update both the Running settings as well as the Default settings.

That way if you have to reset it to default at some point, it will have the proper TSI interface and settings.

I'm online. Thx Guys.

Hivolt - upload to both using the same file?

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

yeah same file.
--

keltron

North York, ON
reply to lleader

Thanks HiVolt.

For those are are interested in the modem difference - here's a before and after between the Sagemcom and the SmartRG, no tweaking.

The higher one is the SmartRG

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Assuming you have 50/10, you're not syncing at full speed, but good for you that the SmartRG is able to attain a much higher sync rate it seems.

Can you post your line stats from the main page? just curious of the numbers.
--

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
reply to HiVolt

Excellent info. Thanks dude.

Mike

keltron

North York, ON
reply to HiVolt

You are right - I am not syncing at full speed. Line quality isn't that great and the Bell Tech put me on a the 50 profile just so I can get a decent upload speed (i should be on the 25 profile).

The sync rate should be the same before and after. The difference should be a matter of the modem limiting my speed through bridge, minus some overhead.

Last State Change: 12/15 02:35:41 (Uptime: 21360)
Line Profile: V53952-26944_11328-2048_66211
DLM State: DISABLED | Equip. Type: OSLAM
Sync Rate: d53944.0/u7488.0 kbps
RCO: d89.0/u99.0%
Noise Margin: d9.0/u5.0 dB
Power: d14.0/u-20.0 dB
Attenuation: d9.0/u10.0 dB (Approx. Distance: 0.65~1.06km)
Block Count: d526749.0/u265755.0

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

Hmm, the attenuation is low enough where you should get better speeds than that... has the second tech installed the pots splitter and is the modem hooked up to the non filtered side?
--

TSI ShawnS
Premium
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON
kudos:3
reply to keltron

Hello Keltron,

Thank your for posting your line stats.

According to those stats, The noise margin on the upload side is too low. This may be caused by a few things. We would need to troubleshoot partial sync.

I've replied to your post on the Direct thread.

Thank you
TSI Shawn S
--
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

keltron

North York, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Hmm, the attenuation is low enough where you should get better speeds than that... has the second tech installed the pots splitter and is the modem hooked up to the non filtered side?

HiVolt - I'm actually running with no POT splitters at all. I had it before but the tech took them off, saying that may have been why i was getting ~5-6Mbit upload. Perhaps I should be putting them back on?

Shawn - thanks for being proactive on the support. I'll reply to you in Direct Forums.

TSI ShawnS
Premium
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON
kudos:3

You're welcome!

You are on a dry loop, POTS splitter shouldn't make a difference. Are there any other devices connected to the jacks in the house?

TSI Shawn S

keltron

North York, ON

Uhhh - just checked. there's filters on all jacks in the suite.

Should I take em off?

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

Yeah, remove them all just to be safe. and any other devices that you might have left plugged in.

then resync the modem.
--