All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

GAComcastUsr
@50.20.4.x

GAComcastUsr

Anon

[Rant] For those in GA hit by data caps: Be sure to file a complaint!

»consumer.ga.gov/consumer ··· omplaint

Be sure to file a complaint explaining that these new data caps are anti-consumer and are misleading and unfair to consumers, especially since they are violating net neutrality. I just filed mine today. Let's get heard about this.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

Good luck with that endeavor!
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish to GAComcastUsr

to GAComcastUsr
Yeah, really. The data caps, as unfair as they may be to those currently in an enforced area, are clearly written in the user agreement.

bigjohn
join:2005-05-26
Woodstock, GA

bigjohn to GAComcastUsr

to GAComcastUsr
The caps may be "documented", but if they are arbitrarily and unfairly enforced (comcast does not count xfinity-on demand, etc.) then they're wrong. And, if they charge 10$ for 50gb but you don't get your 50gb, they're wrong...

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC to GAComcastUsr

Premium Member

to GAComcastUsr
Interesting, since by IP you don't appear to be a Comcast user.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to GAComcastUsr

Premium Member

to GAComcastUsr
said by GAComcastUsr :

....especially since they are violating net neutrality.

You sure that's illegal in Georgia?

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN

fonzbear2000 to GAComcastUsr

Premium Member

to GAComcastUsr
The data caps aren't that big of a deal since the limit is 300GB. Almost no users will even come close to hitting that amount.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

And those who do will get BCI

GAComcastUsr
@50.20.4.x

GAComcastUsr to WoofieInPC

Anon

to WoofieInPC
I sure am in Georgia (Fulton County).. I am posting from my work ISP. Is this not okay?

I never said net neutrality was law in Georgia, I said this is an unfair practice (which is exactly what they state that they are looking for on the complaints site). Their own services are not counted against this cap which is why I feel this is anti-consumer, especially since they are the only ISP around unless you go with dialup or DSL. Even U-Verse is not available my area.

Even though this may not do anything.. at least I can say I tried something, rather than trashing someone who is posting about it. Thanks, though.
GAComcastUsr

GAComcastUsr to fonzbear2000

Anon

to fonzbear2000
Last month I hit 360gb. I have a family member who works at home and is constantly online. Add two PCs, Netflix, Hulu, a Roku and a few tablets and you can easily hit your 300gb limit.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt

Premium Member

said by GAComcastUsr :

I have a family member who works at home and is constantly online.

Part of the cost of doing business, ie.e a Job related expense, which should either be paid by the employer, or allowed for in the compensation.
Possibly a tax deductible item if properly documented and segregated from other broadband use.
said by GAComcastUsr :

Add two PCs, Netflix, Hulu, a Roku and a few tablets and you can easily hit your 300gb limit.

The overage is part of the recreational expense of using those devices, sort of like putting gas in your swamp buggy.

GAComcastUsr
@comcast.net

GAComcastUsr

Anon

The problem with your analogy is that I know what part is recreational and what is not recreational. Please show me where I can fill up on "Internet Bandwidth" so I can separate work Internet from recreational Internet.

Am I the only one not happy about this?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Two accounts: a business account that has no cap & a residential account that has a cap.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to GAComcastUsr

Premium Member

to GAComcastUsr
I'm sure lots of other people are/will be unhappy.
and I'm never sure why people believe (or want to believe) that BROADBAND, MUST be sold as "all you can eat" when NO other product or service is FORCED to meet that requirement.
they are selling you base service +300GB of throughput on your residential account. overages are extra, is this somehow unclear?
if your business use is too high, get a business account.

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN

fonzbear2000 to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
What's BCI?

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Business Class Internet®
FactChecker
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03

FactChecker to GAComcastUsr

Premium Member

to GAComcastUsr
said by GAComcastUsr :

»consumer.ga.gov/consumer ··· omplaint

Be sure to file a complaint explaining that these new data caps are anti-consumer and are misleading and unfair to consumers, especially since they are violating net neutrality. I just filed mine today. Let's get heard about this.

That's a big stretch. As far as "violating net neutrality", you need to get your facts straight as according to the FCC order

The framework we adopt today does not prevent broadband providers from asking subscribers who use the network less to pay less, and subscribers who use the network more to pay more.

No one likes usage in general, but on the positive side the tiers are high and well beyond the average consumer (higher than 9X% of subscribers). You want to complain about a real limit, talk to the cellular guys about those tiers...

The other thing people don't like is being in the 99% and paying for the costs of the 1%, which usage measurement does help with...
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby

If you're going to argue that 99% are paying for the 1% then the 99% should get reduced internet costs at the same time the 1% get higher costs. It should even out. Instead the 99% get stuck with the same rate, and the 1% get higher rates. Invalidates your argument.
FactChecker
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03

1 edit

FactChecker

Premium Member

I'm saying I don't want to pay a higher rate to subsidize the growth of the 1% multi-TB video library filesharing.
54761437 (banned)
join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned) to GAComcastUsr

to GAComcastUsr
If what the ISPs say is true and only a slim minority of users are consuming large amounts of bandwidth then how does that really affect their network capacity? Sure, if 50% of the userbase were to fall into the "excessive" category (which is defined per ISP so we only ever have a vague idea of what constitutes excessive use), then I could see it. But as it stands now the "excessive" user is the exception, not the rule...so what's the big effin' deal?
LocutusBorg
Premium Member
join:2005-12-25
Revere, MA

LocutusBorg to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
said by fonzbear2000:

The data caps aren't that big of a deal since the limit is 300GB. Almost no users will even come close to hitting that amount.

please. My family and i regularly hit 2tb a month. and thats going easy

mb6
join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
Netgear CM1150V
Netgear R7800

1 edit

mb6 to 54761437

to 54761437
said by 54761437:

If what the ISPs say is true and only a slim minority of users are consuming large amounts of bandwidth then how does that really affect their network capacity? Sure, if 50% of the userbase were to fall into the "excessive" category (which is defined per ISP so we only ever have a vague idea of what constitutes excessive use), then I could see it. But as it stands now the "excessive" user is the exception, not the rule...so what's the big effin' deal?

