spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hayduke
join:2011-12-30
Searcy, AR

hayduke

[Thunderbird] Thunderbird 24 and outlook.com

I've been trying to set up Thunderbird 24 to work with outlook.com and just can't get it to work.

Here are the settings I'm using:

Incoming (IMAP) Server
Server Address: imap-mail.outlook.com
Port: 993
Encrypted Connection: SSL

Outgoing (SMTP) Server
Server address: smtp-mail.outlook.com
Port: 25 (or 587 if 25 is blocked)
Authentication: Yes
Encrypted Connection: TLS

Username : My email address
Password: My password

I keep getting either "Thunderbird failed to find the settings for your email account" or "Username or password invalid. Configuration could not be verified - is the username or password wrong?"

My username and password are not wrong as I can go to outlook.com and log in with no problem.

Thinking it may be a problem with outlook.com I created gmail, yahoo and hushmail accounts and can't get Thunderbird to work with those mail services either so whatever is going on seems specific to my laptop or my installation of Thunderbird.

I've tried uninstalling and manually removing all traces of Thunderbird and reinstalling it but apparently I'm missing something somewhere.

I've been googling this problem for 3 days now and nothing I've found works for me.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Heyduke
gbm97
join:2010-11-26
Monashees BC

gbm97

Server should be pop3.live.com...??

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to hayduke

to hayduke
KB: Hotmail.com (Windows Live webmail), Outlook.com (Outlook webmail)
hayduke
Searcy, AR

hayduke

Thanks for trying but still no joy, I got: "Thunderbird failed to find the settings for your email account."

Thanks,
Heyduke
gbm97
join:2010-11-26
Monashees BC

gbm97

Is firewall set to allow Thunderbird internet access? Went through similar as you.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to hayduke

MVM

to hayduke
For the username, did you use the full "user@outlook.com" and not just "user"?

Mine is using POP3 instead of IMAP. It's on pop3.live.com, using port 995, SSL/TLS, Normal password.

Outgoing is smtp.live.com, port 587, "user@outlook.com", STARTTLS, normal password. (I don't know if this actually works as I usually use Comcast for all outgoing.)
hayduke
Searcy, AR

hayduke

Yes,Thunderbird is allowed internet access through the firewall.

Yes, I did use my full username.

I've tried POP3 instead of IMAP and it won't work either.

I've never run into this problem before setting up a mail client, it has me mystified.

It can only be something unique to this laptop but I have no idea what it could be.

Appreciate the effort,
Heyduke
jupitermoon
join:2011-09-27

jupitermoon to hayduke

to hayduke
There are three places where you need to specify the email address.

As andyross said, you need to specify the full address: username@outlook.com. Whenever I set up a new account, Thunderbird usually gets one of these wrong. Check all of them.

Assuming you named the account Outlook:

1. Tools, Account Settings, Outlook, Email Address
2. Tools, Account Settings, Outlook, Server Settings, User Name
3. Tools, Account Settings, Outgoing Server (SMTP), Outlook, Edit, User Name
hayduke
Searcy, AR

hayduke

Click for full size
I can't get past Mail Account Setup to get to Tools, Account Settings, etc., etc. I'm stuck here:
jupitermoon
join:2011-09-27

jupitermoon

When you get the message "Thunderbird failed to find the settings for your email account" or "Username or password invalid," click on the Manual config button at the bottom of the window, enter your settings manually, and click Done.

I just created a new account. I filled in the Your name, Email address and Password fields in the Mail Account Setup window, checked Remember password, and clicked Continue. Thunderbird got both server names and the SMTP port wrong! I clicked on Manual config, made the corrections, and clicked Done. After you do that, the account should display in the left pane. You can right-click on the blue bar that says Get Mail, Write, etc. and choose Menu Bar. Then you should be able to click on Tools, Account Settings, etc. that I mentioned in my previous message and check the email addresses and other settings. Even after making the corrections I mentioned above, Thunderbird still got the email address wrong for the Outgoing Server (SMTP). That should not stop you from "receiving" email though.

I notice for your Outgoing Server, you have Yes for Authentication. That is not one of the choices I see. Try Normal password.

former qwest
@qwest.net

former qwest to hayduke

Anon

to hayduke
the attachment is for Qwest/C-Link, it may work for you. Does your provider have similar instructions on their website?
hayduke
Searcy, AR

hayduke

Finally got it working, problem was one of two things: Once I got Thunderbird running I found I'd somehow created 2 accounts with the same Username and email addresses or it could have been the wifi I was using (the public library). Using McD's wifi I was able to setup Thunderbird with no problems.

Appreciate all the help,
Heyduke
hayduke

hayduke

Just wanted to let anyone interested know it's definitely the wifi I was using. I went back to where I was while trying to configure Thunderbird yesterday and it can no longer connect to the mail servers.

regards,
heyduke

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to hayduke

Premium Member

to hayduke
So, if I understand you correctly, it appears that the Wifi network in place at your local public library blocks access to the outlook mail servers? Yet, the McDonalds that you went to apparently does not, correct?

While that discussion could / should be it own thread in the proper forum, I don't see why the library would do that. What is so bad about a mail server? Do they block others (Time Warner Cables, Comcast's, Cox, etc)?

--Brian

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to hayduke

Premium Member

to hayduke
Hoping some of these tips help.
»support.mozillamessaging ··· -hotmail
hayduke
Searcy, AR

hayduke to plencnerb

to plencnerb
That how it seems. I can make Thunderbird work everywhere else I go that has wifi but the public library. Who'd a thought it? I sure didn't. Seems cruel though, how can you play the game if they tell you the rules? I knew I had the right info in the right places and yet it wouldn't work. In my defense though this was the first time I'd ever tried to set up a mail client while at the library.

I've emailed the library asking about it but so far no response. If I get an answer I'll post it but I'm not going to hold my breath because I've ask other questions and got no response to those either.
heyduke