uniqs

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

Cogeco_Aaron to Kronos9326

Premium Member

to Kronos9326

Re: Ultimate - New Speeds and Increased Data Cap

The upgrade was on download only. Also, as far as I'm aware, all applicable customers have been upgraded now. If you're in a qualified area and haven't received it, contact Technical Support.

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

2 edits

coaxguy to doonsy

to doonsy

St Catharines, Secord Woods.

If youre using wifi, youre going to need near perfect conditions with no wifi radio congestion. That or upgrade your router and wifi adapters to AC protocol. I seem to only get 100mbit max on wifi. 125 wired.

Edit: this is wireless

I am running a ASUS RT N66U router with a N nic card in the desktop PC thats resulting in this.

NOT COGECOS ISSUE WHATSOEVER, my ssid sniffer shows at least 13 routers in the area all on various channels. So its unavoidable I suppose. Time to fish a cat6 from the router in the basement upstairs to the office I suppose.

Basement PC hardwired has been rock solid 125-127 /10
MysticGuitar
join:2012-04-12
Waterdown, ON

MysticGuitar to doonsy

to doonsy
I got upgraded, though considering the massive congestion, I've yet to see anything above 100 Mbps. (Highest so far was 93 and average is 80)

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by MysticGuitar:

I got upgraded, though considering the massive congestion, I've yet to see anything above 100 Mbps. (Highest so far was 93 and average is 80)

Is this through a router or plugged in directly? I had to upgrade my router to get past 93 Mbps.
profets
join:2010-01-14

1 edit

profets to doonsy

to doonsy
Guys, is this effective for business ultimate 60 customers as well?

Nevermind, I can see it on their site it shows 120 for business as well. Still on 60 here, but just noticed the modem is Cisco DPC3000 (4 down channels only).

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

coaxguy

profets you need the 3008 (8 channels) to get 120. Where abouts is your business located
profets
join:2010-01-14

profets

Thanks, figured as much. I was pretty disappointed when I went to see the modem and it was the 3000. It's an office in Stoney creek, service was just installed 7 months ago.

NorthernCrow
join:2014-01-22
Canada

NorthernCrow to doonsy

to doonsy
Thanks to Cogeco_Aaron, I got off the phone with Cogeco business support earlier and within 5 minutes my modem rebooted and I went from 16 mbps / 2 mbps service to 28 / 10. So happy right now, no more overages!!!
bubbabyte
join:2011-10-05

bubbabyte to coaxguy

to coaxguy
I"m in the same boat, but on wireless i can't get above 65mb/s and that's with my laptop right next to my router. On my ipad or iphone i'm getting about 40mb/s. I have a D link 826L, can anyone recommend any settings to change or anything i can do to improve this at all?
MysticGuitar
Waterdown, ON

MysticGuitar to urbanriot

to urbanriot

Wired, both router and modem share the same result.

I've already been informed of network congestion for my area, and having these new speeds is unlikely to fix anything. Though, aside from a few drops to below 70 Mbps during non-peak hours, the speed seems to be averaging 93 Mbps. I have a gigabit network adapter, so it shouldn't be my hardware being unable to keep up, nor is it the modem / router. This just seems to be normal Cogeco congestion.

My last two speed tests (direct modem)

I just hope that come August, everything will be restored and normalized.
tootalltim
join:2010-05-19

tootalltim to doonsy

to doonsy
HI, was wondering if anyone can help me out that has some knowledge and experience with routers or Cogeco's Wireless Modem. I'm pretty noob with this stuff so bare with me.

I recently was upgraded to the 120Mbps plan and I also get Cogeco's phone service aswell. Here is my problem, I'm on Cogeco's Arris TM822 modem which connects to my router. So, using the cheap router I have. I cannot get the full 120MB. I get about 70-75ish. But, when I connect directly to the Cogeco modem all is fine with 125Mbps.
(My current router: TP-Link 54M Wireless Router, Model:TL-WR340G)

So my questions are: 1) Does anyone know with the Cogeco Wireless Modem if I can control the speed of the wireless connection. Like my router I have 2 options, 11Mbps and 54Mbps. I like to have my wireless network not eat up most of my connection.

2) Would I be better off buying a new wireless modem? My Budget I can afford something in the 40-60 dollar range. Would that price range be able to get me a decent router? I'm really not sure what I should be looking for in a router.

Thanks for any info on the matter. I'm just trying to get some feedback before jumping the gun getting the Wireless Modem from Cogeco since I'm not sure if they charge for an installation or not and If they do I think I'd rather just buy a new router.

