share rss forum feed

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne

[Need Info] about setting up a blog - don't know where else to post this

asking for a friend who is setting up a blog and who want's a blog host with software that allows readers of the blog to post comments "As a Guest" without having to give up their identity and without having to have a Gmail, Twitter, or Facebook account.

What's out that that allows that option, if anything?

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

[Need Info] Re: about setting up a blog - don't know where else to post this

said by Gem:

What's out that that allows that option, if anything?

Spam, more spam, and still more spam.

As far as I know, most blog software can be configured for such requirements, and most do not require twitter or facebook accounts.

Most will require an email address, but won't really check whether the address given is valid. You can probably turn off that requirement.

With or without requiring email addresses, you will get comment spam. But you are likely to get a lot more if you don't require email addresses. The requirement at least slows the spammers down a tad, though they can still automate their way through that requirement.

If you are asking about a public blog host -- I blog at wordpress.com. When I check the discussion settings, there is a box "Comment author must fill out name and email". The box is checked, but I could presumably uncheck it if I wanted unrestricted access. The spam filtering software used by wordpress actually works pretty well. I don't know about other blog hosts, as I have not tried using them. Maybe they also have such options.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3; firefox 24.0

Gem
Premium

thank you. i'll pass on the wordpress recommend to my friend.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

I have comments on my web site (which uses WordPress) powered by Disqus. They have pretty good comment spam protection plus they allow anonymous comments. You don't have to have a WordPress or Disqus account to port comments.
--
Tom
Tom's Tech Blog

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 edit

Hi Tom,

We discussed this earlier in PMs. The "Comment as a Guest" feature is nice. I've recommended that to my friend and sent him a link to your blog as an example.

Guess that makes it now two recommends for Wordpress. I certainly like it better than the Google blogging Comment options.

FWIW, I like the content at your blog, too.