uniqs
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

[CATV] A question for CoxJimR

Does Cox have any plans or are they atleast looking at online activation of cable cards?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

dont hold your breath. they want that $30 to slide a card in.
Maltz
join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR
Calix 844G
Netgate SG-2100
Ubiquiti U6-LR

Maltz

said by dvd536:

dont hold your breath. they want that $30 to slide a card in.

They don't require a service call for cable cards, at least not universally. I picked one up last week at the Cox store, and they just wrote down a number to call to activate it once I had everything hooked up. They even gave me the requisite tuning adaptor for free.

CoxVegas
join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas to ajwees41

to ajwees41
Are you referring to being able to do it through cox.com or something else?

Las Vegas at least (and I want to say most other markets, but I'd have to check) do self-service cable card installs now.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

I think he is talking about the ability to update pairing data and send pairing hits from a online web interface.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

what Hard Harry said.

CoxJimR
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Atlanta, GA

CoxJimR to ajwees41

Premium Member

to ajwees41
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I don't know the answer but I will check and see what I can find out. Since there are only about 4 other people on the floor right now, and most of them are numbers wonks, I will have to get back to you late next week.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

thanks it would cut down on service calls.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX to CoxJimR

Premium Member

to CoxJimR
Jim,
The biggest problem with CableCARDs and Tuning Adapters, is that the first Cox employee to add a CableCARD and TA to your account, very often does not know the correct procedure, provisioning, adding the correct codes to the account, etc. Which often results in a truck-roll, when one is not needed. A dedicated CableCARD support staff person, or supervisor, should also be available via telephone.

Every CableCARD transaction at a Cox Solutions Store should be done or overseen by a supervisor or store manager, that has been thoroughly trained on CableCARDs. There should be at least one person that is thoroughly trained in getting the account codes correct.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Good idea, but I doubt its going to happen. If anything Cox is downsizing it's support staff, and outsourcing call volume to non local markets. Considering Cox seems to not like Cablecards, i doubt they will spend the money and effort. Its a a good request though.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to BryanInPHX

Premium Member

to BryanInPHX
exactly and if the customers were able to do it via online then they could look at the numbers and make sure they match instead of making sure the techs on the phone understand what is being said on the phone.
ajwees41

ajwees41 to Hard Harry7

Premium Member

to Hard Harry7
they are combining Markets like Omaha has a call center I think, but no local management that is in the Arkansas system.

CoxJimR
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Atlanta, GA

CoxJimR to ajwees41

Premium Member

to ajwees41
So, what I have been able to find out is that the product manager does think that it's a good idea that is not on the road map. Does that mean we'll do it? It gets reviewed by a large group and balanced with other priorities, so I can't really say if or when it might make it on to a road map. While we have activation fees for other devices, there's no charge to move a cable card from one device to another at this point.