Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx

[Need Info] best MNVOs reselling AT&T network, iPhone-2

Girlfriend has been on AT&T forever, now un(der)employed and looking to save money. We're in Western Mass where T-Mo & Sprint have extremely limited coverage so it must be AT&T.

Seeking the PagePlus of GSM: low/no activation fee, answer their phones, sensible people/website/plans. Such an beast exist?

Question: does AT&T give it's offspring Aio Wireless preferable treatment over other MVNOs? (eg: roaming?). It's been so pleasant dealing with PagePlus that I'm bias to going with a smaller company but...

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR

1 recommendation

Depends on how much data you need.
For a little data, H2Owireless is good for their $30 plan.
For more data, Straighttalk can't be beat.
For a family plan, net10.

jap
Premium
038xx
Thanks Toby. I'll look into H2Owireless. Last I checked ST charges quite a bit just to get up and running. It's not clear whether resellers will cover a few of the towns she travels to so we're gonna try an MVNO or two knowing that she may have to go back to AT&T.

Anyone here dealt with Black Wireless? Neighbor likes them but he struggled to articulate why.

ST cell

@mycingular.net

1 recommendation

said by jap:

Last I checked ST charges quite a bit just to get up and running.

I've had the ST BYOD plan with an AT&T phone and aside from the first month of service the only cost to get connected was a ~$9.00 SIM.

jap
Premium
038xx
Yeah, I went and checked and it's only $7 for a GSM phone. We were thinking of going with ST but probably gonna try H2O first 'cause they answer their phones. Setting up a WiFi in her living space (which she has not had) which might make a gig/month enough for when out-and-about use. If not then will move to ST in a couple months.

Anyone know how to overcome the MMS issues people report having on AT&T MVNOs?

halfempty

join:2001-04-28
Miami, FL

1 edit
The MMS thing on ST usually just takes a couple of days to catch up. When you first set everything up outbound MMS works, but inbound sometimes doesn't work. In a day or two inbound MMS usually starts working.

I've been with ST for close to a year and can tell you the service is not bad for the price. It is NOT the same as AT&T postpaid, but they do have some roaming, which most MVNOs don't. Their customer service is the worst, if you have a problem and can't figure it out on your own it's hit or miss with them.

The best AT&T MVNO customer service is GoPhone, AIO, and Airvoice Wireless. Depends on what's most important to you.

Edit: Forgot to mention, AT&T iPhones have to be unlocked to work on Aio, not so on the other AT&T resellers. Androids are no problem.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
GoPhone is actually AT&T's prepaid arm. Never an MVNO as they were around before Cingular under the original AT&T Wireless.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to jap
Net 10 and Straight Talk are owned by TracFone. Look at the TracFone site. My LG 840g runs on the full GSM band.
Three texts cost one penny. Mine is 3G/WiFi, 3T/3M, Bluetooth, virtual keyboard, and swipe screen. No GPS or maps; songs and games are limited. Internet is speedy due to Blekko. It's smart but no Android. Micro chip can be upgraded to 32GB; camera is quite decent.

Minutes on my phone are triple. Pay for 30 and 90 are added to your phone. Buy talk time direct, from phone or airtime cards. I by mine direct. The least amount is $10.. If you buy a phone that does not work, the company will work with you to rectify the problem. Their staff is excellent problem solvers.

BTW, after I had the other contract phones I switched to no contract TracFone and I am very happy.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
reply to jap
I just switched two lines to H2O and the process was pretty smooth. I'll eventually be switching all 5 lines on my account away from ATT. So far, I've been impressed with H2O.

jap
Premium
038xx
reply to jap
@halfempty -- Thanks for the mention on MMS performance on StraightTalk. The GF decided upon H20 Wireless for the CustServ aspect. In my limited exposure I must say Airvoice CS is refreshingly good. They answer tmy call 2mins (literally) before closing time : smart, casual, to the point, and the agent sold her employer out of a deal by offering an unsolicited warning: their software only allows 500MB at at a time to be added to an account. Result, if you buy a 1GB or larger plan you must burn through the first 500MB and actually place a fricken phone call to CS and they manually add another 500MB. A silly imitation that may soon be resolved and I would have signed-on just because that caliber of CS is so goddamn rare. But the GF said, nope, go with H20. Then holidays and life got in the way and it hasn't happened yet but will.

@gigahurtz -- thanks for the H20 experience. Did you order your SIMs from them or pickup from a local retail partner? I can't recall which is the better deal ... or if it even matter$. Will probably hit BestBuy on Sunday for the GF's SIM.

Cheers all! Thanks for the help. I now have decent comprehension on how this racket operates.

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
I ordered the SIM on Amazon. It's much cheaper and shipping was pretty quick. I ordered from a seller called Desi Cell. They shipped right away and I got exactly what I needed. I'd highly recommend them if you don't mind waiting a few days.

jap
Premium
038xx
Will check it. We're not in a hurry.

Thanks!

RobNyc
Premium
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to jap
Been using ST ATT sim for 2yrs+ their MMS has had some issues but gotten fixed fast. Their ATT 3G/4G has excellent signal where T-Mo/Sprint would not get service (Under Trains). Now after trying their T-Mo sim for 2-3 months sure the coverage is not as great as ATT but the speeds are def faster and no 2gb caps either with T-Mo sim. But I prefer better coverage than anything else so I went back to my ATT sim, but whenever you try to re-use the previous sim they send you a new one.

ST for the price can't be beaten by no one, sure their CS is horrible but I can do a lot of things via their email help, their new live chat, so I avoid the phones. In this past year I've tried T-Mobile Prepaid $70 plan for 6 months, ported my Sprint account when contract expired to T-Mo then to ST. I just got GoPhone and ported my # from ST to it and it's been the worse experience of my life! Everyone luvs GoPhone but I dont know why only because it works without bothering with any APNs thats it.

Honestly, AT&T LTE is super fast great but where AT&T would get coverage on the 4G the LTE would have issues. Also, LTE uses so much more data that I ate 1.5gb in 2 weeks without even noticing and mind you, I'm always on WiFi at Home/Work. My bandwidth apps say I've used 5.32gb on Wifi in 3 weeks and 0.93gb on Mobile, but when I dial 611 it says i have 300mb data left good thing my plan ends on the 17th.
Now the problem here is this, I am not able to receive MMS whatsoever, I am able to send but not receive. I've tried on Android, iPhone etc. Of course iPhone iMessage MMS works because its imessage, but if I turn off iMessage and try real mms they get mine but I don't get theirs. I've spent more than 5hours on the phone w/ GP and their dumb Reps, if u thought ST was bad try theirs. They're as bad as well. I even replaced my GP sim at the corp store and nothing yet. My month is almost over and if its not fixed i am just porting back to ST and call it a day.

Edit: I called them on Tuesday to check the status of my case number and there was no ETA. Next day GoPhone messaged me a MMS and called me. There was a porting issue. Now its fixed, but trying to get in touch with someone to see if I can get some credit.