Thanks again for any advice,

Tim.

DigitalXeron
There is a lack of sanity
join:2003-12-17
Hamilton, ON

DigitalXeron

said by tootalltim:

HI, was wondering if anyone can help me out that has some knowledge and experience with routers or Cogeco's Wireless Modem. I'm pretty noob with this stuff so bare with me.

I recently was upgraded to the 120Mbps plan and I also get Cogeco's phone service aswell. Here is my problem, I'm on Cogeco's Arris TM822 modem which connects to my router. So, using the cheap router I have. I cannot get the full 120MB. I get about 70-75ish. But, when I connect directly to the Cogeco modem all is fine with 125Mbps.
(My current router: TP-Link 54M Wireless Router, Model:TL-WR340G)

So my questions are: 1) Does anyone know with the Cogeco Wireless Modem if I can control the speed of the wireless connection. Like my router I have 2 options, 11Mbps and 54Mbps. I like to have my wireless network not eat up most of my connection.

2) Would I be better off buying a new wireless modem? My Budget I can afford something in the 40-60 dollar range. Would that price range be able to get me a decent router? I'm really not sure what I should be looking for in a router.

Thanks for any info on the matter. I'm just trying to get some feedback before jumping the gun getting the Wireless Modem from Cogeco since I'm not sure if they charge for an installation or not and If they do I think I'd rather just buy a new router.

Thanks again for any advice,

Tim.

Hi,

Doing a quick check of the specs of your TL-WR340G unit ( »www.tp-link.com/ca/produ ··· 40G#spec ) It has a limitation of 100 Mbit on the network ports, this combined with the fact many 100 Mbit routers have woefully limited CPUs this can result in the 70-80 Mbit speeds you see. So in order to obtain the full speeds, you would need to upgrade to a 1 Gbit unit with Gigabit WAN and LAN ports (be sure you check it's both, some only have gigabit on the LAN with 100 Mbit on the WAN).

Also may be something to look at is seeking wireless N which has increased speeds wirelessly compared to the B and G which your existing unit has.

Your best bet would be to purchase a router with gigabit and wireless N, which given your price point there are units available on the market.
Marcer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON

Marcer to tootalltim

Premium Member

to tootalltim
said by tootalltim:

1) Does anyone know with the Cogeco Wireless Modem if I can control the speed of the wireless connection. Like my router I have 2 options, 11Mbps and 54Mbps. I like to have my wireless network not eat up most of my connection.
Tim.

Hi Tim, Xeron covered off Question #2 quite clearly.

Regarding Question 1, yes the units are fully configurable (outside of WPS not being available) You can modify the wireless configuration between mixed modes (B, G & N) or limit it to specifically G mode (54 Mbps) or B mode (11Mbps).
tootalltim
join:2010-05-19

tootalltim to doonsy

to doonsy
I want to thank you both(DigitalXeron&Marcer) for the information you guys have provided. I have a better understanding how routers work now and thanks for that. Hope you all have a great day.
pkadare
join:2010-12-06
Burlington, ON

pkadare to MysticGuitar

to MysticGuitar
said by MysticGuitar:

Wired, both router and modem share the same result.

I've already been informed of network congestion for my area, and having these new speeds is unlikely to fix anything. Though, aside from a few drops to below 70 Mbps during non-peak hours, the speed seems to be averaging 93 Mbps. I have a gigabit network adapter, so it shouldn't be my hardware being unable to keep up, nor is it the modem / router. This just seems to be normal Cogeco congestion.

My last two speed tests (direct modem)

DOCSIS 3 is much less likely to have congestion issues than previous versions of the standard.

Just because you have a 1 GB network adapter doesn't mean that it is configured to connect at 1 GB.

If you're running a version of Windows, open Device Manager, find your network adapter, open Properties and see if you've got an Advanced tab. If so, on that tab, have a look for something that refers to Speed and/or Duplex. It is likely set to Auto. Try forcing it to 1 Gbs full duplex and then run your test again. The fact that you seem to be averaging a fairly consistent 93 Mbs would indicate that the NIC is actually operating at 100 Mbs regardless of what it is rated for.
MysticGuitar
Waterdown, ON

MysticGuitar

The Link Speed & Duplex has a value of 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex, and the speed test results remain the same. (though it now sits at about 94 Mbps)
Back to back tests.

While I still believe this is just a congestion issue on Cogeco's end, I'm open to further troubleshooting. However, I'm fairly confident that my local hardware is not at fault.

For reference.

