spc
Search similar:

uniqs

AnonymousMIU
@wideopenwest.com

AnonymousMIU

Anon

Would increasing my internet speed tier increase the quality/connections of:

Of online gaming? I have constant bad connections/lag/slow speed to other players on xbox live and PC. Is this going to fix it? WOW technicians and customer service say yes.
RemyL75
join:2001-06-07
Chicago, IL

RemyL75

What is your current speed now??

AnonymousMIU
@wideopenwest.com

AnonymousMIU

Anon

15/1 and it seems to be awful for game playing. I have tried everything. Steady 110 ping in pc games (should be 80 ish) and awful slow speeds on xbox live.
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH

Body Count to AnonymousMIU

to AnonymousMIU
What's your ping say here?

»speedtest.wowway.com/

Could be the game server with issues.

And 110 ping isn't that bad honestly.
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

adam1991 to AnonymousMIU

to AnonymousMIU
Do a smokeping from here over the course of several days and see what you get.
Body Count
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

to AnonymousMIU
Also do you have ultraTV? Do you have your own router attached? what model cable modem (if you don't have ultraTV)?

There are numerous things to test before throwing more bandwidth at your problem. More bandwidth should be the last thing you do .. even after having another tech come out and test your lines.
RemyL75
join:2001-06-07
Chicago, IL

RemyL75

BodyCount is correct. Do not upgrade your speed unless you just really want to. That will not resolve the issue. I used to have 15/1 and then 15/2 and I never had issues with gaming lag. Look at your router and/or modem first.

AnonymousMIU
@wideopenwest.com

AnonymousMIU

Anon

I have tried everything. I mean everything. 5 techs have been out. This is the last thing we are trying. Then it's comcast we go. It's not our end. Routers modems Ethernet cables router settings network on pc settings etc etc etc. enough is enough I have also reset the modem and router numerous times, called many times. It could just be the service as far as internet goes isn't good in my area. I have done many speed tests/ping tests as well. This has been ongoing so it's not a game server issue. If someone names something, chances are I have tried it.
Body Count
Columbus, OH

to AnonymousMIU
You never posted what your ping was with the speedtest link I posted above.

AnonymousMIU
@wideopenwest.com

AnonymousMIU

Anon

15.56 down, 0.92 up, 49ms ping. I know it's normal but not for playing anything online. Everything says differently. 120 ping is kinda high when you are playing a game online. Not sure if you play games but it should be around 80. That and crappy connections to everybody basically i'm experiencing as well.
Body Count
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count

My guess is it's the server you're playing on with the issues. My ping is 55ms using the above speedtest and I have no issues with the online games that I play. Your connection is fine to the WOW network. The issue is after it leaves the WOW network.
curdahee
join:2013-12-04

curdahee to AnonymousMIU

to AnonymousMIU
Choose a less busy server or a server closer to you. Also if you're using the internet for anything else, it can drive up your latencies.

AnonymousMIU
@wideopenwest.com

AnonymousMIU

Anon

Well it's not the server of the game I can say that much. And no one uses the internet heavily. So those both aren't the issue at all. We will see what wow can do when they come out to upgrade today.
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

adam1991 to AnonymousMIU

to AnonymousMIU
said by AnonymousMIU :

I have tried everything. I mean everything. 5 techs have been out. This is the last thing we are trying.

A few years ago my upload speed, should have been 2, was 0.2. This went on for a few months, with techs out all the time. It happened on their laptops, so it wasn't my setup. So they replaced everything--cable modem (twice), splitter, cable ends, cables, etc. Finally one guy made a 300 foot cable to go directly from the tap and into my basement to the cable modem. Nada. Still a problem. 0.2 up.

Based on that they started working on the infrastructure outside my house. This went on for several weeks. They probably replaced every cable and fiber that led to my house. Nada. Zip.

Finally one guy was talking to his network center who suggested that the tech re-flash my cable modem to get the latest firmware. ?????? But...you've replaced it twice! We're on the third unit! OK, here we go...

And, fixed. Right then and there. Whatever was going on, was the result of bad? old? firmware inside not one, but THREE cable modems.

This was over the course of a few months.

My point is, it could be anything. ANYTHING. Even inside your house. Something no one has thought of, because it's so outrageous.
Body Count
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

to AnonymousMIU
said by AnonymousMIU :

Well it's not the server of the game I can say that much. And no one uses the internet heavily. So those both aren't the issue at all. We will see what wow can do when they come out to upgrade today.

And you know this as a fact how? Do you own the server and can see the incoming connections?
pparks1
join:2002-01-01
Westland, MI

pparks1 to AnonymousMIU

to AnonymousMIU
I used to be 8/1 and then 15/1, and now 15/2 and I've never had problem with PC gaming, PS3 gaming or Xbox360 gaming.
markm5
join:2013-10-06
Clearwater, FL

markm5 to adam1991

to adam1991
Thats a good tip to remember. It is suprising that they were so responsive and went to such lengths to repair the cabling and so on. We had to practically get down on our hands and knees to beg them to fix our cable problems, which really was a bad cable up the street. After badgering and many months they finally fixed at least part of the problem though its not yet in entirely a pristine condition.
theone90
join:2013-07-21

theone90 to AnonymousMIU

to AnonymousMIU
upload and ping matters for those FPS games the lower the better I did a speed upgrade and noticed less latency. depending on the server the lowest my ping has ever been is 28ms.

AnonymousMIU
@wideopenwest.com

AnonymousMIU to markm5

Anon

to markm5
We just upgraded our speed tier to 30/3. We haven't noticed any improvement. It's definitely on wowway's end. Just not good service in our area we concluded. We are officially now switching to comcast come tomorrow
AnonymousMIU

AnonymousMIU

Anon

speedtest.net results: 5.73 down and 3.24 up. Unacceptable...
AnonymousMIU

AnonymousMIU

Anon

I'm beginning to wonder if we switch to comcast that this will still persist. I think because speedtest.wowway.com says what we are supposed to be getting and speedtest.net says 2 down and 3 up now, that it's something beyond wowway and mine's control. Really been stressed about this lately. WOW DAN or BILL MI maybe you guys could help?
AnonymousMIU

AnonymousMIU to AnonymousMIU

Anon

to AnonymousMIU
theone90
join:2013-07-21

theone90

what kind of modem do you have?? I bought a motorola sb6141 and my connection drastically improved from the previous arris gateway that wow usually gives customers

AnonymousMIU
@wideopenwest.com

AnonymousMIU

Anon

We have phone service so we can't use that.