spc
Search similar:

uniqs

roztaylor
join:2000-10-21
Madison, AL

roztaylor

[hard drive] Need Toshiba P200 ST2061 schematic

My Toshiba P200 ST2061 has 2 SATA 200GB HDDs. The c-drive is going bad. I want to make the d-drive (which is good) the c-drive. I don't have a schematic. I need one to see if there is a jumper I can change.

I tried calling Toshiba support, but the tech who answered the phone insisted that my laptop only had one HDD not 2...that what I was seeing was a single HDD partitioned. He would not listen to me, so I hung up. I can read an invoice that shows 2 separate SATA HDDs ordered, I can read Device Manager that shows two separate Toshiba HDDs, and I can read a SpinRite screen that shows two internal HDDs.

win7 Disk Management shows Disk 0 properties to be: Location 0 (Channel 0, Target 0, Lun 0) and Disk 1 properties to be Location 0 (Channel 2, Target 0, Lun 0).

The Toshiba spec sheet for this specific laptop says that both HDDs are user removable. I haven't opened the HDD area yet to see whether or not anything is labeled. I'm much more comfortable working from a schematic.

I tried searching Toshiba's web site for a schematic with no success. If anyone can point me to one I would appreciate it!

Thanks!
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

I couldn't find the proper manual, but here's what you can do. In a well lit area, turn the laptop over and look for a hard drive ICON on a cover plate. See if you can locate two and they might be labelled differently like C and D for example. Or they could be the same. Sometimes it is one plate for both.

Remove the battery. If one plate, remove that and visually inspect for multiple drives. If two plates, then you should be able to remove the cover plates and switch them.

roztaylor
Madison, AL

roztaylor

Super...I'll try that now!
roztaylor

roztaylor

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I had two drive compartments. I have attached two pictures of one drive and one picture of the other drive. I'm thinking that the drive (two pictures) is the Disk 0 (c-drive) because it is in the larger of the two drive compartments.

I don't see any screws to remove to release either drive. There is some space on the side of the compartment where the black plastic (?) flexible tab is located. The flexible tab does not appear to be strong enough to pull the drive off of the connector on the opposite side of the drive.

It appears that I need to slide the drive towards that empty space to disconnect the drive from the connector. Do I need a special tool for that?

Let me know if I need to take a better picture of something.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

No special tool needed, that's what the tab is for - there shouldn't be much resistance if the drive's not screwed in. If it does snap off, you can use a screwdriver to gently push the drive out from the sides of the SATA connector.

roztaylor
Madison, AL

roztaylor

OK...think I'll have dinner first. I'll post back after I get the nerve up. It's been years since I've done this. Used to do it all the time, then I changed jobs.

BTW, I purchased this laptop in September 2007!
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

I did an SSD upgrade on my mom's mid-2008 Toshiba, and it was very easy. I don't recall there being any screws holding the drive in.
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2 to roztaylor

Premium Member

to roztaylor
Yes, the pic with the wide black clip seems to show what is holding things in. Note that the metal you see is a carrier. The actual drive is secured (usually with screws) to it. So from your perspective at this time it looks like one unit, but it's not. And the two carriers may or may not be the same.

Bottom line is, you should not need to force anything. It should "pop" out or use slight leverage to unplug the data and power connectors, but that's it.

roztaylor
Madison, AL

roztaylor

Decided to go to dinner (Mexican--new restaurant recently opened here).

Since I had the covers off already, it barely took a minute to remove and swap the drives. Those flimsy plastic "grippers" held up and the drives disconnected without any additional help.

Am booting the system now to check Device manager and ensure both drives are readable.

Thanks for all the info and support!
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Yeah! Glad that worked for you.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex to roztaylor

Premium Member

to roztaylor
How are you going to boot the system and check Device Manager? Isn't the OS now on Drive D? Won't you need to tell the BIOS to boot to Drive D (the drive going bad)? Are you going to install Windows on the good drive (Drive C)? Do you have the installation disks?

roztaylor
Madison, AL

roztaylor

I've done a clean install of win7. The old system was Vista. So far the install went well...OS and updates appear to have installed on the new C-drive (was my old D-drive).

BIOS still recognizes the drive as "S3" instead of changing it to "S1" (what I expected when I swapped the two drives' locations). I looked for jumpers on each drive, but didn't see any.

Other unexpected occurrence is that during the boot cycle, after the logo screen (where you press F2 to get into the BIOS), I get a screen that asks me to select which Windows to start. The default one, is my win7 on C-drive. The 2nd one on the list tries to start something from RealTek, and never boots into Windows.

I formatted the "new" D-drive and there is nothing there in file manager. In Disk Management the D-drive shows the Toshiba hidden partition, but it is not accessible. It also does not have a drive letter. SpinRite sees it as does DiskPart command in a CMD window.

That 2nd startup screen occurs if I go into BIOS and make S3 the first HDD to boot from, AND the "windows choice" screen does not display when I do that.
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

said by roztaylor:

I've done a clean install of win7. The old system was Vista. So far the install went well...OS and updates appear to have installed on the new C-drive (was my old D-drive)....

When you did this clean install of win7, was the second drive connected? And did it also have the old windows installed?

roztaylor
Madison, AL

roztaylor

The second drive was installed. I don't think the old windows was still there...but there might have been a bad install of win7 (or a partial bad install) on it. I had tried to install win7 a couple of times before I discovered there were problems with the old C-drive and decided to swap them. I could pull the 2nd drive out and see whether or not the system boots "normally".
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

said by roztaylor:

... I had tried to install win7 a couple of times before I discovered there were problems with the old C-drive and decided to swap them. I could pull the 2nd drive out and see whether or not the system boots "normally".

Dont' bother. I once did a similar thing and it was a big regret. For some reason if you do a fresh install on C: drive while there is a 2nd drive with Windows on it, Win7 takes note of it (on the C: drive). I was able to figure out enough to get windows to forget about it, but ultimately decided to remove the second drive and re-do the fresh install with only that one drive connected - my suggestion to you.

roztaylor
Madison, AL

roztaylor

OK. Thanks for the advice. I will consider it.