Modem: ARRIS TM822
Router: D-Link DGL-4500
NIC (main PC): Intel 82567LF-2

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by MysticGuitar:

However, I'm fairly confident that my local hardware is not at fault.

You should definitely eliminate the DGL-4500 as the problem by connecting direct to modem. A friend of mine has one and reported he wasn't getting full speed, and when he went on the d-link forums to investigate, he found he wasn't alone.

Mike

doonsy
join:2002-03-15

doonsy to MysticGuitar

to MysticGuitar
Just out of curiosity, what is the WAN port speed set at on your router? I understand the DGL-4500 has a gigabit capable WAN port, I wonder if it's set at 100Mbps?
Chong6969
join:2008-02-20
Port Colborne, ON

Chong6969

said by doonsy:

Just out of curiosity, what is the WAN port speed set at on your router? I understand the DGL-4500 has a gigabit capable WAN port, I wonder if it's set at 100Mbps?

In the manual it says 10 or 100mbps for wan port
»www.dlink.com/-/media/Co ··· N_US.pdf
Page 52

If it was a gigabit Wan Port u think it would be in the manual , it clearly shows gigabit Lan ports but says nothing about Wan port speed shown in the manual page 5
MysticGuitar
Waterdown, ON

MysticGuitar to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
As previously stated, I've run a speed test on both the router and the modem, and get the same result.

Also, the WAN port speed is set to 1000 Mbps.

Chong6969, it's rather unusual that the manual doesn't include 1000 Mbps as an available WAN option.
However, the actual interface itself includes 10/100/1000, and allows you to select each speed individually, or to simply have it set as auto. I currently have it set to 1000 Mbps.
pkadare
join:2010-12-06
Burlington, ON

pkadare

said by MysticGuitar:

As previously stated, I've run a speed test on both the router and the modem, and get the same result.

Also, the WAN port speed is set to 1000 Mbps.

Chong6969, it's rather unusual that the manual doesn't include 1000 Mbps as an available WAN option.
However, the actual interface itself includes 10/100/1000, and allows you to select each speed individually, or to simply have it set as auto. I currently have it set to 1000 Mbps.

What about the cable you're using? Is it CAT5, CAT5E or greater? Gigabit ethernet should be able to use a CAT5 cable even though the specs call for CAT5E or above, however, there are some cheap CAT5 cables out there that only actually have 2 of the 4 twisted pairs connected. In order to achieve 1 Gb/s over CAT5, all 4 twisted pairs need to be connected. Something to look into.
MysticGuitar
Waterdown, ON

MysticGuitar

I believe this may be the problem, as I'm fairly certain I am using CAT5 cables. (haven't had the need to upgrade, and the cables are from 2005 - 2012)

I'll see about buying a CAT5e or CAT6 cable later this week, and will report back.

doonsy

doonsy

Hopefully that is your problem, good luck.
Ink
join:2013-08-06
St Catharines, ON

Ink to doonsy

to doonsy

Just upgraded today. Awesome. - St. Catharines
cavan
Premium Member
join:2003-09-08
Cobourg, ON

3 edits

cavan to doonsy

Premium Member

to doonsy
I haven't posted a speedtest on my Business Ultimate 60 service for a while and I haven't heard back from Cogeco but I'm still getting single digit results:

JasonHockey
@cgocable.net

JasonHockey

Anon

What good is 120Mbit when we still have no unlimited option? rather stay at 30 and get unlimited with techsavvy or something since they are now in the area. Hope cogeco gives an option sometime soon, cause i would rather not switch...but not giving much of a reason to stay paying so much in overage charges.
MatchstiK3
join:2008-06-04
Oakville, ON

MatchstiK3 to doonsy

to doonsy
I was all excited to upgrade my Ultimate 60 to Ultimate 120, but found out that if I upgrade, I'll lose my existing promotion, and it will cost me a substantial amount more per month.

Does anyone know if I could replace my current 4 stream modem with an 8 stream all on my own without letting Cogeco know and still receive the speed upgrade?

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Isn't this upgrade automated? as in... your 60 becomes 120 and you don't do anything. I certainly didn't do anything with my package so I don't know why you'd lose your promotion.

As for the modem why not just call in and ask if you can go to your local mall to swap your modem for an 8 channel modem?

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

Cogeco_Aaron to MatchstiK3

Premium Member

to MatchstiK3
Yeah, as far as I'm aware, what urbanriot said is right and if you're in a qualifying area, your speed should increase automatically.

edit: As long as you have the correct modem.

doonsy

doonsy to urbanriot

to urbanriot
Nailed it.