uniqs
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

Installed hardware gone wrong.

hp a1310n. installed a dell st2421L monitor. Fine. Installed 1g of ram and it won't boot. Took the ram out, did clean reboot, including unplug and removal of battery. No video. Old monitor says no video, new monitor say "auto adjusting". First blue screen (not bsod), but the hp bluescreen just keep cycling. Checked the bios and see that the onboard video is grayed out. Looks like there is no option to select onboard or dedicated. Maybe that will change when video card is installed?

Also bought a pci-e x16 video card, but don't want to install it. My understanding is that this computer is pci-e 1.0 and is only compatible with 2.0, however the card is 2.1. Any help appreciated.
I have to go out for the rest of the night, but will check back a.s.a.p. Tried to upgrade wifes computer, now it doesn't work. lol. I told her to let me build a new one....she just wanted to upgrade.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

To start there is a FAQ's page to look through:

»h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf ··· =1815823
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

Thank you sir. I already saw the faq. but must have been tired or something. Went back to the bios and saw that it changed to dedicated video card. Changed it back to onboard and we're good.

Apparently christmas parties and upgrades don't go together.
joewho

joewho

Premium Member

So, it booted properly, I shut it down and tried the ram again. Same thing happened, it went to dedicated video and wouldn't boot. Changed it to onboard and still wouldn't boot. Shut it down, removed the ram and it still won't boot. I guess it just has to sit there a while and mysteriously fix itself.
joewho

joewho

Premium Member

OK, so unplugged everything external. Removed all the ram and re-installed one at a time. Seems that one of the old sticks is/was bad. I have everything, including new ram installed and it works. Plugged everything back in and it's running again.