The caps are being put into place to counter the effect of competition to cable tv from other video providers. Nothing at all to do with excessive use by a minority of subscribers... The argument that 300 gigs is plenty won't hold water for long as non-cable video providers proliferate...

I say file your complaints as instituting this practice could easily be portrayed as violation of antitrust laws (if they even exist anymore, most have been diluted by politicians that have been bought and paid for by big business years ago.)

Capitalism has run Amok!
FirebirdTN
join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN

FirebirdTN to tshirt

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

..I'm never sure why people believe (or want to believe) that BROADBAND, MUST be sold as "all you can eat" when NO other product or service is FORCED to meet that requirement...

A very valid point. I think that most people do NOT like change (me included). For me anyway, the thing that bothers me most about the caps is I have been online for 17 years. In all that time I believe it was in fact sold as an "all you can eat" buffet. It was only within the last few years that I seem to recall being under some type of cap. [I've only been a Comcast customer for a little over a year.]

-Alan

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

Thats how I remember it also. Ive had cable internet since 1994 through Adelphia (now Comcast). Never had caps until 2009-2010.
All you can eat, and it was at a great price back then too. Those days are all over.
Heck back then you moved to cable TV to avoid commercials. That was the selling point in those times (along with unlimited data)...and we all know that also slid thru the cracks.

I will add these caps have never interfered with me so far. I had the 250gb cap, then it was removed...and I'm waiting for the 300gb cap to hit this area.
I have been contemplating ditching the TV part of my package and just keep internet. So a lot of streaming would be happening to quench my thirst for entertainment, and 300gb doesn't sound like enough to me...guess time will tell.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to GAComcastUsr

Premium Member

to GAComcastUsr
Yup, originally consumption was curtailed by network speed and so ACCESS was sold by the hour of connection to a port (usually dialup)
AND then AOL opened a massive all you can eat with more ports (but still couldn't meet demand) This model was so successful emerging DSL and cable networks embraced it and because AOL couldn't force incumbents to share they became a portal with access as a secondary goal.
DSL is still very speed limited so the UNLIMITED access model still works for now.
however cable (and fiber) upgrades for REALLY high speeds are REALLY expensive, so the model changes again.

The people clamoring for change, and pushing cord cutting are just accelerating the transition to higher HSI charges and the CATV side becoming secondary to paying the costs (including investor returns) of the network.
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan to tshirt

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

and I'm never sure why people believe (or want to believe) that BROADBAND, MUST be sold as "all you can eat" when NO other product or service is FORCED to meet that requirement.

Seriously? Sprint has had unlimited talk/text/data plans for years. Yeah they aren't forced, they did it to compete.

And this is really the issue - the problem here is that in most areas people don't have options when these caps are imposed. It's not like you can pick from a variety of ISPs like you can pretty much everywhere else in the civilized world. Unfortunately for us, the government blew it a long time ago and lobbyist money ensures that the oligopolies continue to exist.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by GTFan:

Seriously? Sprint has had unlimited talk/text/data plans for years. Yeah they aren't forced, they did it to compete.

Sprint only did that to entice people to use their lousy networks. If they didn't, they wouldn't have any subscribers.

You said it yourself....to compete for market share, which they barely have.
crk2h
join:2003-03-19
Murfreesboro, TN

crk2h to GAComcastUsr

to GAComcastUsr
I don't necessarily like the caps but the 300GB is actually not terrible. Although I think they should offer a non capped package for a premium price that is not an Business account which requires a 3 year commitment. I am fortunate to have a local municipality that went with A fiber network to compete with Charter for our town so it is non profit. So no caps for me. I have a 60/30 package for $59.95 which was only 15/5 a few years back. Speeds have gone up up prices have not.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

A few years back I couldn't understand how anyone could come near the cap of 250gig. At that time I was using no more than 10 to 15gig.
Then came a smart TV, Netflix, tablets, smart phone, Grandkids with laptops, slingbox and Xbox. I can see with a larger family with a lot of gadgets that it wouldn't be hard to reach 300gig... Last month mine use was 162gig and the Grandkids were only here 2 nights a week.
Once the caps are enforced in my area, I will have to start watching my use which I never thought I would have to do 5 years ago.
I have no choice as Comcast is the only kid on the block for internet. I have had excellent service from them for many years, but TV is a different story. Hello Dish next May.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

hey i learned mighty quick how fast 4 cord-cutted roomates can chew up 300GB... our monthly avg. is ~1-1.5TB.

at least business class is an option, even if it's insanely overpriced for what it is (same backend as residential, just no cap & 24hr phone support). and AT&T said the maximum speed we could get, due to our distance from the central office, is 7mbps down