Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to n_w95482

Re: XFX launches custom-cooled R9 290 and 290X

said by n_w95482:

For Nvidia, I always pick EVGA.

+2 or 3 or wherever we're at.

I've always had great service from EVGA, I had to RMA my old 560ti and their service was excellent, I've been sold on them ever since. My EVGA 9800+ before it was flawless, and so are my current 670s all EVGA.

My only AMD card has been my MSI r7970 Lightening, and it runs great, if somewhat hot but no complaints after a year.

EQ
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

1 edit
I completely forgot my one RMA story with EVGA. I bought a 7800 GTX from them in 2005, right after launch. I watercooled it a couple of years later and all went well for a few months, then it started artifacting all over the place (from what I could tell, bad RAM or cold solder joint).

I contacted them to ask if I could still RMA. They said the warranty was still valid if there was no physical damage/alterations to the video card and I installed the stock cooling before sending it in, which I did. I got the replacement a couple of weeks later, which worked perfectly. I got a good deal on a Radeon X1900XT in the meantime though (one of my all-time favorite cards, RIP), so I gave it to a coworker.

As for MSI video cards, I bought a Radeon HD 6970 of theirs back in 2011. It ran for about a year before one of the VRMs died. The first RMA resulted in a card with a rather severe fan speed issue. The second RMA had a thermal pad and paste on the GPU, which caused it to nearly hit 100 C with light load. I fixed that one myself and sold the card.
--
KI6RIT

El Quintron
I dunno, lemme check my trollodex
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by n_w95482:

I got a good deal on a Radeon X1900XT in the meantime

A guy I game with was rocking that very card for about 5 years, sounds like it was a good deal.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
It was one of those cards that comes along every so often that's almost ahead of its time from being so good. I wasn't expecting it to be much faster than the 7800, but it completely wiped the floor with it in the games I played at the time, BioShock especially - I went from 20-30 FPS on medium-high to 40-60 at max settings. The abundance of shaders made it last quite a long time.
--
KI6RIT