how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dd3mon

join:2003-08-21
Fort Wayne, IN

[FiOS] FiOS Amber Internet Light Repeatedly

Ever since about Thanksgiving I've been getting an amber internet light (unable to pull a WAN IP address from DHCP) every week or so.

I call the fiber solutions center, they end up having me power off my router, send a "bounce" to my ONT and then it comes back up and pulls an IP address fine (maybe a little slowly).

This has happened about 6 times since Thanksgiving. I've spent hours on the phone w/ Frontier and every time they get it back working, but are unable to determine why it keeps happening or prevent it in the future (even high level network engineers).

Typically I reboot my router, reboot the ONT in the garage, and try a factory reset on my router to try and fix it by myself - unfortunately none of these work without calling in and having them do stuff on their end with my router off.

They're supposed to send a tech out tomorrow for the 2nd time (the first guy they sent a couple weeks ago did literally nothing). Just wondering if anyone here is super knowledgeable about the FiOS system and has any idea what's going on - so far Frontier does not.

Two interesting factors that may be contributing:

#1 They changed my account number a few weeks before this started happening.
#2 They started building a house on the vacant lot next door to me - this lot had quite a bit of water erosion and the underground utility lines (including the fiber optic FiOS lines) were exposed prior to them starting to build. If the builders simply packed dirt on top to fill it in I could see how the line could have been bent.

wasvznowftr

join:2010-07-13

Amber internet light indicates network connectivity, but no IP.

Take note of the IP you're pulling. Bad IP blocks are not uncommon.

If you are maintaining network connectivity (you're ONT doesn't drop), then the construction next door has nothing to do with your issue.

dd3mon

Fort Wayne, IN

1 edit

I'll take note of my IPs, see if I can find a pattern - that would make a lot of sense.

A tech in Washington State said it'd be extremely unlikely for me to be having problems with the fiber optic line without losing connection completely - but he had seen it before in cases where the line was slightly bent. The only real evidence for this being the case is another tech tried to run some diagnostics on my ONT and couldn't get them to complete - tons of errors. However my TV service has been fine (outside of the guide & on demand going down when my internet does) - so again this seems extremely unlikely.

dd3mon

Fort Wayne, IN
reply to dd3mon

A tech came out today and replaced my router & ONT hoping that will fix the issue, they still don't really know what's going on either.

New Gen3i Actiontec is nice, finally gigabit Ethernet ports.

I'll update this post sometime in the future if the problem comes back again.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

Oh, I wonder if I could get one of those routers -- still limping along with the ol' MI424-RW Rev C. Have to power cycle it every few days in order to kick the DHCP server back into working order.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Cyberian75

join:2004-03-16
Beaverton, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to dd3mon

I was having an exactly same problem around that time. On the day a tech was scheduled to come out, however, it was somehow fixed. Over the course of 3 days, I called them 8 times to "trigger" an IP assignment.

It's been very stable since the anomaly.

cityairlines

join:2013-10-27

I have the same problem about once a month, solid internet light and no internet. It's been happening for a year or so, during which time they replaced the ONT, then the router, and it still happens.

Rather than call anymore, I walk out to my ONT and pull the green connector out of the ONT (this feeds it power), wait a few seconds, and plug it back in. I have to do this because my battery pack is mounted to the ceiling in my garage, which has 14' ceilings.

dd3mon

Fort Wayne, IN
reply to dd3mon

Replacing my ONT & Router seems to have fixed the problem.

I have one guess about why, my old router listed a convoluted PPPoE connection, the new one does not. When they changed my account number a few months back, that could have reset my account status to "normal" instead of "old style PPP", and the new router is set to work right without PPP where the old router wasn't - that's my best guess.

Either that or there really was some strange, slight hardware problem w/ my ONT or Router - I'm just glad it's working.

Cyberian75

join:2004-03-16
Beaverton, OR

1 edit

They replaced my ONT, too, as it wasn't responding on their end. The same thing happened a few days ago.