Search similar:

uniqs
Jammers
join:2009-01-15
Tillamook, OR

1 recommendation

Jammers

Cable modem login

How do i log into my Cisco DPC 3208 cable modem? It asks for a user name and password and i don't have either one. Did i need to set up the login when i got the modem?

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

defiant

It's pre-set and if it's like the DPC3008, it's not widely known.

Pesimist
join:2007-07-09
Valley, AL

Pesimist to Jammers

to Jammers
Have you tried leaving both blank?

If that didn't work, have you tried: chtrtech/charter

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to Jammers

to Jammers
I doubt it will be any default password, Charter appears to go to special effort to disable the logins on their modems. For example, I have an Arris E-MTA and the Arris Password of the Day generator does not work for it.

DLow
join:2013-11-16
Waxahachie, TX

DLow to Jammers

to Jammers
You as the customer will not be able to log into it period.

-Sub Contractor for charter
Jazzemt
join:2009-02-12
USA

Jazzemt to Jammers

to Jammers
Try user/user or root/root.

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
TP-Link Archer C7

1 edit

geek to Jammers

Premium Member

to Jammers
It's locked down. They obviously don't want the end user to mess with it so my advice is to leave it alone. You do not need a username and password in the modem for service. Plug it in and it should work. If not call Charter and make sure it's properly provisioned. You'll need to give them the modem's HFC MAC address, likely modem serial #, and your account information.

Would it be nice to see stats and such? Absolutely. But Charter has most likely found that they get calls from people looking at logs thinking that there are problems when, in fact, their service is operating in spec.

Heck, I had a SB6121 and went to the office to try to get a SB6141. I wanted another Motorola specifically because I wanted to see stats. They only offered me a DPC3008. I reluctantly took it. The 8 channel bonding capability was worth more to me than viewing logs.
Jammers
Tillamook, OR

Jammers

I keep hearing about 4 and 8 channel bonding. Just what does that mean anyway?

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
TP-Link Archer C7

1 edit

geek

Premium Member

In a cable plant there are 6Mhz blocks of frequencies/channels. Each block is capable of carrying a certain amount of bandwidth (in the US about 38-40 Mbit/s per channel).

As technology advances and speeds go up, cable companies have employed DOCSIS 3.0 (soon going to 3.1) to add more bandwidth capabilities. DOCSIS 3 allows them to bond multiple channels together. New DOCSIS 3 modems can bond channels. Old ones only were capable of bonding 4 channels. New ones can do 8, 16, 32. Most common is 8.

Examples (theoretical top speed)-
4 channels * 40 Mbit/s = 160 Mbit/s
8 channels * 40 Mbit/s = 320 Mbit/s

Just remember that this is bandwidth to the node which is then shared by up to 250 users on that neighborhood node. 250 is ballpark. It varies.

Charter has deployed or is currently deploying eight downstream channels. They currently only have one upstream. That's mainly why they haven't bumped upload speeds yet. Once they deploy more upstream channels, they can then bump upload speeds.

Got it?

Simple way to think of it is adding lanes to a highway. More lanes = more flow.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

And it's important to note that even if you have the 30mbit package, which means technically you can get by with one channel, you still see benefits from channel bonding. Since each channel is shared, by bonding channels you get to spread out that traffic among a wider pipe.

To extend meskinct's analogy, more lanes = more flow, and if you are driving an oversized load you can take up more lanes. But, even if you're driving a smart car, the highway is less congested
Jammers
Tillamook, OR

Jammers

My modem is the Cisco DPC3208. Must be a DOCSIS 3.0 i would think right?

CoolMan
join:2008-01-07
Maryville, TN

CoolMan

Yes it is, as well as 8x4 bonded channels

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to Jammers

to Jammers
It should be blank/blank, at least it is on my DPC3008.

FievelMousey
Premium Member
join:2005-11-17
Ronda, NC

FievelMousey

Premium Member

WOW your levels are way out spec get them fixed if that a true reading your modem. You lucky be connected post that.

TheTechGuru
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

Ya, was going to start a thread on that, two Charter vans were working on a house 2 streets over for 4 hours yesterday and seem to have messed something up.
naizarak
join:2007-08-18
Glendale, CA

3 recommendations

naizarak to Jammers

to Jammers
for the DPC 3208 login is chtruser, pass is charter. but as others said you can't modify anything. the only additional info that unlocks is a VOIP tab

anhisr
join:2001-12-01
Ballwin, MO

anhisr to Jammers

to Jammers
What is considered spec on a Cisco DPC3010 ?
Yuuan
join:2013-01-03
Nome, AK

Yuuan

Charter Specs:

Rx/Downstream: -10 dBm to +10 dBm
Tx/Upstream: 35 dBmV - 49 dBmV

TheTechGuru
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

said by Yuuan:

Charter Specs:

Ya, there is just no way to get it into spec after the tap (AKA from my end).

