uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

Thermos recommendation

Anyone still use a thermos ? I don't see people using them, but my kids got one for my birthday a few months ago and I have to say, I love it ! Well, I love the idea.... I'm on thermos # 2 in just 6-8 months. Problem is the plastic "spout" on both have broken. Both have the design that lets you open and close it via a pop-up spout. The first one cracked and broke into multiple pieces. On the second one, it came out completely but I was able to re-insert it, but since then, it isn't sealed 100% (it seeps if it's laid down). It does maintain the temperature quite well.

I haven't went to any stores yet and looking at the Thermos website, for example, doesn't show pictures or details of the "spout". Having the ability to pour it while keeping it closed is convenient, but I'm more than willing to forgo that to gain durability.

Any suggestions ?

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5

Sorry, no longer use one however if I was buying something like that I wanted to last I would probably stick with name brands. One that comes to mind is Coleman...usually well made products.

Red_Menace
poking around since 1978

join:2001-11-03
Littleton, CO
reply to Hall

Those popup spouts are the weak link with pretty much any brand thermos. The ones I use are stainless steel (a bit tougher) with a wide mouth (can be used for soups), but they are from a few years ago before the race to the bottom. Like so much these days, you need to look for something that is built well, from a company with decent customer service.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Hall

I have this: »www.thermos.com/products/vacuum-···tle.aspx

It doesn't use a pop-up spout, rather you unscrew the bottle partly and can pour via specially designed slits in the cap.

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ

Looks like a good one
Only thing missing is: Made in USA

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

1 edit
reply to Hall

Stanley makes some good ones and if you click on the links you can get an idea of how long they are good for keeping your stuff hot, or cold. It looks like 24 hours hot and 32 hours cold looks like the longest times.
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Liberty

said by Liberty:

Have links for any that are made in the US ?

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Kilroy

I'm not that concerned with keeping, in my case, coffee hot for 24 hours.... 4-6 hours is more than long enough. It's the "spout" or closure that I want quality of. One of those had a video that showed that and it appears to be the type that gbcue described. That is better than the pop-up garbage, I'm sure, but ideally I want just a simple, threaded one that is removed entirely. Pretty hard for that to fail, leak, break !

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Hall

Stanley thermoses are by far the best made of anything out there! They last forever and being stainless can take all kinds of abuse. They cost a little more but are worth it.

wolfy339

join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA

Another vote for Stanley thermoses. They are inexpensive and do last a long time. The one thing to be aware of is that you should not use vinegar and baking soda to clean them as it will cause the metal to corrode.

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Hall

No
But if I was looking for a thermos, I would try

Buying domestic is tough
I just spent 3x my budget on a Made in USA 36" gas range...ouch

said by Hall:

said by Liberty:

Have links for any that are made in the US ?

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Hall

I would just say to head over to REI or Bass Pro or similar store and see them in person. They should have many types. Maybe even look on-line at those store, note a couple and go there and check them out. On-line you would be able to see reviews of the items as well. I personally would pick a metal one as it would be more durable. But you also need to consider if you just want to hold a drink or food. (by your post I assume just drink)
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Liberty

said by Liberty:

But if I was looking for a thermos, I would try

Buying domestic is tough

I won't go out of my way to "buy American". If I'm looking at two items, one American-made, the other not, and the price is competitive, I will pay a bit more for the American-made product, but I do have a limit....

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Voxxjin

said by Voxxjin:

I would just say to head over to REI or Bass Pro...

Why those stores ? Do they have a "big" selection ? Both of those have locations in Cincinnati, which is 45-60 minutes from me.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

said by Hall:

said by Voxxjin:

Why those stores ? Do they have a "big" selection ? Both of those have locations in Cincinnati, which is 45-60 minutes from me.

No particular reason other than I know they have them. For outdoor and camping items, I prefer those stores. But I don't think I would drive 45-60 min away for only a thermos. That is why I said "or similar store" not knowing what you may have around you.

I often look on-line for outdoor items that I want, check the reviews, then if I still think the item is good, go into the store and get hands-on with the item. Plus if you find an item you like in the store, if you can, hop on-line with your phone and do a quick search of who else carries it, it could be that Walmart, Target or Amazon also carry it but slightly cheaper.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

wolfy339

join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

said by Voxxjin:

Kroger (if you have that or a store of it's ilk around) should have Stanley. Basing this on the fact that in my neck of the woods Fred Meyer (owned by Kroger) carries that brand.
--
Computer: Antec 850w PSU, ASUS M4A89GTDPRO-USB3, AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2GHZ, ATI Radeon 5770, SB XFI Fatal1ty, 8GB Kingston DDR3, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, KIS 2012, Samsung SyncMaster 2443BWX, Frontier DSL 768/128 w/ Westell 6100 C90 & Linksys WRT120N

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

said by Voxxjin:

Dick's also has a good selection as well.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
reply to Hall

I use one of those fairly large stainless steel Nissans. I don't know if it's the greatest, but it gets the job done and I've had it for years.

Tim

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to Hall

The Nissan bottles are actually Thermos brand.
»www.thermos.com/product_catalog.···ode=niss
»www.amazon.com/Thermos-Nissan-St···0009V4FM
»www.cabelas.com/product/Thermos-···3342.uts

Cabelas has a store in Columbus. (I know it is further than Cincinnati but is is a Cabelas store, an experience )