spc
Search similar:

uniqs

IMCTV_user
@mis.net

IMCTV_user

Anon

Modem lights dropping to "US" light.

Hello. I have searched google and other places to see if my problem is here or there. I have found some similar situations, but nothing like what's happening to me, or at least I don't think it is.

The problem is that at first glace, my internet works great. I have 15meg down, 1meg up package through Intermountian Cable in Pikeville, KY. Now, when I game with Xbox 360 or PS3, even PC, my internet stays stable most of the time, though it will 'STILL' occasionally drop, or I believe 'time out'. When this happens, my router is still on, all lights good(have tested with 2 separate routers, to make sure). My Modem however, all lights on it drop down to the "US" light, which then just blinks anywhere from 2 seconds, to 2 minutes. The longest I've witnessed it doing it was for almost 15 minutes before it came back up. My modem is a Arris CM 550. The lights are as follows, Power, DS, US, Online, and Link. When it's working fine, the lights do as they are suppose to, all of them steady, except the Link light, showing the activity of the connection to modem from router. Another thing of interest is that when the modem finally tries to re-up itself, sometimes the US light with go steady, then the online, then Link will engage and blink, so everything is up and running. Other times after this so called "time out" or "drop" it will completely drop down to the DS light and start up, like a modem reset.

Ok, now here are the things I've tried so far. Obviously, I've been calling the ISP, they've came out several times, insisting my connection is fine, and very strong, with no breaks in my line, which is directly from the hub box or whatever outside about 50 feet away. Which just for the sake of it, I had them change the whole line, not once, but 2 different times. So my line is good. And like I said earlier, I've used two different routers. The routers are both Netgear, one is a N600 the other a R6300. To fully rule out the router, I've even had the modem directly connected to once my PC for a day, and my Xbox 360 for 2 days. Both streaming movies from Xbox video, youtube, netflix, etc. With the same problems with "time outs" or "drops" or whatever this is. So I got them to change the modem, not once, but twice. I have argued with this company for almost a year now with this same problem. Why haven't I switch already? Good question. The answer is because only AT&T DSL is available here, which they tell me all their nodes are full and they can't add new customers right now. Been trying for 3 months so far. I hate to go to DSL, because this cable is fast. But it's useless to me if it keeps dropping randomly when streaming movies or playing online games. Yes, randomly. It doesn't matter if I'm completely streaming, or just relaxing talking to some buddies on xbox live in a party chat. It will up and drop whenever. So it doesn't stay out long enough for me to call them so they can trace it or whatever the hell it is they can do. This is very frustrating.

So Please, if anyone can shed some kind of light, or insight into what I can direct them to, to fix my problem, I would forever been grateful!

Jabbu
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06

Jabbu

Premium Member

Re: Modem lights dropping to "US" light.

Post signal levels from 192.168.100.1

Most likely your upstream level is above 50db or you have a noise issue affecting the upstream path and need a tech to identify and correct.

IMCTV_user
@imctv.com

IMCTV_user

Anon

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to do as you asked, but I can not access my modems diagnostics pages, if it has one.

I've had several techs come out and say my signal is fine. I'm not sure what the level was, the next time they come out I'll write everything down. But I was thinking the same thing, I should be able to see it from my modem, but like I said, it wont let me access that page. I have it directly connected to my PC.

That is another problem. The techs know what's going on, and have called me to ask how my connection was, because they saw a problem. But they never fix it. I Don't know what to do beside go off on them at their home office.

Jabbu
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06

Jabbu to IMCTV_user

Premium Member

to IMCTV_user
Who is your provider?

Open a command prompt and type ipconfig, the default gateway is your modem, try loading that in a browser to find signal levels.

US/Upstream flashing on a modem means, the modem is trying to lock on a upstream to get online. They say your signal is fine, your modem is saying it is not.

IMCTV_user
@imctv.com

IMCTV_user

Anon

I have did this, and it wont load. It gives me a message saying "access is unavailable".

I know how to access DSL modems, and I could access the last motorola I had 3 years ago. Not sure what the problem is, unless it's locked down?

The ISP on speed tests is listed as Mikrotec Internet Services, but the company I went to is called Intermountain Cable.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Its not going to be locked down. I dont think motorola ever developed a firmware that locks down that page. Ide remove the cable from the modem and reboot computer. Than try to go to the levels page without reconnecting the cable. See if you can access it than. after you access the page reconnect the cable and see what your levels say. To me it sounds like you have issues with your computer.

IMCTV_user
@imctv.com

IMCTV_user

Anon

Why would it be my computer? The issue persists weather it's connected to my computer, ps3 or xbox.