If I use a splitter or attenuator to bring the downlink into spec the uplink is out of spec. Bring the uplink into spec then the downlink is out of spec.

The only way post tap would be to find a rare one way attenuator.

Charter just sends out contractors and low level BBT's that are not authorized to adjust amps to fix the problem correctly.

It's prob +23 to +25 at the tap, you'd think there would be leakage with it that high.

anhisr
Ballwin, MO

anhisr to Jammers

to Jammers
So I am not in Charter specs. My speeds seems to be OK. The upload is but the download sometimes is sometimes not. Should I bother calling and having a truck sent? Sometimes if is not broke don't fix it is the best rule for Charter. You never know who will show up and make the problem worse.

Downstream Channels
Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 6.3 dBmV 42.2 dB
Channel 2: 6.4 dBmV 42.4 dB
Channel 3: 6.5 dBmV 41.6 dB
Channel 4: 6.3 dBmV 41.9 dB
Channel 5: 6.6 dBmV 41.9 dB
Channel 6: 6.3 dBmV 42.6 dB
Channel 7: 6.3 dBmV 41.9 dB
Channel 8: 6.2 dBmV 42.0 dB

Upstream Channels
Power Level:
Channel 1: 33.7 dBmV
Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant to TheTechGuru

to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

said by Yuuan:

Charter Specs:

Ya, there is just no way to get it into spec after the tap (AKA from my end).

If I use a splitter or attenuator to bring the downlink into spec the uplink is out of spec. Bring the uplink into spec then the downlink is out of spec.

The only way post tap would be to find a rare one way attenuator.

Charter just sends out contractors and low level BBT's that are not authorized to adjust amps to fix the problem correctly.

It's prob +23 to +25 at the tap, you'd think there would be leakage with it that high.

They may not be able to make the adjustments, but they should be setting up a maintenance referral to have a system tech make the necessary adjustments. It's their responsibility to do so, otherwise, it makes them liable for a potential repeat service call. Not to mention inconveniencing the customer with an unnecessary service call.
defiant

defiant to anhisr

to anhisr
said by anhisr:

So I am not in Charter specs. My speeds seems to be OK. The upload is but the download sometimes is sometimes not. Should I bother calling and having a truck sent? Sometimes if is not broke don't fix it is the best rule for Charter. You never know who will show up and make the problem worse.

Downstream Channels
Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 6.3 dBmV 42.2 dB
Channel 2: 6.4 dBmV 42.4 dB
Channel 3: 6.5 dBmV 41.6 dB
Channel 4: 6.3 dBmV 41.9 dB
Channel 5: 6.6 dBmV 41.9 dB
Channel 6: 6.3 dBmV 42.6 dB
Channel 7: 6.3 dBmV 41.9 dB
Channel 8: 6.2 dBmV 42.0 dB

Upstream Channels
Power Level:
Channel 1: 33.7 dBmV
Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

How many activated cable outlets do you have? If you're modem is already off a 3- or 4-way splitter with these levels, then I'd say there's something out of adjustment. A 2-way splitter or none at all, I'd put it off a balanced 3-way splitter and terminate the unused ports.

anhisr
Ballwin, MO

1 edit

anhisr to Jammers

to Jammers
Click for full size
Line comes in to a antronix VRA900 8 output. 4 of them are not being used at this point and have been caped.

TheTechGuru
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

I think that may have a amp'd return, thus not a need for a lot of return power from the modem.

I think your return power is fine IMHO, I don't see how there can be a too low as it auto adjusts to the min needed.
TheTechGuru

TheTechGuru to Jammers

to Jammers
Started my own thread about my signal issues.

»Charter Cant Seem To Comprehend That The System Needs Balancing
Yuuan
join:2013-01-03
Nome, AK

Yuuan to anhisr

to anhisr
Based on the signals you posted, you don't really need that powered 8 way.

One thing that you could do (if you wanted to really bring your modem to spec) is move the "Input" line to a 2-way splitter (not a radio shack one either), run one of the outputs to feed that powered 8 way and just terminate the other one. This will bring your rx down by 3.5 dB and your tx up by 3.5 dB.

1) Is the power line on Output 1 or the VoIP port?
2) Which port feeds the modem?

If the modem is port 1, and power is being fed from the VoIP line, you could "swap them." Power can be fed either one of those 2 ports.